Grocery App for Android that Sync's with PC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Grocery App for Android that Sync's with PC

I'm looking for a grocery app that's synced to a PC. I'm currently testing Grocery IQ, but it doesn't appear that it actually sync's with a PC in any way (as far as I can tell). You can email the list to another smarthphone, they can edit it, and send it back, but that's not of interest to me.

I'd like to be able to add items to a grocery list from either the PC (web based or whatever), or add them through my phone (Nexus One), and after syncing, they'll show the same list.

My wife doesn't want to have to chase down her phone every time she realizes she runs out of something in the kitchen, but we have a computer "kiosk" (funny - never thought I'd say that), right next to our kitchen. It would be great if she could simply add it to whichever media is most convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 04:50 PM

I'm not aware of any grocery apps with sync capability. However, have you considered using something like Dropbox that will sync any file from your Android phone to your PC and vice versa? You could write the grocery list in excel or something.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 05:55 PM
Veteran

Can't you just use a task list in Google calendar? That way it is auto synced for you.

(Written from my Nexus One!)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-20, 06:41 PM
Veteran

Another popular task list app that will sync between your phone and your pc is Astrid - a free app from the marketplace.

I have tried a few and just ended up using google tasks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-20, 10:32 PM

you should be able to do that with Evernote.

------------- < cliped from CNET to the Rescue: Reminders and to-do lists podcast http://www.cnet.com/8301-31361_1-200...ag=mncol;title > -----------

Episode 3: Reminders and to-do lists
Our favorite to-do list and reminder apps:
Evernote and Onenote for "capturing your brain."

To-do lists:
RememberTheMilk
Things
Shifd
GoogleCal
GMail Tasks
New: Producteev

For groceries:

Ziplist
AllOutOf
Epicurious

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

So it appears there's many apps like Google Tasks, or Evernote that allow you to take notes that will sync between the PC and the mobile device. But a real grocery app, like Grocery IQ or others, allows you to have a master list of the things you frequently buy, and then when creating your weekly grocery list, you just pull things off your favourites list. Also, you can specify certain items you buy specifically at certain stores.

I like everything about Grocery IQ, except that it doesn't have a sync'ing option. The list has to be entered via the mobile device. If you're in the kitchen, when you run out of flour while baking something, you don't want to go on a man hunt to find your phone simply to enter this item in your list. We've got a computer right there next to the kitchen where this could easily be typed in.

I guess I'm looking for something a little more than a simple "To Do" list utility that can sync. I'm suprised that there isn't a grocery app out there that already has PC synd built in.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 01:21 PM
Veteran

I think you can do what you want with virtually any of the task managers. You can create multiple lists, move and/or copy items between lists, and they all sync between mobile and PC. Perhaps not quite as easily as your GroceryIQ, but really only a couple of extra button pushes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 11:07 AM

Thumbs up

Here is an easy-to-use and very flexible note-taking duo-

3Banana/Snaptic:

http://snaptic.com/about_/

It synchronizes both ways, so you can edit a list on your mobile or handheld device (3Banana), and it will show up on the Web site (Snaptic), and vice-versa.

It is based on "labels", similar to Evernote's "tags". But it is very much easier to use than Evernote, in my opinion.

- Jeff
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-07-04, 08:12 AM

Our Groceries

Our Groceries, by Headcode, is on the Android Market, and it syncs with a Web page...

- Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in