How to hook up an N1 to an AUX input - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

How to hook up an N1 to an AUX input

I want to be able to tap into an AUX input in my car's stereo system using my Nexus One. It has the typical yellow, red, white RCA jack inputs. The car has factory installed rear entertainment system.

I've seen write-ups on what people are doing when it comes to iPod's and iPhones's, but I haven't seen anything for other phones, such as my Nexus One.

For iPod's you can buy a wire that is specifically for Apple products that plugs into your iPod, but has stereo jacks for the output. Simple plug these into the RCA jacks, and done. I've also seen people install a device called USA Spec (I think), that is installed on the back of the radio, but has a wire come out that you plug your iPod into. As far as I've seen, USA Spec only does Apple stuff.

Does anybody know what I need to do for the Nexus One? Maybe there's a Bluetooth adaptor someone makes that I can install on the back of the radio, and it then communicates with the N1 via bluetooth.

Where might I buy wires for my application?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 09:00 AM
Veteran

You could probably just use a stereo RCA-to-3.5mm adapter for this purpose. Only costs a few dollars.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks BGY11 - Is the 3.5mm the size of the plug that fits into the bottom of the N1? Is that all it's called, too? A 3.5mm?

I'm goint to check Monoprice to see what they've got.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 10:15 AM

Yup, the standard headphone jack, like on your Nexus One, is 3.5mm.

You can get 3.5mm to RCA adapters/cables many places, possibly even your local dollar store.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Does anybody know what I need to do for the Nexus One?
The dock I bought with my Nexus One came with a cable that can plug into the headphone jack or the dock. It has RCA phono plugs on the other end. You should be able to find similar at places that sell audio patch cords.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ahah JamesK - I'm at work, so I can't check just yet, but I also bought the car dock. Is that the dock you bought or was it the charging cradle dock which would likely be used indoors somewhere?

What would be better still, is if I could do it through Bluetooth and install a bluetooth accessory that would plug into the car's radio, and then sync with the N1 via bluetooth. That way, I can still put my phone in the car dock (mounted on the window below the rear view mirror) without having to plug in addition wires, or run additional wires to this location. That would be slick.

Better yet, would be somehow to hack into the car's bluetooth capability that it already uses for handsfree cellular use and play content from the N1 directly into the existing bluetooth receiver. But I'm sure I'm dreaming on that one.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 04:09 PM
Rookie

It's the just the charging dock, which I use at home.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 04:43 PM

Try connecting the bluetooth to the car and then checking your dock and bluetooth settings. With the car dock there's a setting to enable media over bluetooth.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 05:23 PM
Rookie

This can be found at any dollor store, or electronics surplus store:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in