Microsoft Ditches Flash in Windows 8 Metro IE10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Microsoft Ditches Flash in Windows 8 Metro IE10

For the web to move forward and for consumers to get the most out of touch-first browsing, the Metro style browser in Windows 8 is as HTML5-only as possible, and plug-in free. The experience that plug-ins provide today is not a good match with Metro style browsing and the modern HTML5 web.

Quote:
Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers.

Pretty much what Steve Jobs said about Flash over a year ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 02:36 PM

Absolutely, but I think MS's implementation in Windows 8 is what is flawed here. I find this quote the most telling in that regard.

Quote:
This post is about a big change in Metro style IE, which is the plug-in free experience. In Windows 8, IE 10 is available as a Metro style app and as a desktop app. The desktop app continues to fully support all plug-ins and extensions.
It's this schizophrenic user experience that will be the downfall* of Windows 8. Windows 8, in trying to be both a stripped down tablet user experience and a full blown desktop user experience, will frustrate users as they try to determine which mode they need or want to be in depending on what it is they are trying to accomplish.

I know that you have another thread on Windows 8 here that is more appropriate for this converstation so I'll compose my thoughts on this matter further and put them there.

*Downfall as in the same type of reception/derision that Vista experienced.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 03:46 PM
Veteran

I can't wait for Flash to be gone in regular Windows as well. It's one of the most problematic pieces of software for both security issues and updates. If there was an alternative, Flash would have been uninstalled long ago.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 03:55 PM

The funny thing is that on my Mac I only have one plug-in and one extension installed for Safari.

The plug-in is Flash for the times I want or need to view Flash content and the Extension is ClickToFlash to block the plethora of Flash on all the sites I visit on the web but don't want to see.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 03:59 PM

And QuickTime too. I spend entirely too much time disabling their automatic updates and their various autostart apps and services. I hate giving up CPU cycles and RAM to these useless processes.

Off-topic rhetorical question: Why the heck does Google Picasa need QT installed in order to import MP4 videos from my camera when Windows Media Player handles them fine?

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

No, I don't want to get into a iPad vs Android argument but it did make me think.

While this announcement really hurts Adobe, I think it will really hurt Android too. If Flash is gone, then the #1 reason for buying an Android device over an iPad (and by extension a W8 tablet) goes away.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 04:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
While this announcement really hurts Adobe, I think it will really hurt Android too. If Flash is gone, then the #1 reason for buying an Android device over an iPad (and by extension a W8 tablet) goes away.
My thoughts exactly. As an avid iOS device user, this is excellent news as it puts more pressure on web developers to finally ditch Flash and relegate it to the archives of the WWW.

Which in turn plays in the hands of Apple.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Actually it plays into the hands of Apple and Windows. It forces Android and presumably QNX next year to find another compelling competitive advantage.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 05:36 PM

I wouldn't worry about that Hugh. Marketing may make you think that Flash is the #1 reason for buying Android but the truth is that the 'anything but Apple' sentiment has more to do with it than Flash. At least that has been my very limited experience when asking people why they choose Android over iOS.

It's a shame that people aren't making these decisions based on merit alone. I would have more respect for Androids market share numbers if they did.

Anyway, I don't believe people buy these devices mainly for their web browsing abilities, and therefore Flash abilities, anyway. They mainly buy them for the apps that they can carry in their pockets. Being able to load your email, calendar and address book, all of which are app based even on Android, and running any myriad of tiny single use utility app is the reason people like to carry these things in their pockets.

Even the vast majority of games people play on these things are app based not Flash based games that play in the browser. The experience of app based games is far superior to Flash based ones on these devices.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino Cerullo View Post
Marketing may make you think that Flash is the #1 reason for buying Android but the truth is that the 'anything but Apple' sentiment has more to do with it than Flash.
Agreed - I picked android over iOS without even knowing about flash. I've received two substantive free OS updates in the 15 months since I got my android phone and have paid a grand total of $8 for the dozens of highly useful (well, mostly useful!) apps that inhabit said phone. I don't think the demise of flash is going to convince me to bite the apple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in