BlackBerry PlayBook reviews - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-26, 12:34 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker
got to play with a friends unit today; it's not perfect, but I really liked it
No comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-26, 02:08 AM

^ Zing
post #78 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 11:24 AM
Veteran

I tried one out at staples.. LOL i must say i fumbled with it for at least a minute, and the staff also had no clue what gesters to use to make it open and close screens. I can wizz around my android and an ipad pretty quickly..

I must say that after about 5minutes of playing around i was still looking like a noob. Could calibration have been off a bit? Or do i need to RTFM?

the screen was sexy... not sure 7" is my thing through, having a smartphone already i think i would be holding out for a bigger screen. IT was amazin on video though

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #79 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Staples staff should have known had to use it. Leaked info indicated they had training planned last month.

I managed to use it without a user manual or tutorial by playing with it.

Figured out where to swipe was the key. UP/DOWN or LEFT/RIGHT mainly from the black edges.

Once you master the swiping it's easy to use.
post #80 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 01:08 PM

If you are linking your PB to a BES-enabled blackberry, you may want to review this document: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...001-1.0-US.pdf

It looks like you will not be able to save anything that comes in from the BES (including email attachments) on the Playbook, but will be able to save it on the memory card on your phone. Certain apps (such as Documents to Go) will have a "work" mode and a "personal" mode with strict limitations on what you can save/open/edit in each mode.

This is good from the perspective of your corporate IT team.
post #81 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 01:44 PM

They would probably do better with some sort of display to hint on the bezel to bezel swipes. Once you understand that the whole device makes a lot more sense.
post #82 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Thats actually a good idea...keeps the main screen real estate clean.
post #83 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 11:33 AM

I picked up a Playbook last night. These are my first impressions:

- it is a lot smaller than I was expecting, but the resolution is high enough that it is still useful. It is also heavier than it looks.

- the gestures are pretty easy to get used to

- I don't have a new enough blackberry to pair with it, so I can't test that

- setting up wifi network sharing on my laptop was relatively straightforward and now I can open up the Playbook file system on my laptop as a network folder. You do need to connect the laptop to the PB by USB to do the setup though (it needs to install some drivers).

- Adobe Reader and Documents/Sheets/Presentations-to-Go are both excellent. I can read documents in full page mode in AR by using portrait mode (my widescreen laptop screen does not work as well). Most of the reviews I have read don't seem to understand how useful these programs are for people that actually work with documents and don't just surf the internet.

- There doesn't seem to be any file system access from the home screen -- you access files through the applications. I put some documents in folders, but AR and DTG both seem to ignore folders and just list all available files (including the ones in folders) in one long list.

- I tried a few websites (including these forums) and they work quite well, including embedded videos.

- I downloaded a few minor apps (Weather Network, National Post) and it was very painless.

- Good sound through the speakers

I quite like it.
post #84 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-29, 11:25 AM

Got a 64 GB model last night. I am a corporate BB user with BES. I didn't even have to call my IT folks to install or thether it.

It immediately downloaded new firmware. I downloaded a number of free apps, very fast!

For corporate use, this thing is simply perfect.

Opening pdf's, spreadsheets and Word documents on a 7" screen makes all the difference. Now, I just need a Citrix app to run all our other corporate apps.

I haven't tried the HDMI for PowerPoint presentations, but that will be another killer feature for my Boardroom presentations.

Although not necessary, but at home, I'd like an app that lets me get access to all my home media content (similar to remote potato) on my Win 7 Media Center box.

I have an iPAD at home, but at work, this is the product I need.
post #85 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-29, 11:31 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno100 View Post
Opening pdf's, spreadsheets and Word documents on a 7" screen makes all the difference. Now, I just need a Citrix app to run all our other corporate apps.
How does it compare to the iPad in terms of suitability as a document reader? That is my one main concern about the PB - I use my iPad all the time for reading docs and I worry that the 7" screen may be too small, particularly for PDFs that are scans rather than text documents.
post #86 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-29, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

post #87 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-30, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
How does it compare to the iPad in terms of suitability as a document reader? That is my one main concern about the PB - I use my iPad all the time for reading docs and I worry that the 7" screen may be too small, particularly for PDFs that are scans rather than text documents.
For me the clarity of the PB is very good compared to the iPad. I'd probably like a bigger PB screen, but what it does display is of very high quality. Everything is very clear to read. As a business guy, having it tethered to my BB is priceless in meetings.

I also like to add that it is simple to navigate the storage on the PB through your Windows network. No software needed to copy or move any documents. I copied a 1920 x 1080 Bluray MP4 rip (12 GB) I made of the Rolling Stones right to the PB. The playback is superb, and with the HDMI out it should look equally as good on a 120" projector.

