Breaking News! HTC Will No Longer Lock Bootloaders!!!! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-05-27, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Breaking News! HTC Will No Longer Lock Bootloaders!!!!

Just about two hours ago, HTC’s CEO Peter Chou made a post in the official HTC’s Facebook page announcing that they actually listened to all the complains............

https://www.facebook.com/HTC/posts/10150307320018084

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-05-27, 10:34 AM

Reason number 637 why I love HTC, my last 5 phones have been HTC (2 WinMo, 3 Android) and doubt I'll ever buy from a different manufacturer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-05-27, 02:57 PM
Veteran

HTC didn't always use locked bootloaders; it's mostly phones they released this year that had them. It's good they realized a lot of Android fans want an unlocked bootloader and are reversing their stance. Now if we can get Motorola to do the same it will be great.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-05-29, 02:16 AM
Veteran

I can see a ready market for that. There's a CNET article about Sprint in the USA installing "crapware" on their customers' phones (including HTC Evo). Unlike the stuff on Windows PCs, YOU CANNOT UNINSTALL THEM!!! You have to root the phone to get rid of this garbage. This story was featured on Slashdot. Some of the posters noted that some much of this garbage runs in the background. And getting rid of this garbage doubles the time that a battery charge will last.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-05-29, 10:52 AM

Wouldn't it be a better experience if Google just required carriers to not install unremovable applications?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-05-29, 02:00 PM
Veteran

It would be better but still wouldn't eliminate the desire for installing custom roms. Not everyone wants the Sense overlay for instance, or there may have been poor choices made by the manufacturer that reduce performance (Samsung's use of the RFS file system is a great example).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-05-29, 09:52 PM
Veteran

Another reason for installing your own system is that carriers are slow to provide system updates. They only have a limited number of programmers, and it takes a while to port all their "enhancements" from the previous OS version to the new version. There are often cases where perfectly servicable hardware is deliberately "unsupported" after a couple of years, to force you to buy a new phone.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in