iPad 2 ships March 11th (March 25th in Canada) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 04:16 PM
Veteran

I just bought our 3rd iPad for my daughter's B-Day 10 days ago. I knew iPad 2 was coming btw...

I know I could return it to wait for the new one. However, Apple has already adjusted their price to $419 for the 16 GB Wifi (which is what I purchased) down from $549.

I think I would rather get the price adjustment than the new one. $419 is a great price point considering what the device does.

Even if iPad 2 is not a HUGE update, it will continue to sell very well, and as others have pointed out, the Smart Cover magnetic "thingy" is what I'm coveting at this time. I'll likely wait for a higher resolution display until I upgrade my iPad. To me, that's the killer feature. Processors will always increase in speed over time so it's a no brainer.

On a side note, we have discussed 4.3 and personal hotspot somewhere else on this site a while back and I hope Rogers (and other Cdn wireless providers) don't screw that one up. I'm already paying for data I barely use and I should be able to decide how I access it, be it tethering with my laptop, personal hotspot or through the iPhone 4 itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 04:27 PM

The original iPad 16GB wi-fi is now being sold for $419 in Canada. Based on the revised Apple US pricing of the original iPad 16 GB wi-fi to $399, we may be in store for a $20 premium. Still better than $50, but I like your pricing better, Hugh!

Last edited by windsordude51; 2011-03-02 at 04:34 PM. Reason: update
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
For me, a tablet (any brand) needs SD support. When I travel I take lots of photos. A 2.5" screen is to small to realize something is wrong with the photo.
You know there is an SD adapter you can get to load up your pictures?

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 05:50 PM

I am so getting one ... for USD499 (CAD498) from the US ;-)
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 06:39 PM
Veteran

I'll get one, not because this update is super-compelling, but because like someone else stated our household needs/wants more of them and I want a 64GB model anyways.
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 09:05 PM
Veteran

I haven't jumped on the tablet bandwagon yet (not counting my Tablet PC), and am definitely eyeing the iPad 2. Judging from a video that Engadget posted, it looks to be blazingly fast.

I'd probably even be content with the 16GB Wi-Fi only model.
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
Nice hardware upgrade, and thinner/lighter, but no retina display screen and no built-in USB or SD slots. May hold off some more and see what iPad3 will bring.
If you are holding out on an iPad for more slots or ports then you'll have a long wait. Apple will never add memory card slots and all ports will be fed through the dock connector using adapter cables.

If those things are important to you, you may as well look to competitor products.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 11:10 PM
Veteran

I don't quite understand why the SD card slot is such a big deal for certain people. There's a camera connector to offload pics while on a trip. Otherwise, if storage is that important, get a 64 GB model and you should be able to get plenty of content off a computer. I have a 16 GB and I carry a dozen movies or TV shows, a few hundred songs and plenty of digital books and magazines to keep me busy for days.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 11:19 PM
Veteran

Forgot to mention that I just got a $150 refund on the price of the original iPad I had bought at BB 10 days ago. That's $130 plus GST (Alberta) plus 10% of the difference. Final price of the 16 GB unit including tax ends up being $427.

I got them to price match the Canadian Apple Store website.

I was hoping for a price drop when I bought it and the plan worked perfectly. This is a fantastic price for such a great device.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-02, 11:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari8472 View Post
I am so getting one ... for USD499 (CAD498) from the US ;-)
Using the official exchange rate it should be more like 486CAD
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 07:50 AM

I am interested in the lighter weight, that is actually the only thing that bugs me about my iPad 1...
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerChip View Post
I don't quite understand why the SD card slot is such a big deal for certain people.
They want to expand the usable capacity. Perhaps but the cheaper 16GB model and a 16GB SD card.

At the very least having to trail a dongle around for that would be inconvenient.

The same for USB really.

Apple, in their wisdom, said basically no, to make it easier for them, more secure for their users and themselves both in security of their OS and software/content sales, hardware accessory sales, and premium costs for higher capacty units.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 11:25 PM
Veteran

Apple (Jobs, really) has stayed away from external storage mostly because once you do that, users are now confronted with a file system and a file manager. Their over-riding mandate has been to keep it simple for everyone by making the file system invisible to the end user.

I'm not at all a fan of this choice by them as I am frequently frustrated by Apple's insistence on "libraries" instead of "files", but I do see the reasons for their madness.

I don't expect to see external storage on an iPad as long as Jobs still has control over the project - my feeling from him is that this is as important to him as making products that look fabulous.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 11:37 PM
Veteran

And this makes it very awkward to get files onto the iPad as they make you jam everything through iTunes. That is one of my least favourite things about the device, along with the lack of cursor keys on the keyboard.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 01:21 AM
Veteran

For Apple apps maybe, but for everything else that's far from the case. I have a lot of different content on mine and it either comes wirelessly through Bonjour/web servers or via Dropbox.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in