Nifty applets for Android - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-30, 07:32 AM
Veteran

Goggles was already installed on my Nexus One. I was experimenting with it the other day. I tried reading bar codes, translating text, recognizing my notebook etc. It looks interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-30, 08:18 AM
Veteran

Shazam: very cool for those times your listining to the radio enjoying a tune but the DJ does not repeat the name of the song or artist. Used it at a pub on the weekend and it made out the music playing more times then none.

http://www.shazam.com/

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #48 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-30, 10:11 AM
apn

I really like the "Places" app pre-installed on my Nexus One.

I was in southern NY over the weekend and the ability to find things relative to current GPS location proved very useful.

What's for Dinner? Well, here's a list of nearby restaurants, with reviews, links, map and directions.
Where's the nearest gas station, ATM, Home Depot, Lowe's?

Very handy when you're in unfamiliar territory!

post #49 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-30, 04:36 PM

I like Zedge more than Ringlert, less permissions too.
post #50 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-09-06, 10:31 AM
Veteran

Another app is "TuneIn Radio", which receives radio stations via the internet.
post #51 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 01:42 PM
apn

I've found Key Ring to be a useful tool to manage the many loyalty cards that formerly stuffed my wallet.
post #52 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apn View Post
I've found Key Ring to be a useful tool to manage the many loyalty cards that formerly stuffed my wallet.
@apn - I tried that app and couldn't get it to work at two of the stores I used it at the most. Does scanning it work on your phone?

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier
post #53 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 01:35 PM

I'm curious too, I tried air miles and safeway card at safeway and could not get it to scan. I have a Nexus One.
post #54 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 03:33 AM
apn

Hmm, I just used at LCBO for the first time (Nexus One). It seemed to scan OK, but kept returning invalid number. When the clerk manually entered the air miles card # it still came back invalid.

When I got home I checked the app and found that it added a '5' digit to the end of the air miles card #, which might be why I had a problem. I deleted and re-entered my air miles card, hoping a recent app upgrade might resolve it, but the card # still had the extra digit on the end.

Here are some tips for successful scanning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eksEYwtyhFA
post #55 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apn View Post
Hmm, I just used at LCBO for the first time (Nexus One). It seemed to scan OK, but kept returning invalid number. When the clerk manually entered the air miles card # it still came back invalid.

When I got home I checked the app and found that it added a '5' digit to the end of the air miles card #, which might be why I had a problem. I deleted and re-entered my air miles card, hoping a recent app upgrade might resolve it, but the card # still had the extra digit on the end.

Here are some tips for successful scanning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eksEYwtyhFA
I wonder if it's the AMOLED screen on my Galaxy S that's the problem. The scanners at Sobeys and the LCBO didn't pick up anything.

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier
post #56 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 09:25 PM
Veteran

Recently tried out Google Sky Map and it seemed to work quite well. It's great for anyone who likes astronomy, or just wonders what that bright star/planet is in the sky.

You can either scroll through the sky map as usual, or you can use the phone's accelerometer/sensors to pinpoint an exact location in the sky.
post #57 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 03:10 PM

Recently was trying a couple text to speech apps and found that Vlingo is superior to Shoutout.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #58 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 10:50 PM
Veteran

Just a shout out to Appbrain.. This has made my android app life much easier. ITs a must have and really is a replacement for marketplace.. I love the ability to browse on my computers for apps and send them to my phone.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #59 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 08:46 PM
Veteran

In my ongoing hunt for a music player that worked well and provided gapless playback, I've finally managed to find one that's close enough: PowerAmp. While not mentioned as a feature, I noticed that track changes are extremely quick with this app (near-gapless). The program seems to take a couple of seconds to load, but once it does it's fairly speedy overall. You can even choose between folder or tag-based navigation.

The free version is apparently time-limited, but to me it seems well worth the $5 upgrade price. It has replaced MortPlayer for me.
post #60 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 09:14 PM
Veteran

I've had no issues with the native music app - what do you mean by gapless?
When songs end the next one plays instantly (the only pause is in the music file itself, if any) and selecting a new song/next/prev is the same - no delay

Perhaps the app changed for 2.2? (assuming you are not running 2.2, of course)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in