H-P discontinues webOS handsets, tablets - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #271 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-02-28, 11:27 AM
Veteran

I am on Alpha 2, CM9. Just wanted to throw out there for you guys, I have been streaming VERY successfully the last few days with Dice Player. This is actual home network streaming, HARDWARE decoding, with subtitles (!), even 1080p mkv's. This is not trancoding like with Qloud. This is not low quality xvid streaming. And for whatever reason MX Player and BS Player both stutter with the same videos.

I figure it has as much to do with the latest Dice as our Touchpad. But at the same time, we're talking about a $99 or $149 device that let's you stream beautiful HD quality material. Oh, I doubt it matters, but my TP is always overclocked to 1.7Ghz with Antutu CPU Master Free. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-03-22, 04:36 PM
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
Leo I just realized u went from cm7 to cm9 with no full wipe. You need to full wipe to do that upgrade.
Finally got around to fixing this. Removed the old install re-installed and all is working great now

Leo
post #273 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-24, 01:22 AM
Veteran

Working with original OS and 230 days into ownership my tablet is awaiting a shipping box for warranty service. It is absolutely dead! I have to admit I had a decent customer service experience so far, but this doesn't give me confidence in the device!

post #274 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-24, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Ouch. Mine's had no issues through daily use, though I've been using CM exclusively since installing it.

What failed? Just won't turn on?
post #275 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-24, 04:43 PM
Veteran

Good the previous evening. Put it on the charge thingy..clock showing, charging icon showing. Next morning it was black. Plugging in, no go. All combinations of holding buttons didn't revive it, both before calling customer service and during the CS call. Dead, dead.
post #276 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-24, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Not good news, having no warning...

If mine dies, I'll be even more glad I didn't pay full price
post #277 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-24, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Thats too bad about your touchpad... I have had great luck with mine, ICS is just great on it..

Any of you guys notice cracking on the edges near the speak,volume or power button? I have one small crack near the power button..

Id love to find one of those rubberized back covers...

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #278 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-24, 10:21 PM

I have cracking at one of the speakers. I plan on using a little super glue to fix it so it doesn't totally break off.

Android is great for the number of apps it has but I must say WebOS is incredible for how much of a power miser it is. Android, and I am sure is not power optimized yet especially for the Touchpad, but it is a power pig in comparison. I don't expect ICS too be as power effecient as WebOS but I hope it gets better.

I think I prefer some of WebOS gestures as well. It's too bad because WebOS is a very well written and optimized operating system.

LONSat
post #279 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 07:35 AM
Veteran

i do like web os its similar to playbook... its a shame for sure it failed

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #280 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
Thats too bad about your touchpad... I have had great luck with mine, ICS is just great on it..

Any of you guys notice cracking on the edges near the speak,volume or power button? I have one small crack near the power button..

Id love to find one of those rubberized back covers...
I also had a couple of little cracks at each of the two speakers. Applied this product from Skinomi which did a great job of covering and ensuring that the cracks did not spread. Its a little tricky to install ...requires some patience but well worth the effort.

No charge for shipping and use coupon code "Get25" for an additional 25% off.

http://www.skinomi.com/hp-touchpad-c...protector.html

Samsung HLP-5663W,Sony STR-DG910,PS3, WII,Toshiba A-2 HD DVD,Bell 9241,Cerwin Vegas,PSB Alpha's(rear),Polk SWB
post #281 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 04:25 PM
Veteran

The cracks are a known design flaw.
I think HP was fixing it under warranty like 6 months ago.. honestly not worth it to me for a minor cosmetic issue that's not even visible 99% of the time.
post #282 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 11:35 PM
Veteran

agreed, i would never send it back over the cracks....

post #283 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-26, 07:10 AM
Veteran

I have the rubber HP case, and I purposely have never looked for cracks near the speakers because.....I just don't want to know, lol. My TP is still going strong. Amazing that all these months later, there still isn't a better deal out there. As long as this dual core (mine is running at 1.7Ghz) TP is the best deal out there (price vs screen size), I expect the developer community will keep updating Android versions.
post #284 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-26, 03:36 PM
Veteran

i too am very happy with it. ICS rocks and i dont regret returning my ASUS transformer any more. I do miss that keyboard but the lag the keys had did bother me.

best 150$ in electronics i have ever spent.. And i dont care about my kids buttery fingers and jam they get all over it at breakfast..

post #285 of 320 (permalink) Old 2012-04-26, 05:39 PM
Veteran

Rubbing alcohol is a touch-device user's best friend.
Dampen a tissue, wipe, and instantly clean and dry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in