Five reasons Android has peaked - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-25, 10:16 PM

^ Awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-25, 10:27 PM
Veteran

The main thing I like about Android is that there are several different models to choose from. If I want a hardware keyboard, there's a device for me. If I want a large display (or maybe even a ridiculous-sized one), there's some as well. I like having options.

Of course, some analysts were saying this fragmentation is what will hinder Android, but I think otherwise.
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-25, 10:36 PM
Veteran

i don't think it hinders things. My wife for instance refused to get anything without a keyboard. for her it was the deal breaker, so she got an android. iphone did not have the hardware she needed. It can only help android by having fresh devices flowing through the wireless stores.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 12:58 PM

Having the option of so many different phones is great for consumers and android, but it is also going to be a big problem. I am seeing this first hand with my milestone as it is not that old of a phone, but it is only going to be able to (maybe) get 2.2 and no higher, and same goes for many other phones other than the high enders. Tons of phones are going to have compatibility issues with android updates and this will be a sore spot for many people as updates are going to roll out very slowly for them or not at all. Look at Sony's xperia 10. Top of the line phone, but it is stuck at android 1.6 because sony/rogers is either having issues with 2.1 compatibility, or they just don't care.

Good for those who have compatible phones now, but what is going to happen in 6 months when new versions of the android os roll out and those with Desires and Galaxy s' can't get and update because there phone isn't powerful enough anymore.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 02:47 PM
Veteran

^ That's not any different that iPhone 3G having hardware limitations with iOS4. Or your 15 year old computer only being able to run Windows 95 (or linux )

Seriously though, the interesting part is rewind the clock to August '09 and look at where Android was and the number of Android apps. It really didn't take off until the Motorola Droid and the heavy Verizon advertizing in November. And it's still got some legs left in it to gain market share and developer enthusiam before WM7 or HP-WebOS really hit the market.

What I don't understand is why Google doesn't charge just a nominal $5 a copy. That would be a million dollars per day which they could use to fund development and support. The answer is that Google is so big and powerful that they don't really care about $1M/day in revenue. Scary!
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 02:53 PM
Veteran

OMG, the undying Linux hope has moved to the wireless industry! I surrender - Android is unstoppable, just like Linux! The next distro around the corner will once and for all take the remaining 95% of the market.
post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 03:23 PM

Arthur, Here is your browser prediction from just 1.5 years ago. You can see that a lot can happen in just 2 years.

Quote:
As for Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc. - I file them all in the "making a limited number of independently thinking users happy by working properly sometimes", a.k.a. "waste of time" category.
I played with an android phone today. All the kids at the office were unanimous when I asked them about getting an iPhone. "The iPhone is too expensive". That may not be entirely true but I say if the teens and 20 somethings are flocking to this thing then it should be taken seriously.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 03:32 PM

At least with Android 3.0 they are supposed to decouple the UI part, so that manufacturers can provide their SenseUI and such without having to rebuild it for each versions after that... So that should make it easier to keep up to date, of course they should have done it in 2.0...
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
OMG, the undying Linux hope has moved to the wireless industry! I surrender - Android is unstoppable, just like Linux! The next distro around the corner will once and for all take the remaining 95% of the market.
Except that unlike Linux Android is actually moving units in large quantities. It also has a lot of carrier buzz behind it, and not just from Verizon/Sprint. Canadian carriers are on board with Android, even those who have access to the iPhone. Just look at all those Telus commercials with the Desire, or Bell's big downtown promotional event with the Vibrant. They are recognizing that Android is the next big thing and that unlike the iPhone, they can differentiate themselves with the latest and greatest Android device.
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 04:18 PM
Veteran

Well, these commercials pale to the Motorola Razr campaign, but, besides the fact that the wireless carriers still advertise their latest phones, I don't see what else this proves.
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 04:39 PM

I recently participated in an organized Telus to Bell migration at another Wireless forum. I'll be getting the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and the girlfriend, who is a MacHead, will be getting an iPhone 4. Previously I've had some experience with iPhones and iPod Touches. Ahead of jumping in I did some research on the Galaxy S, reading articles and watching some review videos. I was quite impressed! Since I've historically supported alternative platforms (OS/2, Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris, etc.), it's not a big surprise I'm not going with the new 800lb gorilla (Apple.)

It'll be an interesting test between the two units. We'll see who gets envious of the other person...

Hopefully I'll be getting my phone next week while she may have to wait a couple weeks more. Heh!

Love the graphic!
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 04:43 PM
Jam

This brings up an interesting question, are android's sales being helped by the fact that nobody can get an iphone 4?

I was in the mall last weekend and saw several people walk in and ask about their new phones, inquire about the iphone 4 and walk out with an android when they were told they were sold out and it was first come first serve when and if they arrived.
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 04:50 PM

Lack of availability is certainly a factor for the iPhone losing some sales, at least here in Canada anyway.

Android rocks!
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 04:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddwarf View Post
Since I've historically supported alternative platforms (OS/2, Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris, etc.), it's not a big surprise I'm not going with the new 800lb gorilla (Apple.)
Hmm, according to stats quoted earlier in this thread, the 800 lb gorilla is still Nokia. According to posters from this thread, the "new, infinitely good-hearted, and about to turn 800 lb any time now gorilla" is Android. You've got to get your "revolutionary", or "alternative", priorities straight, I guess.
Or, at least use the term "evil new 800 lb gorilla", when talking about Apple
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 07:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddwarf View Post
.... I'll be getting the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and the girlfriend, who is a MacHead, will be getting an iPhone 4....

It'll be an interesting test between the two units. We'll see who gets envious of the other person...
That's what I've got: Android for me and the iPhone goes to my wife. And that's a good way to go - you get the best of both worlds.

But like I've posted before, I find the iPhone very frustrating to use. It seems so basic, limited, and almost dumbed down. It's great for non-technical people because it's simple. But for more advanced users it's so limited. Sync (email/calendar/contacts) is so far inferior on the iPhone. What it's great for though is games.

Android is quickly closing the gap though on the number of applications available, the reliability, and the ease of use. So I think it will keep bridging that gap and becoming more friendly for non-techies and at a cheaper price so I only see Androids popularity continuing to rise and iPhone's decline for the next 6 months at least.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in