BlackBerry PlayBook reviews - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-16, 04:05 PM

Yup. Releasing a tablet that requires tethering to a another device shows the kind of arrogance that's going to kill RIM off one day. Not only are their devices essentially the same as they were three years ago (the incremental changes in that time from the Curve 8330 sitting here beside me are negligible compared to what Android and iOS devices have done) but they have the stones to think that their customer base is so loyal that they'll snap up a half-finished device that was rushed to release with the need for tethering and minimal app support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-16, 04:09 PM

I don't think it requires tethering, it's just a wifi tablet. AFAIK, the only part that requires tethering is BIS access. Webmail and such works just fine over wifi.
post #18 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-16, 05:49 PM

there should be a filter for "quality" apps though, when people are doing these comparisons

sure some platforms have hundreds of thousands of apps

there's less than 500 decent ones though

post #19 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-16, 06:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
there's less than 500 decent ones though
On what platform? If you're talking about iOS, you're dead wrong.
post #20 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-16, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I don't think it requires tethering, it's just a wifi tablet. AFAIK, the only part that requires tethering is BIS access.
From the reviews that I have read:
You can connect to the internet via wifi and use the regular browser.

You can connect to the internet via bluetooth through any bluetooth-enabled phone that supports tethering.

You can connect to the internet via the Blackberry Bridge through most blackberries. Blackberry Bridge allows you to access your email and calendar on your blackberry, as well as the files on any internal SD card. It also includes a browser with which you can browse the internet through your BB -- this method does not involve tethering (should your carrier charge extra for tethering). There are indications that you might be able to use it to browse your corporate intranet as well (through your BES server).

There isn't any built-in way to access your email without using Blackberry Bridge, but there should be email apps available soon such as this one: http://www.playbookdaily.com/2011/04...ly-bird-video/
post #21 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 07:40 AM

iOS has a glut of horrible copy cat apps

I'm very serious about there being maybe 500 good unique apps

The number 500 is obviously one I've just made up to illustrate a point, but let's not pretend that there isn't a HUGE number of fart/mirror/flashlight apps that balloons the numbers up that apple likes to quote
post #22 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Sorry, if you're sticking to the 500 number then you have no idea what you're talking about. It's almost as bad as saying there are "maybe 500 good unique apps" for the Windows platform.
post #23 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiabatic View Post
Yup. Releasing a tablet that requires tethering to a another device shows the kind of arrogance that's going to kill RIM off one day.
How is that arrogant?

You don't have to use the tethering if you don't like it. You can always use browser-based email which is fine.

Tethering is an add on that makes a 2nd 3G/4G plan unneeded if you already own a Blackberry. No more no less.
post #24 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Yeah but it does Flash!

IMO, I think this is a huge disaster for Blackberry.

Coming to market with a half baked product was a huge mistake. No one will care six months from now when the PlayBook finally lets you send texts and emails with it.

And don't get me started on the tethering issue!

Since it's baseball season, I'd say Apple's hit a home run, the Tab struck out, Xoom hit a single and the Playbook got on base with a walk.

Next up: Acer and HP.
The Digital Home Founder is coming across as an Apple Fanboy...

Flash will be around for a long time.

A lot of the stuff I read in here reminds me of the Star's, Globe's and CBC's coverage of the election. Only the sheep will believe it.
post #25 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Keep politics out of this please. As for Flash:

Adobe plans to add HTTP Live Streaming to Flash Media Server to support iOS
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/16/adobe...-media-server/

Browser based email is not really fine when you're integrating with Exchange as you've also got tasks and calendar events to sync.
post #26 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 02:18 PM

I'm not really sure how pointing out flaws in the device makes him an apple fanboy.

I believe his point was that at this point RIM shipping now or shipping in a month would make very little difference from a market share point of view, but shipping with a more complete experience would.

If I hand someone a tablet and to access mail they have to open the browser, find their mail bookmark, login etc that's going to be a negative no matter how you spin it.
post #27 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 03:46 PM

The groundwork is there for this to be a stellar device. However coming to market about 4 months too early without a functioning email/calendar/contacts program that's not tied to a Blackberry, without any real apps to speak of and with an OS that still seems to be working the bugs out, well, that seems to be a big mistake. While they were under pressure to meet their target release date and get it out before a couple of competitors' tablets made their appearance, I think first impressions mean a lot and they blew it on that score. The old rock and hard place scenario, I suppose. RIM is an important business for Canada's tech industry and so I hope they get their act together quickly or they run the risk of the market passing them by.

One thing I wish they had done is offer it in a 10" version, as well as the current 7" model. I got the wife an ipad for Christmas and I wouldn't want anything smaller for browsing on the web, reading email or reading a book. I could very well be an exception but I think if they want to expand into the consumer market in a meaningful fashion, they'll need a larger model.
post #28 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 07:43 PM
Veteran

I am coming from a background of a BB user for about 7 years and an iPad owner for one year. I have had my hands on a playbook and I think this device is a disaster for RIM although they still have the best smartphones on the market if you care about text entry.

RIM is pushing this as a corporate device but when you look at their marketing campaign they seem to really be pushing the media playback aspect which is much more a retail feature.

The UI is really nice, including using the bezel, and the multiple-tasking works well.

Since the current device does not have an email app they are limiting their potential market to owners of BBs that seems stupid to me. They have given out several hundred pre-release versions of the Playback but to set it up for email you need to download Blackberry Bridge from the BB app store - but it isn't available yet - WTF?

The size is good to hold in one hand but much smaller than the iPad. Since RIM expects you to carry a BB plus a PB I think this is a mistake and they should have gone with a bigger screen since the most important business use of a tab over a smartphone is document reading.

One thing on apps - the PB doesn't need as many apps as the iPad since it runs Flash. The reason that you need lots of apps on the iPad is that you can't use the video from the website.
post #29 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Since RIM expects you to carry a BB plus a PB I think this is a mistake and they should have gone with a bigger screen since the most important business use of a tab over a smartphone is document reading.
I wonder how many iPad users also carry a phone around?

As for reviews, I thought this one was somewhat ironic:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383525,00.asp
Quote:
Multitasking on the PlayBook is good in theory, but weak in implementation. The view you get of open apps is similar to that on the Xoom—meaning, you typically will get a "live" view of what you were most recently doing in each app. However, RIM made a fairly crucial mistake here—the apps are all actually running, it seems, even when in the background.
I'm actually somewhat surprised that someone that writes for a PC magazine doesn't understand the concept of multitasking. Multitasking does not mean that applications will stop when they aren't in the foreground.
post #30 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 09:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampbell View Post
I wonder how many iPad users also carry a phone around?
Not exactly the point. To get integrated email on a Playbook you have to have a Blackberry. To get integrated email on a iPad you don't have to have an iPhone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in