iPhone 4 Announced - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 10:48 AM

I see that TELUS has the new iPhone 4 banner up on their mobility site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 11:48 AM

Quote:
doh! I mean 500 MB. duh! duh! duh! doh!
Unless you stream a lot of internet radio or watch YouTube frequently on your smartphone, 500MB will be more than enough. You'll notice the iPhone uses more data then your blackberry even when using similar applications because BlackBerry data is compressed. 99% of Rogers customers use 300MB or less a month on average. Until I started streaming online radio for hours a day I would use less than 200MB a month and my iPhone is almost always in my hand.
post #48 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Hilman: I see that TELUS has the new iPhone 4 banner up on their mobility site. Here is the info webpage about the new iPhonr.

Yeah it been up for days on Bell`s site as well

post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 12:39 PM
Veteran

WetCardBoard, thank you for the info.

I guess if Rogers finally decided to roll out the $15 250MB plan, I'll take that with my iPhone. I never watch any video (even at home) and I only frequent forums and news sites.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #50 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 03:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCardboard View Post
99% of Rogers customers use 300MB or less a month on average.
I highly doubt these numbers. Did Rogers say that?
post #51 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-11, 11:41 PM
Veteran

can anybody confirm that there will definitely be 250 MB $15 dataplan for iPhone?

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #52 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-12, 01:11 PM

David, I haven't heard anything about a $15/250 MB plan for the new (or old) iPhone. Perhaps you're mixing iPhone and iPad?

That just gave me an idea! What would stop an iPhone user on a "Pay 'n Talk" account from buying an iPad data plan and swapping the SIM card, etc? Could that actually work?
post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-14, 01:47 PM

Quote:
99% of Rogers customers use 300MB or less a month on average.
do you have a source for these statistics WetCardboard?
post #54 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-14, 06:00 PM

Does anyone know if Rogers will be offering a non-contract price? My work pays for my cell plan so I'd like a phone sans contract, even at ~$700. How long after the 3GS launch did it take for Rogers to offer a non-contract (but still locked to Rogers) price? Or was it right at launch perhaps?

Tom
post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 10:31 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslow Panaflex View Post
That just gave me an idea! What would stop an iPhone user on a "Pay 'n Talk" account from buying an iPad data plan and swapping the SIM card, etc? Could that actually work?
Apparently not. Even Apple's own FAQ indicates the micro SIMs of the iPad and the new iPhone are not interchangeable.
post #56 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if Rogers will be offering a non-contract price? My work pays for my cell plan so I'd like a phone sans contract, even at ~$700. How long after the 3GS launch did it take for Rogers to offer a non-contract (but still locked to Rogers) price? Or was it right at launch perhaps?
Rogers may be, but Apple definitely is. No pricing has been announced, but if you go to apple.ca/store, you can see that they will be selling the phone unlocked.

Panasonic 42PZ85 + Eastlink - iPhone 4 32gb - MacBook Pro 15.4 Hi-Res 2.2 i7 8gb 500gb + iMac 27 3.4 i7 12gb 1tb
post #57 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 11:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Apparently not. Even Apple's own FAQ indicates the micro SIMs of the iPad and the new iPhone are not interchangeable.
They are interchangeable, since they are physically the same, but the microSIM from the iPad obviously has no voice plan subscribed to it, therefore you can't use it on the iPhone for cellular voice calls. As for the other way round - I don't know, it should probably be possible (you won't be able to make cellular voice calss with the iPad, of course). Anyway, we'll find out soon.
post #58 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 01:45 PM
Veteran

by using microSIM, that means I have to cough up another $20 or so to Rogers to buy another SIM?

post #59 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Maybe not. It is possible to trim down a standard size SIM to micro SIM dimensions. You just have to be very, very careful. http://www.9to5mac.com/micro-som-iph...sion-365465756

As for swapping micro SIMs between an iPad and an iPhone 4G, I'll check it out. It's not impossible for that particular issue to be more than a simple account issue.

EDIT: We may have to wait until someone with a 3G iPad actually tries their micro SIM in an iPhone 4 and vice-versa. The information that's currently out there is highly inconsistent.

From Apple's FAQ:

Quote:
Are iPhone 4 and iPad micro-SIM cards interchangeable?

No. Your iPad micro-SIM card will not work with your iPhone.
But technically, it's the exact same card with the exact same circuitry. So who knows how the thing will behave.
post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-17, 03:48 PM

iPhone 4 confirmed to have 512MB RAM

Many people may not really care about a spec like that, but there's been curiosity regarding specs like the cpu speed and amount of RAM. Confirmed now though that it does have 512MB, double the RAM of the 3GS and iPad (256MB).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in