Asus eeePad Transformer discussions - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-10, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Well, my wife likes hers too much, so I just picked up another Transformer Pad for myself!

Charging...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-10, 07:07 PM
Veteran

rsambuca: Did you guys play around with the xoom before buying the transformer? Are they very much the same unit. The asus simply skinned and cheaper?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

Last edited by TKG26; 2011-05-10 at 07:11 PM. Reason: more
post #63 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-10, 08:44 PM
Veteran

Yeah, i played around with the Xoom for a bit in the store. The reasons I went with the Asus over the Xoom were the IPS display and of course price. For me, the IPS displays are much better than the Xoom.

post #64 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-10, 09:09 PM
Veteran

This is what i have read as well. The display plus the price tag makes it a better buy, I understand they run there own UI overtop of honeycomb. Ill have to find a video of what it looks like.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #65 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-11, 04:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Well, my wife likes hers too much, so I just picked up another Transformer Pad for myself!

Charging...
you just "picked up" one? Whaaaa? There's some stock still available?
post #66 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-11, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Apparently Memory Express has a standing order with Asus for 1000 units. They seem to get about a dozen per week. You can put yourself on their call list, and they will hold it for you when they come in.
post #67 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-16, 03:06 PM

Found a 32G today,, took it back

I'm in Kingston Ontario and our Canada Computers store is just up the street from me. Even though their online stock said zero I stopped in and they had a 32 G Asus Transformer on a display shelf. I've had one on order with Amazon since May 2'nd with no delivery date given yet so I bought this one. I was very please to have found one. I took it back to work with me and put it on charge. After a few minutes I turned it on and started to set it up. My initial impression was that this is a very nice tablet. Screen is big and clear and Honeycomb seems good as well. After I handled it for a few minutes I unfortunately noticed that the edge of the case on the left side of the screen was not tight. As I held the device my thumb would push down and the edge of the case would move slightly and creak. It was minor, but it just made the case feel a little flimsy. After looking at it and handling it more I decided to return it. The folks at CC looked at it and agreed that there was a defect with the case and gave me a full refund. No idea when they will get more in, but they put my name on the wait list for either a 16 or a 32G and hoped they would have stock by the end of the week. I guess we will see,, but at least I have now seen and held one. I guess another lesson learned here is to drop by the store and not trust on-line availablity lists.
post #68 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 07:18 AM

General question: When you buy one of these do you need to spend the extra money on the 32gb model or is the 16gb good enough? I was wondering if, with the ability to attach external storage, the smaller one might be sufficient.
post #69 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 08:04 AM
Veteran

16gig should be enough, the push for apps to be developed to be installed on SD is strong from the phone users. Having a HTC DESIRE with a tiny internal memory size of 512meg its a major pain in the rear. App to SD has moved most of my apps to SD, but many apps will only install to phone. That said 16gigs is a huge step from 512 and I would be very comfortable with that size especially with an added SD card to have most things installed on.

post #70 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 11:23 AM
Veteran

It obviously depends on your usage. For me, I went with the 16 GB model, and picked up a 16 GB microSD card for $29 at the same time. If I need to, I can get 3 16 GB memory cards for the same price as the upgrade to a 32GB Transformer would have cost me.
post #71 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-30, 11:23 AM

Honeycomb 3.1 Upgrade Scheduled for Tomorrow

It's being posted at XDA that Asus will upgrade the Asus Transformer tablet to 3.1 OTA starting tomorrow. Apparently the upgrade has already been leaked and a few brave people has already installed it. Did not see any mention of it here so I thought I would post. I will be looking forward to the update to see if it solves some of the minor issues the tablet currently has.
post #72 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-30, 08:17 PM

I'd still like to get my hands on one of these to play with
post #73 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 09:07 AM

Tikker,

Where are you located? They are starting to show up around here in Ontario. My local Canada Computers have stock and yesterday I dropped in at Staples and they were setting up a display because they just recieved some in as well.
post #74 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 09:30 AM

Saskatchewan, an hour outside saskatoon

Granted I'm also not scouring Regina or Saskatoon for one, but the shops here are a bit slower at bringing in more niche product
post #75 of 185 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 10:10 AM

I was at a Vision's (in Edmonton) and they had a demo model to play with, maybe they have some at their locations in Sask too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in