Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (now in Canada) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-06-02, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (now in Canada)

I've read a few good reviews, here's the press release

Quote:
DALLAS, June 2, 2011 – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile), the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the U.S.[1], and Samsung Electronics America, a market leader and award-winning innovator in consumer electronics, today announced the upcoming retail availability of the Galaxy Tab™ 10.1, starting June 8. The WiFi-enabled tablet measures at just 8.6 millimeters slim, making it the thinnest mobile tablet currently available in the world. The 32GB version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi edition will be available for $599, while the 16GB version of the device will be available for $499.

A limited quantity of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi edition will be available for purchase exclusively at the Best Buy Union Square store in New York City on June 8. Best Buy customers may also pre-order the Galaxy Tab 10.1 online or in-store beginning that day.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is powered by Android™ 3.1, Honeycomb offering faster and smoother transitions between different applications, more intuitive navigation to and from home screens and broader support of USB accessories, external keyboards, joysticks and gamepads.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the thinnest mobile tablet currently available in the world, measuring in at an ultra-slim 8.6 millimeters. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 also boasts an incredibly light weight of just 1.25 pounds (565 grams) for outstanding mobility and comfort in the user’s hands.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is designed with a brilliant 10.1-inch HD touchscreen display with WXGA 1280 x 800 resolution delivering vibrant colors and crisp clarity. This expansive screen is centered inside a narrow bezel to enhance the wide viewing angle.

“Ensuring that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 launched with Android 3.1 Honeycomb was part of our constant commitment to meeting the needs of our customers,” said Dale Sohn, President and CEO of Samsung Mobile. “The Galaxy Tab 10.1’s ultra-thin design and 10-inch touchscreen are impressive differentiators in the tablet market place. We’re going to make the Galaxy Tab 10.1 even more powerful, entertaining and secure through a series of upgrades coming to this device.”

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 will receive these new upgrades through a software update that customers can access over the air in the near future. Those upgrades are currently scheduled to include:

FEATURES/SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH FUTURE SOFTWARE UPGRADE

Customized User Experience “Samsung TouchWiz UX”

Samsung’s TouchWiz user experience is designed with a Live Panel menu for customizing the home screen of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with digital pictures, favorite Web sites and social network feeds.

In addition, the TouchWiz UX includes a “Mini Apps” tray of commonly used features such as task manager, calendar and music player which can be launched while other major applications are already in use.

Samsung Media Hub

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 software upgrade will introduce the evolution of Samsung’s popular movie and TV content service, known as Media Hub. Media Hub has been redesigned with a new user interface for even easier downloads of rented or purchased content. The new version of Media Hub also includes an HD Extender which allows the user to playback Media Hub content on TV through an HDMI cable from the Galaxy Tab 10.1 dock or adaptor.

Readers Hub & Social Hub

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 will also gain access to Samsung’s Readers Hub service, which is a robust library filled with more than 2.2 million books, 2,000 newspapers and 2,300 magazines. Also, the software upgrade will install Samsung’s Social Hub service, which aggregates email, instant messaging, contacts, calendar and social network connections into a single interface.

Versatile Content Sharing

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 will also receive Samsung’s Allshare service, for seamless content transfer between the tablet and other DLNA-enabled devices such as HDTV’s, monitors and digital cameras. The software upgrade will also transform the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 into a device capable of accepting streaming content from a TV to the tablet itself.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES AVAILABLE AT PRODUCT LAUNCH

Impressive Speed, Power & Battery Life

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 supports Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n connectivity to deliver rapid mobile download speeds and reduce data transfer times. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 also includes a Nvidia Tegra 1GHz dual core application processor for powerful gaming and multimedia performance. The Tab’s ultra-thin design does not sacrifice battery life, thanks to a 7000 mAh battery providing up to 9 hours of continuous use on a single charge[2].

Full Adobe Flash Player Compatibility

The device offers extensive Web browsing access through Adobe® Flash® Player compatibility. Flash Player delivers beautiful HD video, faster graphics rendering, and high performance on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and is designed to take advantage of native device capabilities — enabling richer, more immersive user experiences.

Optimal Enterprise Solutions

In addition, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 integrates several enterprise solutions to provide support for exchange device management policies, improve the security of data and services maintained on the tablet and meet IT guidelines for remote device access. The enterprise solutions include:

On-device encryption of user data
Cisco AnyConnect SSL VPN
F5 SSL VPN
Enhanced Exchange ActiveSync Support

Quality Cameras and Sound

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 features a 3 megapixel rear camera and a 2 megapixel front camera providing smooth video chat capabilities and seamless 1080p HD video playback[3]. High quality speakers are positioned on the right and left sides of the device for a rich, deep audio experience.

Google™ Mobile Services

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is preloaded with the full suite of Google Mobile Services including access to more than 60,000 Android Market™ applications for Galaxy Tab 10.1[4], Gmail™, Google Search™, Google Maps™ 5.0 with 3D maps, and Google Talk™ with video and voice chat.

