iPhone 4: Hold it with your right hand. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

iPhone 4: Hold it with your right hand.

"Apple have created a phone that has an antenna on the bottom left-hand side of the phone. This means that when you hold it in your left hand, the signal bars slowly fade until there is no signal," he wrote.

and

Quote:
One video had an American user running a speed test, with hands on and hands free.
In it, the user 'awington' says that, while holding the phone "it won't even run the test when I am holding the phone... once I let go, it makes a connection and runs the test.
I guess everyone at Apple is right handed.

Interestingly, I am right handed but always hold it in my left hand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 03:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Interestingly, I am right handed but always hold it in my left hand.
+1

Where was the antenna previously on the 3G/S?

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 04:00 PM

on 3G/3GS the antenna was always internal within the plastic casing.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 09:59 PM

In fact the antenna, or more accurately, antennae, run all the way around the phone. There are some deconstruction videos (on the Apple site I think I saw them) explaining this. Each antenna serves different purposes. Maybe it depends on which country you are in and who your carrier is which hand to hold it in. LOL

I chatter on other sites, there is speculation there is a software glitch in iOS4, since this antennae "problem" didn't seem to occur in v3.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 11:20 PM
Veteran

Wouldn't it actually make sense for right-handed people to hold their phone with the left hand? That way if you had to write a note or anything, you'd be using your writing hand to do so.

Can't really see how this particular thing would be a software issue, as touching an antenna can easily cause variances in reception on any device. It's the fact the iPhone 4 has an antenna on the outside of the phone that makes this case different. Oh well, just means I'll use a carrying case with it if I happen to order one.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 07:50 AM

+2

I've never been a 1 handed iPhone user. I always hold it in my left hand and use my right hand to navigate.

I've tried holding it in my right hand and using my right thumb to get around, but I don't like it.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Jobs calls it a "non-issue."

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," read an official Apple statement on Thursday.

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 11:05 AM
Veteran

I've loved every Apple device I've owned but this type of typical response from Apple/Jobs drives me crazy.

It's great that most of their stuff just works but they need to be better at reacting to things that don't do so well.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 02:05 PM
Digital Sage

If Apple isn't careful on this one it could bite them hard.

Soon people will be complaining about low signal strength for every reason and it could snowball.

Android rocks!
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 04:09 PM

Apple's response to this issue is a huge joke. Sure phones antunate signal depending on how you hold the phone, but this is clearly a design issue. They chose form over function, which is great for art but this is a smart phone.

iPhone 4 is at the bottom of my list for what will replace my iPhone 3G in the next few months. Motorola, please deliver.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

After every new release we have some grumpy folks.

Does anyone have a sense, is this a real significant problem or a tempest in a teapot?

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 05:04 PM

This is just one blog and its readers issues. 48 updates!

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...e-antenna-band

Seems like a widespread and reproducible problem.

The videos with people 'turning off' data by touching the metal band is quite amusing.

I hold my phone like that very often when using data.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-26, 12:19 AM

Take it for what it is, but Consumer Reports is saying they can't reproduce the problem.

Panasonic TH50PX77, *Choice 530, Samsung 40C650, Sharp LC3742U, *Choice 505, Pioneer VSX-D409, Xbox 360, PS3 x 2
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 08:22 PM
Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../2/_GqUG-_Daek

Not sure if this is old news, but this guy has managed to replicate the problem a few times..

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

Last edited by TKG26; 2010-06-28 at 08:22 PM. Reason: trying to insert youtube
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 08:43 PM
Veteran

Even the people at TWiT were able to reproduce the problem live on the very first shot. How could CR even make such an outlandish and inaccurate statement?

Maybe they're not holding it right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in