6 Reasons To Love and Hate the Xoom - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 02:41 PM
Digital Sage

You mentioned the dual core processors which is within the graph and reason for link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 02:58 PM

No LTE is a much bigger issue in the US where Verizon Xoom users are stuck on EVDO speeds. If a carrier picks it up in Canada it will almost assuredly be an HSPA+ variant which will already be significantly faster.

I'm sure the app support will catch up relatively quickly. At the moment the Honeycomb market is so small that developing apps for it seems like a waste of resources. As long as the Xoom sales are decent, and once a couple of other Honeycomb tablets hit the market, I'm sure the number of apps will pick up quickly.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 03:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure the dual core processor is the primary reason for the Xoom's speediness. The HP touchpad and iPad2 will also have dual core processors (don't know about RIM) so it will be interesting to see they all compare.
I'm not so sure about that in the context of a browser since browser rendering engines are very much single threaded processes. You would only see serious improvements form multiple cores if you have multiple DOMs (pages) processing markup in parallel. A new item (which is talked about with HTML5, but is not included in the standard) is web worker threads. Those do add a little bit of multithreading to the browser environment, but they aren't able to access the DOM so they don't directly affect the page.

If you want a faster computer for browsers, you're better off going with high core speeds and lots of instruction level parallelism (e.g. by having a out-of-order "superscalar" design) instead of multiple cores. ARM Cortex A9 chips are out-of-order (whereas A8 and prior designs are in-order), so I suspect chips using the A9 design will provide a substantial bump for browser rendering performance.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 03:42 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4191/m...blet-arrives/6

anandtechs review. as you can see it smashes the ipad 1 in browser speed.

ie engadget.com at 4.7 sec vs 23.8 sec on ipad.

but like i said we need an ipad2 review to be fair as the ipad is about a year old.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-03-09, 06:23 PM
Veteran

redzone:

I think that benchmark win for Android/Xoom is more attributable to Android having a faster/better browser than iOS. It's a software thing more than a hardware thing.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 09:20 AM

soo that still makes it better no?

i think if anyone has proved that specs arnt everything its apple...

on a side note the new 4.3 update apparently makes the ipad about 50% faster in javascript.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

iPad2 has faster Graphics processing engine and new javascript engine which all of the reviews says makes for much faster web browsing comparable to Xoom.

Having said that, SunSpider benchmarks are nice but it would be interesting to see these devices (and the HP Touchpad) in a side by side real-life comparison.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 11:37 AM

Xoom is getting an update to get ready for the Flash 10.2 update. Update for an update...

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_xoo...-news-2408.php

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in