BlackBerry PlayBook reviews - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 12:29 PM

@NeilN

Resolution:

Optics . the act, process, or capability of distinguishing between two separate but adjacent objects or sources of light or between two nearly equal wavelengths. Compare resolving power.

Resolution is about the density of pixels at a given distance... you can't correctly make the statement that since the iPad has 1024 X 768 pixels and the Playbook only has 1024 X 600 pixels that the iPad has the higher resolution because the screens are of difference sizes.... The tech industry has used the term "resolution" for comparing various display settings on the same screen.... and that's fine.

Assuming the distances at which the two screens are compared is the same, it's all about pixels per unit area (pixel density) when comparing the screen resolution of two devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Except no one in the tech industry uses your definition. Resolution of screens is always defined as X pixels by Y pixels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

I repeat, Mossberg was using the commonly accepted meaning and was therefore correct. He made no statement about DPI.
post #63 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 12:42 PM

The commonly accepted meaning you suggest must be used in the context of comparing the same sized screen or the word "resolution" is being used incorrectly.

The definition I have provided has been used for centuries and continues to be used throughout science right to this day.

Your reference supports my statements; right out of the wiki info: "Note that the use of the word resolution here is a misnomer, though common. The term “display resolution” is usually used to mean pixel dimensions, the number of pixels in each dimension (e.g., 1920×1200), which does not tell anything about the resolution of the display on which the image is actually formed".... this is entirely my point!

Sorry to belabor the point, but with some educational qualifications in the science of optics, it bugs me when I read tech review after review get it wrong - as Mossberg did.

post #64 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Sigh. "Tech review after tech review" do not get it wrong. For the third time, the tech industry has a different definition for resolution than the optics field. From the article's first sentence which you conveniently ignored, "The display resolution of a digital television or display device is the number of distinct pixels in each dimension that can be displayed".
post #65 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 02:43 PM
Veteran

anybody else tried playing the flash games for Facebook? I can't get any of the games to load. Maybe it's the Android version of Flash problem because I'm encountering the same problem with Galaxy Tab.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks beforhand.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #66 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 10:50 PM

I've seen reports of such in other mobile flash write ups David.

http://m.infoworld.com/d/mobile-tech...dont-touch-838
post #67 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 01:18 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the link. So essentially the Java capability on Android OS tablets is useless for me

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #68 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Just came home from Cozumel last night, thanx to a friend my Playbook was waiting for me.

After 24 hours with my new toy, I'm very impressed and very happy. It's the same size as my Kindle though a tad thicker. Very very happy with the size.

Connecting to wifi and connecting to my phone (via bluetooth) was very simple. It's nice having a hotspot on your belt.

Email, the feature that some reviewers had an issue with was a non issue. It worked great and opened very quickly.

I love the fact that the phone and tablet interface so easily.

Apps installed much quicker than on the phone.

So far, so good and I've already had people chat with me about it.
post #69 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 09:32 AM
Veteran

Seems to me that RIM is going to have to change their stance on Bridge tethering if they are going to save face.

At first blush, I saw merit in the idea because it allowed users to get 3G accessibility leveraging their existing data plans...even if only for existing RIM users and then again if only for employers willing to allow it on their BES networks. The latter was a problem for me, personally.

Problem is, the carriers in the US are revolting. AT&T is forbidding Bridge and Verizon is dropping hints they won't even sell Playbook. This is an epic fail for RIMs product management to not have this resolved prior to launch.

I'm hoping that RIM is furiously rewriting code to remove the Bridge requirement and put unencumbered PIM and email clients on the thing. By all accounts, its a great piece of hardware, just dysfunctional in its current implementation for USA users.
post #70 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

AT&T solution:

http://crackberry.com/att-blackberry-bridge-download

Once OS 6.1 comes out and wifi tethering is enabled on phones, life should be better.
post #71 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Reading down thru the comments on that link, it seems it stops working after a while. I imagine AT&T will do the same thing they do with iPhone tetherers...send an email saying they have detected tethering and then automatically adding a $20 charge to your monthly.

The whole situation stinks. They want to double charge for the same data.

I think Canadians are spared this foolishness, but what will happen when a Canadian user travels to the US? Will their Playbook cripple?
post #72 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 10:10 AM
Veteran

One other advantage of the PlayBook - free hockey games. Canadians can watch playoff games for free from the CBC web site and you can stream these to your PB. But the video streaming via a browser doesn't work on the iPad so you have to use their app. And through the app you have to pay $2.99/game.
post #73 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 10:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
I think Canadians are spared this foolishness, but what will happen when a Canadian user travels to the US? Will their Playbook cripple?
No because they are still using a device from Rogers , et al, but are roaming. So you get to experince the foolishness of ridiculous roaming fees.
post #74 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

It's unusual that Canadians aren't the ones being screwed for data costs.

The 4g version is coming out from Sprint in the summer for those who want everything in one unit.
post #75 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 11:25 PM

got to play with a friends unit today

it's not perfect, but I really liked it

size was very nice, but not sure where it fits into my life

it was very nice for kicking back, doing some light typing/chatting (where ipad and archos were just the wrong size for this)

reading on it was very nice, video playback was good too

I'd need to steal it for a month to see how much it usurped time from my iPod touch and/or full size laptop

he had it paired with his BB, and an awesome pico (or nano? dunno) projector for work, and it was crazy impressive for presentations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in