Amazon Android App Store "not available in your region" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Amazon Android App Store "not available in your region"

So after literally counting down the days until the latest "Angry Birds" installment became available, my 7 year old woke me up early and we raced downstairs this a.m. to download it. The developer had announced a few weeks ago the android version would only be available through the new Brazilian River android app store. Fair enough - spent the better part of an hour setting up a new Brazilian River account, downloading the Brazilian River app store app, configuring everything (including, of course, providing credit card info. despite the app being free), etc etc etc.

Finally the moment of truth - with a 7 year old beside himself with excitement looking over my shoulder, I hit "purchase app" from the Brazilian River app store and...
"not available in your region" pops up

It's been about an hour now and, having sent a scathing email to the Brazilian River company and the developer, I've calmed down somewhat - any ideas as to a workaround? I've tried using a US address for the Brazilian River account and using a VPN to try to fool the Brazilian River company into thinking I'm in the US, but no go. I suspect there's something in the phone that's telling the Brazilian River company I'm attempting to download an app in Canada - anything like a VPN for phones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 08:10 PM

It says right on the page.

Quote:
Product Details
Download restrictions:
• Amazon Appstore is only available to customers located in the United States
This is not unusual in this digital age.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 08:46 PM

I also can't download it. I'm using an unlocked Nexus One that I got straight from Google, so they're clearly not checking by phone. It might be by carrier or they might be reading your location from the phone. Since it was an off-market install I don't know what permissions it has access to.

I'm disappointed, but not really surprised. Hopefully a work around will emerge.

Edit: scratch the permissions part; it has access to Storage, Network communication, and Phone calls. Network communication likely means they can detect your carrier. Maybe try again with your SIM out?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:25 PM
Veteran

what is the lastest angry birds called? Perhaps a link to the place you are shopping from?

I have Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons. Is there now a 3rd version?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 09:56 PM

Have you guys tried using a VPN to get through the geo block?

look for vpnandroid com

Last edited by Coop; 2011-03-22 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added address
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 08:22 AM
Member #1

Can I assume that Brazilian River is supposed to be an alias for Amazon?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
what is the lastest angry birds called? Perhaps a link to the place you are shopping from?

I have Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons. Is there now a 3rd version?
The newest version (3rd) is called Angry Birds Rio as a tie-in to the new movie.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 11:23 AM

Quote:
The newest version (3rd) is called Angry Birds Rio as a tie-in to the new movie.
And here I thought Rio was a city in Brazil or that Brazilian river which name eludes me.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Can I assume that Brazilian River is supposed to be an alias for Amazon?
Indeed - the spam filter was making the OP unreadable - sorry if I broke any posting rules.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
I also can't download it. I'm using an unlocked Nexus One that I got straight from Google, so they're clearly not checking by phone. It might be by carrier or they might be reading your location from the phone. Since it was an off-market install I don't know what permissions it has access to.

I'm disappointed, but not really surprised. Hopefully a work around will emerge.

Edit: scratch the permissions part; it has access to Storage, Network communication, and Phone calls. Network communication likely means they can detect your carrier. Maybe try again with your SIM out?
Did find a work around - googled "angry birds rio apk" and found a couple of sites to download the app directly. Between the lad and I, we're now one level away from completion

What pi**ed me off the most about this was that I didn't discover the app couldn't be downloaded from the amazon app store until AFTER I'd set up the mandatory Amazon account, given them credit card info (coming soon to a hacker's hard drive near you ), entered all the usual account crapola, downloaded and installed the amazon app store app, burning up X % of the precious hard drive of my N1, only to discover I couldn't download any apps anyway. I suppose I could have read the "only available in the US" fine print before doing any of that, but when you've got a 7 year old AB addict dragging you out of bed early to get the app for him, you tend not to do that.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 02:04 PM
Member #1

The Spam filter does not stop you from using the word Amazon.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
The Spam filter does not stop you from using the word Amazon.
It definitely did yesterday when I was posting, Hugh, although it was a bit hit or miss. The "amazon" in the title got *'d out, as did about half of the references in the post itself. Rest assured, I didn't start the post using "Brazilian river".
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 03:54 PM
Digital Sage

AMAZON DOT COM (ONE WORD) won't work but Amazon will.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 04:40 PM

I've edited the title so hopefully people will be less confused.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-25, 12:34 PM
Rookie

VPN..no go!

I tried the vpn option over 3G, and that did not work. I will try over wifi tonight. Maybe that will work...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in