iPad 2: The reviews are out - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

iPad 2: The reviews are out

Quote:
It is a refinement of the original iPad — an impressive one, in several ways, considering that it arrives just 11 months after the original. But it is in no way a radical or significant departure from last year’s model. The fact is, Apple got it right with the iPad 1 in almost every way, and the iPad 2 reflects that. If you didn’t like the original iPad, you’re not going to like the iPad 2. If you liked the original iPad, you’re going to like the iPad 2 even better.
from John Gruber, Daring Fireball

Other Reviews

PC Mag Summary

Quote:
Pros
Thinner than the original. New A5 chip offers faster graphics processing, general performance. Dual cameras for video chat, HD video recording, and stills. Improved design incorporates internal magnets for Smart Cover accessory. 3G versions available on AT&T and Verizon Wireless. Improved AirPlay features. Supports HDMI output (via optional adapter).

Cons
Image quality with rear-facing camera is not great. Front-facing camera is not HD. Still no Flash video support. No earbuds included.

Bottom Line
The clear standout in the ever-widening sea of tablets, the Apple iPad 2 brings a slimmer design, faster processing, dual cameras, and FaceTime video chat to a tablet that already had a leg up on the competition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

The sentiment that ipad lovers will love it more and iPad haters will hate it even more doesn't surprise me.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 08:15 AM
Veteran

This has me questioning if I "need" an iPad2. I've lived this long without one and the new model doesn't really add much.

Maybe the next version is worth waiting for.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Other than food and shelter, you don't "need" anything.

Regardless, lets keep this topic focused on the iPad2.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Well, I'll be getting a new tablet, just a bit of debate on which one.

After reading the iPad2 reviews, it's clear the faster processor and faster graphics processor have a significant impact on performance. I could care less about the cameras but performance matters.

The one thing that got me interested in the Motorola Xoom was the web browsing performance but the Sunspider tests suggest the new graphics processor and the new Nitro javascript engine will give iPad2 comparable performance.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 10:15 AM
Veteran

From Daring Fireball:

Quote:
SunSpider 0.9.1 Benchmark (Smaller Is Better)
Device (OS) Time
iPad 1 (4.2) 8103 ms
iPad 1 (4.3) 3340 ms
iPad 2 (4.3) 2161 ms

For comparison, the Motorola Xoom seems to achieve ever-so-slightly faster results on the same benchmark: about 2050-2100 ms. As you can see from the above numbers for the iPad 1, though, SunSpider is obviously very sensitive to the underlying JavaScript engine — it’s not simply a test of CPU performance.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 02:18 AM
Veteran

I'll get one, but only because i need to upgrade from the 16GB model anyways...I'm constantly running out of space.

The cameras are clearly aimed at video use, and are not premium for stills, but I'm OK with that. 64GB wifi, here i come!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 10:18 AM
Wyl

I think getting a discounted iPad one is GREAT deal now. I guess if your using the iPad for games it's worth getting the iPad2 ...

For daily use, (other then facetime, and games) I see no really difference other then price comparing 1 to 2
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 07:28 PM

Web browsing and other apps are noticeably faster on the new one. You will get what you pay for in the long run. Having the first one available for now just adds another price point. I would however suspect that it will not be available much longer since they are no longer in production. Apple will in a few months also have refurbished iPad twos no doubt. In the long run prices will also drop with better competition. The question is what you are willing to pay and how long you want to wait. I suspect this Christmas season we will see a price drop on some tablets as competition becomes fierce and the weaker products become desperate.

Right now one of the big questions is will the screen bleed manufacturing issue and supply disruptions especially with flash memory effect apple and other tablet makers. I would expect a very tight supply if the retail launch goes ahead on the 25th. Online orders in the USA are now scheduled for a month delay.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-13, 03:59 AM
Veteran

@judyz :

Any comment on the screen glare? The iPad, IMHO, has a terrible screen coating and is quite difficult to read in common scenarios.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-03-13, 05:00 PM

I would say the screen is essentially the same. Apple went with thinner glass to reduce weight but otherwise identical so glare can still be an issue.

Tags
ipad , ipad2 , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in