Unlocked Cell Phone Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 11:22 AM
Veteran

I've bought many phones in Indonesia and Australia. As long as they are quad-band GSM, they WILL work in the US and Canada.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 03:09 PM
Veteran

If its quad band, it will work on rogers/fido in Canada. That's it.

For 3G bands, if it runs on 1900/2100 it will work on Robelus
and if it runs on 1700/2100 ("AWS") it will work with Wind/Mobilicity/(and soon to be) Videotron.

If the 3G band doesn't match and it's a smartphone, you're looking at just voice/text on rogers/fido and very slow data.
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

For 3G bands, it needs to support 850/1900 to work on Robellus - not 1900/2100).

post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 11:29 AM
Veteran

Sorry, the phones are all compatible with 2100 so I assumed they actually used it

The important frequencies, as you said, are 850/1900 or 1700.
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 02:01 PM

See why I said it's easy for the tech-savvy but the ordinary customer can run into trouble.
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-12, 02:26 PM
Rookie

New article on CBC.ca regarding unlocked cell phones -> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...vice-plan.html
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-12, 04:51 PM

I read that article. The author doesn't seem to understand the concept of carrier-locked.
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-12, 05:38 PM
Veteran

It's fun to read that joke of an article though. It shows that too many people aren't supposed to have a particular job are in position.

If you read the comments, you'll see that not a single one of the ones I scan through posted anything positive regarding the article.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
...If you read the comments, you'll see that not a single one of the ones I scan through posted anything positive regarding the article.
Not only no positive comments about the article, but also a major venting on the sorry state of the wireless business in Canada. Yes, many of the posters are more tech-savvy than the "average" person, but so many of the comments are deadly accurate.
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
New article on CBC.ca regarding unlocked cell phones
Here's another article:

‘Death-grip’ contracts mean Canadians pay double for cellphones, study says
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 04:55 PM
Veteran

The article is correct, for the most part. Except for jumping the shark with this statement:

“The economic value of a contracted iPhone 4 customer in Canada is $3,689. Contrast that figure with the $1,598 value of a customer buying the same phone from a carrier in the U.K. Poor Canadian consumers are paying 2.3 times more for the same device – if they keep the device for the full term."

For the $3,689 a Canadian pays, he gets the phone and 3 years of service. For $1,598, the Brit gets the phone and 18 (or 12) months of service. Using these numbers as comparable is just plain stupid, and ruins the otherwise valid other points the author makes.

Also, I don't know how he came up with the UK number that he uses. I hope it's based on statistics about what iPhone users have ended up paying over the years, not an arbitrarily quoted UK plan price. There is one thing that often people overlook - minutes included in European cell contracts (they call them "free") are almost always the absolute minimum that the clients use, and almost always they pay a lot on top of that. (Higher priced contracts give a lot more unlimited stuff and cheaper rates, of course.) While in Canada, for good or bad reasons, people tend to stay within the limits of their plans.
post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 08:04 PM
Veteran

I'd rather have the Indonesian style.

pay full price for the phone
no activation fee, you just pay x amount of money to get the SIM card and already included that same amount of money which you can use either for browsing, text or voice whichever way you want.

By activating the SIM card: unlimited incoming (voice and text) caller ID, VoiceMail, call waiting, 3 way calling, are already included at no extra charge.

post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-09-19, 12:42 AM

If you buy an iPhone 4 from the Apple store, are you still locked into a term or contract? I am with Rogers and have one year left on my contract. I understand that I have to honor the contract but at the end of the contract am I then free to use/switch carriers at will?

Bill
post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-09-19, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

If you buy it at full price than yes. You could also order it from Apple.ca.
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 10:27 AM
Veteran

If you buy it for a full price, either from apple.ca, or from an Apple store, you are NOT bound by any contract, and the phone is unlocked. If you are getting any kind of subsidy, you will be bound by a contract, and the phone will be locked, regardless of where you bought it from.
If you buy it for a full price (no contract) from a Rogers, Telus, or Bell store, the phone will still be locked, even though there will be no contract. Nobody should do that. Use Apple for full price purchases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in