BlackBerry PlayBook reviews - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
To get integrated email on a iPad you don't have to have an iPhone.
I'm just trying to understand this so my question is what integrated email are we talking about. IE what mail app is in use on an iPad? And how is it used?

The original idea (that I read about when the PB was announced) was that no sensitive corporate data or emails would remain on the PB once disconnected from the hive, er BB. (Somehow good for corporate use)
With all of the hype surrounding media capabilities on the tablet this seems counter-intuitive but I still don't understand all of the issues that seem to be negatives/positives for this device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 11:08 AM
Veteran

The issue is that there isn't currently an app on the PB to do your personal email, like your Gmail or Yahoo Mail. With an iPad it is pretty easy to set up the iPad email app to work with these services. The only way to do this currently with the PB is to use the web browser to acess the web based clients for these services. Or you need a BB to use the Bridge feature.

So while everyone does carry a phone, in order to get decent functionality out of a PB that phone must be a BB. Your phone if you want to carry a BB and an iPad but you are SOL if you want to carry an iPhone and a PB.
post #33 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 12:24 PM

OKay, just trying to understand. Gmail is available on the iPad through a dedicated app instead of through the browser?
Are most of these dedicated apps just a customized version of a browser or do they contain other features that make the app easier to use. I'm not sure exactly what those features would be and I haven't used any of these apps so I guess I need to go and do some hands on at B&M store somewhere.

The part about no email when carrying a PB an iPhone would be that the two devices would not be synced together. Still wondering how other devices sync their email with phones/tablets/PCs. ie. I use my laptop to send an email, then my home PC when I am at home. The email on those two computers is not synced unless I use a browser based email program such as hotmail or Gmail. So having the apps sync mail automatically would be nice. How would I accomplish this? Sorry if it is a bit off-topic but the sync would apply to every device with the right software.

Thanks for your earlier reply.

post #34 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 12:37 PM

Could you just leave your gmail/yahoo/etc browser session open all the time in its own tab?
post #35 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 01:14 PM
Veteran

@hdtvi: The built in iOS mail app has hooks into various email services like Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and Exchange. A couple benefits:

* One unified inbox for all your mail
* Mail can be accessed offline
* Attachments can be opened and edited if you have the appropriate helper apps.

Non-web syncing occurs if you have any modern mail server. For example, a lot of businesses use Microsoft Exchange. I can receive/read/send emails on my iPhone. These actions are transmitted back to the server and sent to my iPad and Microsoft Outlook.

@scampbell: What about syncing of calendars? I know executives at several companies I work with that would go ballistic if they had to go to a web page to see their calendar.
post #36 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 01:40 PM

NeilN

Thanks for the info. I need to do some research and think about how to use these apps.

Question. One unified inbox for all mail. Is it possible to maintain separate inboxes? I really wouldn't want to combine work and personal accounts. Or do you just run 2 versions of the same app? I guess the way I currently deal with email needs to be updated to something around 2001

Thanks again for the replies.
post #37 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 01:44 PM
Veteran

You can use separate inboxes or have them all combined. The combined view makes it easy to see all of your emails coming in at once when you reply it will go from the correct account.

hdtvi asked about apps. You don't necessarily need apps but they can be useful for allowing you to still have access to data when you are offline. For example, if you want to read the Globe and Mail on an iPad you can just use the web browser. But that won't work when you are on the subway or an airplane, or if you are outside of wifi range with a wifi only iPad. But you can use the G&M's iPad app and download the paper before you leave home.
post #38 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 02:28 PM
Member #1

In 2011, Gartner predicts 467 million smartphones will be sold of which RIM will sell about 62 million. (i.e./ about 1 in 8 smartphones sold this year will be a Blackberry)

My guess is that most people who buy a tablet will have a smartphone. If you don't have a blackberry, are you really going to be interested in the Playbook?

In simple terms, RIM has shut itself out the vast majority of the marketplace.

post #39 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 03:33 PM
Veteran

^^^

which I think is where they have deliberately placed themselves. They've always promoted the PB as an extender to the BB. Odd, IMHO, but they've never promoted it as anything else.

I think this form-factor will be very short lived ( <12 months) and they will aggressively work on launching all-in-one models based on QNX.
post #40 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 05:26 PM

it's a puzzling choice, that's for sure

I can see adding extra benefit for pairing with a BB, but making it reliant on one seems odd
post #41 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 06:25 PM
Veteran

Well, being that the Playbook is WiFi only, are we forgetting that an iPhone can be set to create a WiFi hotspot, and thus, one could (why, I have no idea) tether the Playbook to the iPhone or Android's cellular data? So, "Blackberry-only tethering" is technically somewhat misleading.

Of course, there would still be no email, calendar, contacts, etc....
post #42 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 06:30 PM
Veteran

Apps which were standard (except for email) on the Palm Pilot in 1997 not to mention early pager-sized BBs.
post #43 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 06:34 PM

I'm sure calendar and IMAP/POP3 email apps will show up very quickly. With no cellular radio, I don't think contacts is particularly important.
post #44 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
I'm sure calendar and IMAP/POP3 email apps will show up very quickly. With no cellular radio, I don't think contacts is particularly important.
...at which time people will look back on the concern regarding the lack of an email app and call it what it is: Overblown. Indeed it was reported that an email app is on the way.

Tablets are in their infancy. It is an agile development approach to do what RIM is doing. The only people making an issue of it are the fanboys.
post #45 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 12:04 PM
Yob

Is there a Skype app available?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in