Five reasons Android has peaked - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
At least the salespeople at the store were not weasels and did not try to say something like "We are out of stock, but why don't you take a look at this wonderful new phone by Apple, called iPhone 4, which is also a wonderful device, and you can take one home right away!"
They were probably sold out of that too . Like I said earlier, the smartphone market in general is still in its explosion state. We are not at the saturation mark yet, and won't be for a little while to come.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 07:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
Call it what you want, I'd still like to bet you on the "iPhone's decline for the next 6 months at least" prediction.
OK, I'll call it "you getting all crazy and defensive over a discussion".

Bet's on - meet me in Olympic Plaza 6 months from today. If you win, I'll give you $1000000.00, four Flames seasons tickets, and ownership of the Calgary Tower. (We'll just re-name it the "Arthur Dent Tower"). Oh, and I'll stomp my Android phone into the ground in front of your eyes, switch back to my iPhone, and tattoo "iPhone is best" on my forehead. If I win I just want you to say "H'mmm, didn't see that coming?".
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 08:29 PM

I'd take the mill and the tower, but we all know until they can the Sutters, the flames tickets are no incentive at all

post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 08:35 PM
Veteran

Yeah good point! I guess when you consider the Sutter brothers, my bet terms look silly. I think Arthur will be decline - oh well, next time I'll think it through further.
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 11:23 PM
Rookie

Apple has hit a large group of people devoted to the Iphone. They definitely won't lose any significant marketshare anytime soon. I also see them growing once the exclusivity deal ends, but I can't see them ever "dominating' the market (above 30%). Android won't steal any users from apple, but they'll continue growing, stealing from nokia and microsoft.
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-28, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
^ That's not any different that iPhone 3G having hardware limitations with iOS4. Or your 15 year old computer only being able to run Windows 95 (or linux )

Seriously though, the interesting part is rewind the clock to August '09 and look at where Android was and the number of Android apps. It really didn't take off until the Motorola Droid and the heavy Verizon advertizing in November. And it's still got some legs left in it to gain market share and developer enthusiam before WM7 or HP-WebOS really hit the market.

What I don't understand is why Google doesn't charge just a nominal $5 a copy. That would be a million dollars per day which they could use to fund development and support. The answer is that Google is so big and powerful that they don't really care about $1M/day in revenue. Scary!
This is not 100% acurate, as you do have to pay Google for the apps eg. maps, gmail, etc if you as the manufacturer want to include them. The OS itself is free. From what I can recall this is the situation.
post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-31, 11:56 PM

Check out this poll:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/07/19/po...be-an-android/

post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 12:08 AM

Impressive, too bad Android has already peaked lol
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 12:43 AM
Veteran

No wonder delusions are so spread in these years. You know, on the web there's a web page that says everything you want to think and a poll that proves it. Who gives a damn about professional market research companies, the only thing they can do is slam you with reality.
All right guys, I know you are posting this for fun, I'm just teasing you. It would be so unlike your well reasoned earlier opinions.
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 12:41 AM

Love this line from the article:

"There’s probably still a large group of people that need to be educated on what Android is."

I don't see what is delusional about wanting a choice of cutting edge phones with a top notch, up and coming os.

post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 11:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimaj View Post
I don't see what is delusional about wanting a choice of cutting edge phones with a top notch, up and coming os.
The delusion is the idea that it has conquered or will conquer the world (or anything at all).
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 01:32 PM

Umm, it's a phone os, not Ghengis Khan. It's just another choice in a burgeoning market. Albeit a fantastic choice that seems to be making other companies, not just apple, sweat a bit.

I'm more in the hopes that the explosion of Android forces all others to look at what they have and improve upon it, making all systems better for everyone. Now I know Android is far from perfect, but it is rattling those cages that seemed darn near unrattleable (say that ten times real fast) not to long ago.

post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 01:47 AM

Why Android will dominate the iPhone and grab half the smartphone market

The remarkable growth of Android in the past year is no mere temporary surge, and will accelerate, giving Android half of the smartphone market, leaving the iPhone in the dust. So concludes a Piper Jaffray report, which says that the iPhone will be left with from 20% to 30% of the market versus more than 50% for Android.

Full story: http://blogs.computerworld.com/16903...rtphone_market
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 11:12 AM
Veteran

An excerpt from this excellent analysis:
Quote:
For Piper Jaffray’s projections to play out there is one significant wild card: Nokia and RIM have to cave and go to Android.
I will take this prophecy even further - if Apple, Microsoft and all the other phone and OS manufacturers cave and go to Android, it will take 100% of the smartphone market!
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 11:22 PM

If anyone is going to "cave", I can see RIM deciding to give up on their OS and concentrate on their UI and Apps and layer them on a base Android OS.

The handheld OS has always been their biggest sticking point when it comes to the consumer market, and let's not forget their less than successful attempts to expand onto other manufacturer's hardware with their BlackBerry Onboard and BlackBerry Connect attempts.

Samsung FP-T5084; Yamaha RXV1400; Sony BDP-S570 & SS-X speakers; SA 4250HD; JVC SVCR (STILL ticking), Panny TH42PZ800.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in