Apple aims to ship 12-14 million iPad 2s in 3Q11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-06-30, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Apple aims to ship 12-14 million iPad 2s in 3Q11

Apple is turning more aggressive in placing orders for its iPad 2 and is set to ship 12-14 million units in the quarter, up from 7-9 million units in the second, according to market watchers

Wow.

If I recall correctly, Apple sold about 17 million in 2010 so they expect to sell near that in one quarter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-06-30, 04:22 PM

I remember predictions at the beginning of the year of 40–50 millions unit sales and that was with the supposed on-slaught of Androids tablets. Now that the Android tablet threat has mostly fizzled I guess Apple will be the main beneficiary of any tablet sales this year.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-07-01, 01:24 AM
Veteran

12 million in a quarter is roughly 4 million in a month.
133,000 per day.
5500 per hour
Or just under 100 per minute (almost two per second are coming off the assembly lines fully boxed and ready to ship).

24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

That's a lot of production!!!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-07-01, 09:02 AM

Yeah, I think that's their biggest problem. They still can't build enough to meet demand which also means they are keeping production capacity away from competitors which is also driving prices up for them.

One thing I'm curious about is why no one has come out with an Android based competitor to the iPod Touch. At least there they have a huge selection of apps ready to go waiting in the market, especially games, that don't require the phone bits of that form factor.

Apple probably sells 60 million iPod Touches, is no one in the Android hardware space interested in a piece of that market?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-07-01, 11:30 AM

Archos did hit the iPod to iPad range, at a lower price/quality, but they did it on older versions of Android... This year there has been a bunch of Android tablet that can compete with the iPad2 on spec, but they are also matching the price, so people are going for what they consider the "original" product...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in