H-P discontinues webOS handsets, tablets - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 04:28 PM
Member #1

Holy mackeral.

I gave it 12 to 18 months but that was less than 2 months!

Amazing, HP has now flopped with tablets two years in a row. Wonder what we'll get next year!

post #3 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 04:34 PM
Veteran

They are also planning on spinning off the PC division.

Crazy. They were offering the Touchpad to employees at a significant discount earlier this month.

post #4 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgclarke View Post
They are also planning on spinning off the PC division.
I also read this rumor, but I doubt it is true.

Edit: well, I guess it's no longer a rumor and they're indeed looking at becoming (primarily) a services company.
post #5 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 05:14 PM

I'm actually not surprised by the news regarding webOS devices and I doubt much will become of webOS itself. It may become an embedded OS for their printer line but you can pretty much forget about any integration they had planned on the desktop, this in light of the fact that they seem to want to get out of the PC business altogether.

Now, the news of them looking to spin-off the Personal Systems Group does come as a surprise seeing as they are the largest seller of personal computers. Then again margins in the Windows PC hardware business are so thin it's easy to understand why they would want to get out of that business just like IBM did a few years ago. As the largest seller of PCs they may be able to sell off that business for a descent sum and the disaster that was the Palm purchase won't look so bad.

Back in 2004 IBM sold it's PC division to Lenovo for $1.75 billion (including liabilities) creating the world's third largest PC company. Last year HP paid $1.2 billion for Palm. webOS devices were a part of the HP Personal Systems Group but HP's profitable printer division is not so expect HP to keep that division.

Hmmm, I wonder if Palm had any mobile patents that HP could sell? I hear they're selling for a fortune now-a-days!
post #6 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 08:01 PM

Well now I have to decide whether to keep my $120 Touchpad or not....Hmmmm.
post #7 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 08:48 PM
Veteran

Funny, I just saw an advertisement on the new Discovery HD channel for the HP Touchpad!

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #8 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 08:58 PM
Veteran

I didn't see any today but the ads with Russel Brand were fast and furious on ABC last night.
post #9 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 09:33 PM
Veteran

HP thought they had some sort of hip brand identity. Enough to warrant people buying into their own system. They may as well get out now. Let their name become like IBM's.
post #10 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 10:20 PM

i was just playing with the HP tablets yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised with how nice they were (that being said, I really thought the samsung tablet was very nice, as well as the soon to be dead playbook)
post #11 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 10:48 PM
Veteran

It's not easy to see the successes coming but spotting the flops sure is. Aside from Apple, I think the entire industry has misjudged the tablet market!

I agree the RIM Playbook will be next to go. The Android devices will dwindle around for another year, then slowly disappear or morph into a much more compact notebook computer.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #12 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 10:54 PM

Quote:
The Android devices will dwindle around for another year, then slowly disappear or morph into a much more compact notebook computer.
I'd be very surprised if this happens.

There are way too many people who simply don't want to buy an Apple product that will go with an Android tablet.

Android rocks!
post #13 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

This time next year, Android tablets will be the market leader. Without a doubt.
post #14 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 11:04 PM

I doubt it. The Playbook is kind of like a test run for QNX (like the iPod Touch was for the iPhone), and RIM has too much invested in QNX to discontinue the Playbook already.

Android tablets have too many manufacturers (one of which is owned by Google) to die off any time soon. Even if none of the Honeycomb tablets sell explosively, I can't see all of Motorola, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, HTC, Asus, Acer, Huawei, and Viewsonic, not to mention all the other little manufacturers, giving up.
post #15 of 320 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Everybody is forgetting about Amazon. Amazon is the next Apple. Their tablets will be the Android leader.

Playbook is going nowhere unless RIM is gobbled up by MS or somebody else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in