H-P discontinues webOS handsets, tablets - Page 21 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #301 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 07:18 PM

HP Touchpad and ICS Android 4.0

Has anyone got ICS Android 4.x working on the HP Touchpad? What is your favourite site with instructions on how to get it working?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-06-13, 11:18 PM
Veteran

For months now. LOVE IT

My number one source for all things android:
http://www.xda-developers.com/

And I used this guys how to idiot guides to flashing my Touchpad. He explains everything in detail. Very easy to follow. He has 6 pages of videos but look for the idiots guide. Within his youtube videos he lists off all the tools and files you need to download.

I have been rooting and flashing roms for a few years now. the Touchpad was the easiest to do. And you get dual boot in case you like webOS.

http://www.reverendkyle.com/

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #303 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-06-14, 10:00 AM

HP and Android

Am I to understand Android operating system can be installed on HP touch pad then work like a Samsung tablet ?

post #304 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-06-14, 12:22 PM
Veteran

YEs only it cost us 100$ instead of 500$

When the system boots now i have the choise of WEBOS or android ICS or recovery

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #305 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-06-14, 04:29 PM
Veteran

Yep, haven't booted webOS since, lol.
I followed the xda instructions, but I'm sure any site will do. The acme installer does all the work.
post #306 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-06-14, 05:19 PM

Just make sure it is acmeinstaller2 that you use for ICS.

LONSat
post #307 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-06-14, 10:51 PM

The touchpad running ICS is far from perfect. I just sold mine because of some of the issues with ICS. I bought a galaxy tab with the money.
Battery life was the main issue for me along with random reboots and the screen would come on by itself sometimes. The camera doesn't work either. Wifi is pretty flaky, works great at my house but hit or miss when I travel.
A used touchpad will run you about $175, for another $100 you can get something better.
I still have 3 touchpads, they're great for my kids and at the fire sale price a year ago they were a steal.
I sold my touchpad for $150 and bought a new galaxy tab 10.1 for $300 and it was worth spending the difference, it,s a much better tablet and the battery lasts forever.
If you own a touchpad, in my opinion, now is the time to sell. You'll get your money back now but I think they'll depreciate pretty rapidly with the new tablets being released this summer.
post #308 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-07-17, 07:56 AM
Veteran

Its baaaack! Looks like the touchpad is getting Jelly Bean..

http://www.reverendkyle.com/index.ph...d-teaser-video

post #309 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 09:15 PM

I sent my touchpad to my son on the west coast
He was able to get ice cream to work
He was able to sell it $150 with a touchstone and then got a 1st gen iPad for the granddaughter for $200
I think is your going to sell a touchpad do it now
post #310 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-07-19, 03:49 PM
Veteran

Why would anyone pay more on top for an old ipad over this with latest android?
MAYBE for an ipad2, but even then I would think only the brand loyal would do that deal.
post #311 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-07-22, 08:52 AM

Five year old granddaughter will be using,
iPad has more to offer and it works, unlike a touchpad
post #312 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-07-22, 06:18 PM
Veteran

honestly my touchpad has been a great investment since day one... ok well once gingerbread got ported... Its been a daily driver since then and rocks since it got the ICS updates. Myself and 2 8-year olds have enjoyed hours and hours of un interrupted use. If i had one negative to say about it was early WIFI issues but since the new year i have had zero wifi issues. There was the odd game that would not work but there where work arounds for that...

All in all my kids never complained, anything that came up for me was easily resolved.

That said its value is still up, and i sold mine for 200$ last week and have been scrambling to find the nexus 7.

I'll always look back at the touchpad as one of those deals ill never forget...

post #313 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 11:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
I'll always look back at the touchpad as one of those deals ill never forget...
To each their own, but to me and most tablet users, the new iPad at full price is a much better deal than that.
post #314 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 02:11 PM
Veteran

Can we see your official survey results on that?!. What's the sample size, accuracy?

IMNSHO should probably follow that comment.
post #315 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 12:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
To each their own, but to me and most tablet users, the new iPad at full price is a much better deal than that.
People will say anything to justify their expensive purchases. I have to say, I take it for granted every day that I have this tablet that does anything another tablet does, but I only paid $150 for it (the 32GB model). It's truly amazing, because after so long, prices have not come down to match it. $100 or $150 for a 9.7" screen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in