I am surprised about bluetooth range. My BB was on the second floor in its charging stand and I was able to read all my e-mails and open documents while watching TV on the first floor at the opposite end of the house.

I'm keeping my PB!
post #88 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-30, 06:57 PM

Question for people who have bought the PB: What factors into your decision to buy the 16, 32 or 64 size? How much of this space is taken up out of the box?
post #89 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-30, 07:30 PM

I bought the 64 GB version only because it is a business purchase and price was not a major factor. It is nice to have more memory for pictures, music, and video. One 1920 x 1080 BluRay rip I put on it took 12 GB (more for testing then anything else).

I did a backup in the last hour (no media), and it was 808 MB. That includes about 20 apps I downloaded since getting it 48 hours ago. I have it tethered to my BB, so suspect a few MB are related to that local content.
post #90 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 02:49 PM

Post First impressions

I waited while my friends got Ipods, then Iphones, then Ipads. I listened to them gush about the touchscreen and how perfect apple was. I watched as they spend hours looking for apps to spend their money on at the app store.

I'm glad I waited.

The Playbook took a lot of heat just before it came out. The four main complaints seemed to be:

No 3G connection
No Native Email
No BBM
Lack of Apps

Looking at the list, I notice two things.

First, 80% of the IPads sold are wifi only models so what is the problem (other then not being able to please all of the people all of the time)?

Second, the last three complaints are really all the same complaint, lack of apps. The sad part about this is that since the Playbook provides a full web experience (with flash and HTML5 support) I don't really need a lot of apps (except for angry birds, but I hear that it is come soon)! I use a webmail account for my personal email, I have a company Blackberry for business email and it syncs up flawlessly and securely with my playbook (and lets me get to my BBM account too). Do I need a newspaper app or a banking app if I can go straight to the website and read the news or do my banking online?

First Impressions.
The screen it crisp, the navigation is intuition, and it fits in my pocket.
RIM started with a new kernel and a stable operating system that is used by every car manufacturer in the world. They wrapped the QNX operation system with stereo speakers, a pair of batteries and a Hi-definition display that is stellar. They seem to have concentrated more on being able to run any application and didn't think about running specific applications.
RIM has updated the Playbook OS at least twice since I got it. They've added additional functionality and cleaned out some bugs (I assume, because I haven't really noticed any bugs so far). This is more then i can say about my two-year old phone. My phone company still hasn't released an approved update for it even though i know there have been a few updates since I bought it. I can only imagine what waiting for the phone company to update the Playbook over 3G would do for my sanity.

It came loaded with too many applications to list here. For the gamer in me there was "tetris" and "need for speed: undercover", two excellent demonstrations of the capacities of the playbook. Tetris showcases the gesture control system, NFS:U showcases the accelerometer and gyroscope as well as the processor and hi-def screen. For the adult in me there is a KOBO e-reader. It came loaded with Sun Tzu's "The Art of War". I assume that was a shot across the bow at Apple and or Google. there is also a app for accessing 1500 films from the National Film Board of Canada. There are apps for hotmail and yahoo as well as docs-to-go and sheets-to-go for word and excel files. Of course there is a music store app as well. I'm seeing and hearing about the playbooks 3D rendering capabilities as well and I'm wondering what else this little black beauty is capable of!

Complaints
I can't yet find a mirco-HDMI cable locally to plug the playbook into my HDTV.
I'm angry about not having access to angry birds.
Can I complain that RIM's 'ecosystem isn't as fleshed out as Apples yet - not if I'm trying to be honest with myself.

Conclusions?
Everybody I show it too is impressed, full stop.

Apple built an OS around the ipod, then added cellular capability. Then Apple ported the whole shebang to the Ipad. All the while leading the market and controlling the content that went into the appstore so they could ensure apps wouldn't overpower the OS. That's great for Apple, they dominate the market and get to write the rules. but the OS is getting older now and eventually they'll need to reboot the whole franchise. Apple might be working on the "next big thing" or they might be working on the next iteration of the IPad. The management is innovative but not flexible.

RIM has started out slowly with a shell of impressive, stable hardware and is slowly ramping up the capabilities and features. RIM may have lost the innovation battle but seems to be making a tablet that is very flexible (enough to run google apps, Java, flash, HTML5 and maybe even apple apps as well) and highly adaptive (is being able to do everything inovative?).

That said, this might be a case of Turtle vs Hare. Apple (the rabbit) took off like a shot and raced ahead (and bread lots of copies of itself - as rabbits do). Apple has set a blistering pace that nobody else can keep up with but it remains to be seen how long it can keep the pace itself before it runs out of steam and needs to recharge/reiterate/reinvent.

ELORA, ON, JVC LT-32x887, JVC RX-554VBK, JVC XV-N410B, JVC XL-MC334BK, DBGH, UHF Corner reflector, 10 meter tower.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in