Availability & Pricing

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi edition will be available exclusively starting June 8 at the Best Buy Union Square location in New York City. Starting June 17, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be available at Best Buy online and in-store along with Fry’s Electronics, Amazon.com, Micro Center, Tiger Direct and Newegg. These retail outlets will have the 32GB version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi edition available for $599, and the 16GB version of the device will be available for $499. In addition, the WiFi version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be available through Sprint starting mid-summer 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-06-02, 01:52 PM

Looks pretty sweet, this is the lead tablet to replace my iPad with the ASUS Transformer being in second place (I wish the 10" HTC tablet was closer to being released).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-06-13, 03:57 PM

It does looks great but there are no microSD card, HDMI or USB ports. It seems like with these new tablets you have to choose between lightness/thinness and practicality (connection ports).

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 04:09 PM
Member #1

Review: Samsung Galaxy Tab Is no iPad Killer

Reviewer pulls no punches

Quote:
My job is to recommend or not recommend gadgets based on my experience using those devices. For the general consumer I can't think of a single reason to buy this device.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 04:57 PM

I've been reading and watching many reviews of this and the Transformer and have seen lots of great reviews with this being the worst written review by far. I was leaning towards the ASUS but have ultimately decided to buy the Tab 10.1 to replace my iPad. Having said that, I use a HTC Desire HD and know both iOS and the Android platforms very well. I want widgets on my home screens, I want to be able to run Flash websites (I run into many everyday on my iPad and HATE it), I want a real notification system, I want a better browsing experience (Safari is horrible, iCab and Atomic are barely adequate), I want a 16:9 aspect ratio screen and I want the open Eco system that Android provides.

Not trying to fan the flames but not all of us like or want the Apple experience and this author seems to be horribly bias towards anything that isn't Apple no matter how a tablet performs.

Phonedog seems to think it's a great tablet.

http://www.phonedog.com/videos/samsu...review-part-1/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 05:16 PM

Anyone buy one of these from ebay?
I don't feel like waiting until the end of July for the Canadian release.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 05:20 PM
Veteran

Expecting an "iPad Killer" is simply setting yourself up for failure IMO.

When you end a review stating "For the general consumer I can't think of a single reason to buy this device" you lose a lot credibility with me, since it shows a clear bias towards the other product you refer to. It seems whenever there was something good to mention about the Samsung (the hardware, the display, etc), he shot it down saying "nobody cares about that."

Don't get me wrong - the iPad is a great device, but it's not the tablet for every "general consumer."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-08-09, 04:55 PM

Apple gets injunction barring Samsung Tab sales in Europe

Preliminary injunction granted by German court: Apple blocks Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the entire European Union except for the Netherlands

Quote:
The leading German news agency, dpa, just reported that Apple has been granted a preliminary injunction against Samsung's Android-based Galaxy Tab 10.1, barring with immediate effect all distribution of the product in the entire European Union except for the Netherlands on the grounds of an alleged infringement of Apple's iPad-related [European] Community design no. 000181607-0001.
Quote:
In Germany, Apple asserts not only an infringement of the said Community design but also cites unfair competition grounds, denouncing the Galaxy Tab as an iPad imitation.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-08-15, 10:14 AM

I was cruising the royal bank avion visa rewards store the other day and came across this tablet for 16000 points? I checked the serial number and everything and it was a galaxy tab 10.1. So I ordered it, they say it's waiting to get release to ship. It's off there page now so it was probably a misprint but I hope they honor my order. 16000 points is about 80 bucks. When you do the exchange..lol

Anybody else see this?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 03:56 PM

there's a huge thread on rfd about it before they took it off the rbc rewards, call it the "rfd effect". Everyone's order is pending, i guess its because the launch date is supposed to be Aug 19th which is now pushed back to the 26th. I have my order in so i guess we'll just have to wait and see.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I had a chance to play with this over the lunch hour. Very nice. Still think a tablet this size is too big for me but it seems to be the normal size.

Very quick response, not sluggish at all.

Easy to navigate with a decent screen.

Also very thin and light.

Should please any Android fan looking to buy their first tablet.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 03:26 PM
Member #1

Mobilesyrup is reporting its now in Canada.

Quote:
The 16GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Wi-Fi has hit Canadian land and is ready for sale. This new Android tablet quietly launched on Friday at a couple retailers, from what we understand both The Source and Staples have this in stock. Big box stores like Best Buy and Future Shop will apparently have this available on August 26th. In addition, TELUS, Bell and Rogers will all be releasing the 4G version soon, rumours are within a couple weeks.
$500

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-08-28, 11:10 PM

Got confirmation that rbc rewards is honoring my galaxy tab 10.1 order for 16,000 points ! That works our to about $100. Lol. They admit it was an error but arestill honoring the orders. I think there is bunch of people that got lucky.
Nice to see rbc rewards stepping up... Can't wait till iget my first android tab!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 11:05 PM
Rookie

Anyone know when the Galaxy Player will be released (if ever) in Canada?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in