Nifty applets for Android - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-07-30, 07:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
"applets" and not apps?
That's the general term for them, because they tend to be small specific function utilities that are written in Java. Here's what Wikipedia says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-06, 06:02 PM

I've been using Tasker. It's a fantastic phone automation tool.

I've got it doing the following:

Turning on WiFi when at home and turning it off when I leave.
Setting ringer and notification volume to low when I'm at work
Going into silent mode when I'm in meetings
Reading SMS messages when I'm driving
Responding with its location when a specific phrase is sent via SMS
post #33 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-17, 09:16 AM

I've just come from Blackberry, here are a couple of my favs that I've downloaded:

"Mileage": This app is free - track and record you fuel mileage easily. Review statistics and trends. Great if you drive a lot and if you care about it...

"Jewels": an addictive copy of the game "bejeweled". Can't go wrong for free

"Paper Toss": just an easy, good looking game to kill a few minutes if you have to. Also free.

"Weatherbug Elite": Pay app - The most comprehensive, easy to use, best looking weather app I tried

"Widget Locker": Pay app - allows you to completely customize how the locking screen looks and works. Allows you to add widgets to it, shortcuts to apps, change the style of locking slider etc. Also allows you to set a different locking screen background vs. your desktop background. Note, depending how you set this up your phone won't be completely locked when it is locked, because you can still open and close apps, widgets etc.

"Convert Pad": A handy free app to quickly convert just about any unit you would ever need to during everyday life.

+1 vote for "Ringlert": awesome app for free ringtones, alert sounds etc. Much easier than searching the net, downloading, transferring to your phone... etc.

"Dialer One" A free dialer replacement using T9 and your contacts to find and dial contacts easily.

"Handscent SMS": A free SMS handler. Better looking and easy to manage than the stock messaging app.

"Where's my Droid?": A free app. set a codeword or phrase and if you can't find your phone get someone else to text it. you can set it to override the ring settings and ring loud for a set period of time, also turn on the gps via a different phrase or the same one. I frequently forget where I put my phone down in the house, and this has made it much easier / quicker to find it by sending a text from the wife's phone.

Those are some of the ones I use regularly.

post #34 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-24, 08:26 PM
Veteran

I wish the android market(desktop browser version) would get an update:
-allow searching
-allow emailing an app link so you can direct download from your phone when you find something on the market via your pc

ok just copy iTunes! iDroid market please!

That said here are some applets i like:
-tank recon 3d
-tower raiders
-goggles-

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #35 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-24, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
-allow emailing an app link so you can direct download from your phone when you find something on the market via your pc
If you use Chrome-to-phone, you can send links to your phone directly. Very cool app/chrome plugin.

Android rocks!
post #36 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-24, 09:44 PM
Veteran

need froyo 2.2 but ill keep an eye out for it...

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #37 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-24, 11:01 PM
Veteran

probably the most important applet to have on our capped data plans:
-data counter widget(shows wifi usage and cellular data usage)
-3G Watchdog(same as above but does not show wifi data, so i am not sure if its monitoring "all" data or just 3g data?)

im testing both out for the month and see how they work out at the end.

post #38 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-25, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
You know you can just take a pic of a QR code on a web page and the phone will go directly to that app, right?

Get the barcode scanner app and then try it out. Here is an old example page that uses these, they may or may not work. You'll get the idea:

http://androinica.com/2009/08/31/50-...ity-apps-1-15/
post #39 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 10:41 AM

I've been using http://www.appbrain.com for a few weeks now and must say it's a great alternative to the standard Android market.

From their webpage: "AppBrain is a website which makes sense out of the high number of apps available in the Android market."

It's not different from the Android Market just a different presentation.

You use the app on your phone and then sync with the apps you've choosen to download or uninstall from the webpage.

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier
post #40 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 01:27 PM

Jvincent, is Chrome the default browser for Android phones? I assume it is. I just got the Samsung Galaxy and exploring apps. How do I get the Chrome-to-phone installed? Thanks.
post #41 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 01:31 PM

I'm exploring some apps for the Samsung Galaxy. Among many I installed:

- Synthesis SyncML to sync contacts between the phone and an email server. Works well.

- xtremelabs Speedtest...to do what the name implies!

- Toronto Traffic

Thanks for the reference to appbrain. I'm heading there shortly.
post #42 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

@jpaik,

Depending on which phone your are running the stock browser is a Chrome light from Google or an HTC modded variant, etc.

There are two pieces to Chrome2phone.

1. You need to install the plugin on your PC browser.
2. You need to install the app from the Market.

Once you have done that and signed in on both devices (it uses your google account) you can send URLs directly from the browser on your PC and your phone will either open them automatically or give you a notification depending on how you have it configured.

Android rocks!
post #43 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-27, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
probably the most important applet to have on our capped data plans:
-data counter widget(shows wifi usage and cellular data usage)
-3G Watchdog(same as above but does not show wifi data, so i am not sure if its monitoring "all" data or just 3g data?)

im testing both out for the month and see how they work out at the end.
I use Call Meter NG and it works pretty well for keeping track of call minutes, texts and 3g data. A little off on the 3g data side, says I use more than I actually do, but not to shabby none the less.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #44 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-28, 07:03 PM
Veteran

Goggles is a neat application, not sure if its provided on all android phones by default or just the nexus one.
It's available from google for free, regardless.

You snap a photo of something (e.g. the QR codes mentioned above) and it scans the image for key components and gives you search results.

So it's like a barcode-scanner app, that does so much more.
E.g. snap a photo of the logo from Price Chopper (the closest receipt I have) and it will give you search results, including a link to the flyer, etc.
post #45 of 102 (permalink) Old 2010-08-30, 12:40 AM
Veteran

I installed Goggles a few days ago and agree it's a neat app. I have found a few things it didn't know what they were, but I presume over time it'll get better and better.

If you use the default Android browser, BookmarkSB Pro is one I'd recommend (helps re-organize your bookmarks). This is something that should have been built-in, IMO, but the app works well enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in