BlackBerry PlayBook reviews - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 02:08 PM

Question How well does Flash work

So has anyone here bought one yet? I'd be interested in your impression on how well Flash works.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 03:00 PM
Member #1

norman, if you review the many links to reviews, you will find that all the reviewers were very positive about Flash and web browsing.

post #48 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 08:58 PM

I was actually expecting at least one person to buy it on launch and report back.

I played with it at best buy today.
Things I liked: it seemed well constructed overall and the OS was snappy, felt good in the hand.

Things that I could probably get used to: The gesture system using the bezels, I'm not sure this is optimal but that's probably because I'm used to the iOS way and I do larger gestures which sometimes triggered the switching.

Things I didn't like: Didn't care for a lot of the 'chrome' of the apps (But I don't like the default Flex/Air UI and that's what it was using) The power button (The person who decided on that should be gone.)

I'm not really sold on the value of the 7 inch form factor but I appreciate that it appeals to some people.

post #49 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 09:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJack View Post
I was actually expecting at least one person to buy it on launch and report back.
You might have trouble finding someone.

Read somewhere today (USA Today I think) that stores received five each and none sold out except for a store in Toronto and a store in NYC.
post #50 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 10:25 PM
Veteran

Inexplicable how RIM could release something this shoddy... and today, this comes out:

Playbook has AT&T problems

Excerpt: The Playbook doesn't have its own e-mail client, calendar app, instant messenger, or contact list. But when it's wirelessly linked to a Blackberry, all those features are instantly enabled.

It makes it pretty neat when the two devices are paired up with each other, giving you a bigger screen to look through all the content on your phone.

That is, when it actually works. Customers with a Blackberry on AT&T, which is ironically one of RIM's strongest partners, receive the following message instead: "This application is not available on your device or for your carrier."
post #51 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post

Read somewhere today (USA Today I think) that stores received five each and none sold out except for a store in Toronto and a store in NYC.
Well there were several members who seemed very positive on the device pre-release. I figured a least one had pre-ordered it

I saw at least one person leaving the Bay&Dundas store with one when I was there.
post #52 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 09:24 AM

Quote:

This report paints a slightly rosier picture

Quote:
Checks of 70 retail stores found 11 per cent of the locations stocking the device were sold out, according to Mike Abramsky, analyst at RBC Capital Markets. He estimates Day 1 sales of 50,000, including pre-orders, and that RIM is on track to ship 500,000 PlayBooks in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.

“The launch appears to have been stronger than the launch of Motorola’s Xoom (Android) Tablet, or the Samsung Galaxy Tab, although it’s too early to judge sustainability,” Abramsky said.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...#ixzz1KADI5YA7
post #53 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 09:26 AM
Veteran

I think another factor thats going to affect sales is the fact that a very big percentage ( I believe >50% ) of Blackberry users have company issued handsets and are subject to BES policies.

In a company like mine (Fortune 50), IT is outsourced and will be very slow to evaluate and approve PB. They would never approve somehting within the first generation anyways. Once they do, it would most certainly be restricted to executives only.

I would certainly be loathe to invest personally in a small screen tablet that could potentially have a restrictive IT policy pushed onto it because I tethered it to a company mobile.
post #54 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerChip View Post
I think you mean "AT&T has Playbook Problems"....

Not RIM's problem.

Use a web client in the browser for email. (Even a flash-based web client will work. )
post #55 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I would certainly be loathe to invest personally in a small screen tablet that could potentially have a restrictive IT policy pushed onto it because I tethered it to a company mobile.
7" is a better size because of the portability and the fact that, in portrait, you can thumb type. Unless you play in the NBA, good luck doing that with the Ipad Touch. The high resolution and 1080p video remove any viewing challenges some might fear at that size as well. Being the lightest tablet >=7" on the market, you can hold it for a long time without fatigue.

Understand as well that the PB acts as a dumb terminal when tethered. it holds none of the BES data locally. Disable the bridge on the BB and there is no evidence of BES content on the PB. i.e. no threat and any decision to not support the PB is out of fear and misinformation.
post #56 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I think you mean "AT&T has Playbook Problems"....

Not RIM's problem.
Sure... I'm quoting the article exactly as it was titled. I didn't write it. But at the end of the day, I don't think AT&T customers (one of RIM's biggest partners) care about who's at fault for what. Bottom line is they're on the outside looking in.
post #57 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerChip View Post
Sure... I'm quoting the article exactly as it was titled. I didn't write it. But at the end of the day, I don't think AT&T customers (one of RIM's biggest partners) care about who's at fault for what. Bottom line is they're on the outside looking in.
Someone is implying that RIM caused a problem here. They did not. What they offer is very secure. AT&T decided to block it and I know another company decided to gouge by charging extra for it. Both dumb ideas on the part of the 3rd parties.
post #58 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaDawg View Post
Disable the bridge on the BB and there is no evidence of BES content on the PB. i.e. no threat and any decision to not support the PB is out of fear and misinformation.
You're missing my point...a simple Google search reveals that a BES policy can be Pushed on a Playbook, and users may not even have control over whether they can disable Bridge or not.

As a consumer, I'm not going to fork over my own money for something the Company can cripple/disable at its discretion.

Its pretty easy to envision any company disabling this ability as a measure to limit 3G data consumption.
post #59 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 11:42 AM

"Review by Walt Mossberg was negative.

He liked the device and the user interface but was negative on the inability to do email etc without being tethered to a blackberry and the lack of apps. "

Walt's review wasn't just negative, part of what he said was wrong.. the Playbook has higher resolution than the iPad... he just doesn't understand what resolution is.
post #60 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 11:50 AM
Veteran

No, Mossberg understands what resolution is quite well. The iPad has a higher resolution but the Playbook, due to its smaller size, has a higher DPI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in