Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 yr left with Telus - Will Bell or Rogers pay ECF's?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  x katt x 
#1 ·
Two years ago, when I was with Bell... Telus paid my ECF with Bell for two cell phones to leave Bell for Telus. I actually called the Telus Retentions # even though I wasn't a Telus Customer at the time but they were quick to put out the welcome mat for me when I told them that I would like to sign up for two phones. Not only did Telus pay my ECF for two lines, they even gave me a 'retentions' type monthly plan that was far better than an advertised plan.

Incidentally, Bell did nothing to stop me two years ago.

Now two years into it, I am wondering if Bell or Rogers would do the same to get me to leave Telus? I have 1 year left with Telus and would like to get ditch two HTC Touch Diamond Phones for two new iphone 4's. Not sure what Telus would do to keep me as a customer.

Anyone got any experiences with this?

#4 ·
Being that I am on a contract with Telus for 12 more months, they are not willing to do anything. Will cost me $240 ($20 x 12 months) if I leave telus or $120 ($10 x 12 months) if I change devices and stay with them and as well as pay $25 to do the switch.

I called Rogers and Rogers won't do anything for me. All new customers get the same promotion.

Negotiations are heating up with Bell. Bell is very motivated to get my business - two iphones!! As of right now, it is cheaper for me to go with Bell than to change devices and stay with Telus. Also offered me a very good monthly deal but negotiations are still underway.

Bottom line, I want to minimize the costs associated with the ECF from Telus. Monthly plan will be about $7 more than what I pay now with Telus CDMA.

The question is whether I want to be out of pocket $180 to break my contract and sign up for a new 3 yr contract with Bell now or wait for 12 months or even 6 months.

I just wish that the 6 GB data is good for Canada and the USA. Eventhough competition has heated up lately with the new entrants, the cost to roam on voice and data in the USA is still price prohibitive. When will this change? Rogers is the only carrier that has data plans that cover both USA and Canada but nobody else does.

#5 ·
Bell and Rogers directly have no motivation to do this.

However, contact a dealer and you will be surprised. While they will not be able to nullify all the ECF's for you, they will certainly be able to give you a transition credit of $200 (example only), depending on the service/commitment that you sign up for.

I am in no way associated to a dealer, but I am providing info here as an alternative approach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.