Nexus One and IPv6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Nexus One and IPv6

I received my Nexus One today and have been starting to learn how to use it. I have it working via WiFi, but haven't plugged my SIM into it yet. Android, the operating system in the N1 works with IPv6 and I can connect to IPv6 sites with it, when using my home WiFi. However, I'm curious if IPv6 is available on any of the cell networks (I'm on Rogers). The way to test this is to try to go to ipv6.google.com. If you can get to that site, you have IPv6 available. I have heard that Telus is working making IPv6 available, but haven't heard anything from the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 12:15 AM
Veteran

No ipv6 with WIND on the Nexus One.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
I suspected as much with Wind, as I didn't see any evidence of IPv6 when I was doing some work for them last fall. I found that surprising, as you'd expect a new company, without any existing plant to go with the new tech. When they start running LTE, they'll be needing IPv6 to support voice over IP for all those phones. It's amazing the amount of apathy in the industry about IPv6, considering all IPv4 address blocks will likely be exhausted within 1.5 years.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 09:49 AM
Digital Sage

No joy going to that URL from my Nexus One on Rogers 3G.

Android rocks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-25, 05:12 PM

I know a Telus tech, and he said their new network with Bell is '4G ready' and they will just need to push out software or change some settings to get it going.

I really doubt WIND went with old tech, they are just limiting the network features to keep the simple perhaps.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-29, 03:50 PM
Rookie

There is a lot of reasons the industry is apathetic to ipv6. Probably the foremost is the RoI. General public doesn't know or care what IPv6 can do for them. Hence they won't be likely to pay more for it. If they won't pay, why do it?

Unfortunately the "all IPv4 address blocks will likely be exhausted within 1.5 years" doesn't hold much water either, considering that most cell phone providers these days do not give a public IP to their customers. This solution is most preferable to them, due to public apathy. Average Joe, Dick or Harry doesn't care much beyond being able to access Google on their mobile phone, check email, and maybe download few songs.

Private network IP also helps cover up any sort of security holes in their mobile devices (windows mobiles mostly) since if their device isn't publicly accessible from outside - the risk is lower that someone can hack into it. Natural barrier that is a NAT router also prevents the phones from becoming servers - something mobile networks do not want to see.

This is all in addition to the headaches of having to support of IPV6 in addition to IPV4. I might be wrong here - but I doubt a lot of phones on the market even support IPV6 stack. The ones running android probably do (given that ipv6 is part of linux kernel). But windows ones?

I am on Wind using Nexus one, and the IP my phone has is on a 10.*.*.* network with a gateway being the only one that has to have a public IP.

My guess is, unless there is a lot more content available only in IPV6, the public will have no reason to want it, and the providers have no reason to offer it. Lack of IPV4 addresses is solved in other, cheaper, more backward-compatible ways than tearing existing infrastructure out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-29, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Android certainly supports IPv6 and I believe the iPhone will with an update. I have no idea about Windows mobile, but Windows XP & later support it. Sooner or later, even if users can get by with NAT, servers will have to start using IPv6. Also, a lot of the promised features in appliance etc. will require real addresses, servers or not. That cannot be practically done with NAT. While NAT temporarily relieved the address shortage, it did so by violating IP specs and breaking some apps. Also, as I mentioned earlier, Telus is getting ready for IPv6. How long will the other companies sit by, when Telus can provide the benefits of IPv6? Verizon (IIRC), in the U.S. is also supporting it. Also, LTE (the next generation of cell phone) will pretty much require IPv6, as they'll use voice over IP and there's no way all those addresses can be provided by IPv4.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-29, 08:25 PM
Veteran

The main thing is that current customers don't really have a need/use for IPv6. You mention that the LTE network will almost require it, so when that network launches (and the new phones come out), then it would make sense to transition over to it.

I don't really understand the benefit for consumers to switch to IPv6 right now (even on their home Internet connections). Yes, I realize IPv4 addresses are going to run out, but is the average consumer going to even notice on an existing network?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-29, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

There are two sides to this, the users and the servers. When servers can only get IPv6 addresses, those stuck on IPv4 networks won't be able to reach them. As it is, IPv6 is in common use in Asia, where they don't have anywhere near enough IPv4 addresses. Right now, anyone running a resonably recent operating system can run IPv6, as it's been supported in Linux, Windows & Mac for years. Even if your ISP doesn't yet support it, you can still get IPv6 addresses by using tunnel broker. I use one and have an address block that's a trillion times the size of the entire IPv4 internet (2^72 addresses).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in