iPhone 4 Announced - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 11:03 AM

Of course they'd delay it - because I am finally getting one :P I was waiting for Virgin to finally get the iPhone .. and that happened, but since that didn't happen til February, and I was gone for 6 weeks afterwards, I decided I might as well wait a few more months for the new iPhone. (I admit - the gizmodo leak also swayed my decision) Hopefully we have an official announcement soon of when the new one is being released in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 02:09 PM
Rookie

I hope Rogers has the upgrade like they did last year where if you got the 3G in 08' you could still upgrade to the 3GS in 09', I am really hoping they make this exception to their normal smartphone upgrade policy again.
post #33 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 07:46 PM

So why would anyone buy the $99 last generation 3GS when for $100 more they could get the newest tech?

Considering you would be on a minimum $40/month plan for 36 months (assuming you don't buy outright), does $100 really make that much of a difference?

(p.s. my wife and i are each planning on getting one and going on Bell's share program)

Panasonic TH50PX77, *Choice 530, Samsung 40C650, Sharp LC3742U, *Choice 505, Pioneer VSX-D409, Xbox 360, PS3 x 2

post #34 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 09:09 PM
Veteran

A $100 difference is still a $100 difference (in this case, it's double the price). There are quite a few people who don't look at the overall cost over a 3-year contract and will simply go with the cheapest option no matter what.
post #35 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 11:21 PM

The logic of going for the cheaper one makes no sense to me also lol Both my bro and sis-in-law have the 8GB 3G ... and one of those they only got this year. I'd much rather spend the extra $100 for the current gen. In the case of the iPhone 4 I might even spring for the 32GB one. (although, I'm doing fine right now with space on a 16GB iPod touch)
post #36 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 11:50 PM
Veteran

Take note, the more technically knowledgeable people will know (and appreciate) the difference - but we are hardly in the majority when it comes to purchasing these things. An average person may not care about FaceTime or a better display, for example.
post #37 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 12:14 AM
Veteran

More on FaceTime

I noticed while watching the Keynote speech today that FaceTime isn't just for regular old phone calls...SIP is also supported. No doubt next-gen iPads will have forward facing cameras and will become really great communication appliances. I can really see an open source project like this truly making communications "path" agnostic.
post #38 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Rogers doesn't have a 4G network - HSPA+ is still 3G. LTE would be considered a 4G network, but AFAIK, no provider up here has that (and given that AT&T hasn't rolled it out either, a 4G iPhone isn't in the cards yet.
Bell is suppost to have the underlying hardware for LTE. They put in thier new HSPA network with future proofing - so I was told.

Cheers
post #39 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 02:12 PM

I didn't read all the posts in this thread but what is the underlying issue of releasing the phone a month later in Canada? Some people say Canada isnt on Apples priority list but does it have anything to do with Sasktel and MTS not ready to launch their HSPA networks until late July? Which would mean no one in Canada can launch the device earlier than anyone else...or no one would pay Apple extra to have exclusivity for a month.

A couple concerns I have with the phone:

-Aspect Ratio of the screen is still the same (1.5:1), so the "HD" videos you shoot (720p) are going to be in this aspect ratio? Or will they be recorded in a standard HD aspect ratio (1.78:1).

-Network specs aren't up on the Apple website, but I'm assuming this phone is only 3.5G (7.2Mbps, same as the 3GS)?

Thanks.
post #40 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 03:20 PM

No one really knows exactly why Canada isn't included on the initial list. I did hear one good guess being that maybe Apple didn't want to release it so close to the launch of the iPad. only Apple knows why I guess..

I would think that the aspect ratio of the iPhone wont really change for a long time, its one of the key things for apps to stay proper looking, and for me, evern more importantly is the screen is wider in portrait mode compared to some of the larger android screen phones and definitely helps when typing! I'm not sure however what aspect ratio HD videos will record in, but i'd assume its going to be 16:9.

For its cellular connection it is still 7.2mbps (like you mentioned) for the downlink and 5.8mbps for the uplink.
post #41 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 08:20 PM
Veteran

Like I posted a few posts back I seriously think it's because of our 36-month contracts plus Bell/Telus only getting it in the fall. So most Canadian's who want an iPhone already have one and most of them are far away from upgrade eligibility. The USA, UK, and Germany are in different situations and consumers there are more likely to adopt them sooner.

Apple will have their hands full with supply and support issues so if they can take one very small market off the table to begin with then that's one less thing for them to worry about.

As far as it being "too close the launch of the iPad" - well the iPad released on the same day as us for the UK and Germany and the other countries that are getting the iPhone on launch day.
post #42 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 08:46 PM

Yeah, thats true about the iPad. I don't think its because of 3 year contracts. If they're worried about people not being eligible, then what does one more month really make? Anyway, Rogers has had promotions for both iPhone launches before, including early upgrades.

It may simply come down to logistics and Apple has chosen a few countries from around the world for initial launch.
post #43 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 10:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prufrock View Post
So why would anyone buy the $99 last generation 3GS when for $100 more they could get the newest tech?

Considering you would be on a minimum $40/month plan for 36 months (assuming you don't buy outright), does $100 really make that much of a difference?

(p.s. my wife and i are each planning on getting one and going on Bell's share program)
I have to agree. Considering the amount of $$ spent each month on the plan, what's another $100 to get newer and (arguably, but IMO) a much better phone?

Regarding "getting used to" iPhone typing, I've been typing using my iTouch since the 1st gen was released (in fact I've just bought a 64GB iTouch back in April 2010 which I'm going to sell once I get my iPhone 4G). If I only use English (or any ONE language) then it's fine because if I mistype, the spell check will fix it for me.

However, I write in 3 different languages and some terms are not available in the other 2 languages so I have to mix the other language with English. This doesn't work at all for me.

Funny thing, however, my Motorola RAZR (original 1st gen RAZR) intelligent predictive text input works better than any of the iTouch spell-check system.

Regardless, iPhone 4G supposedly supports BT keyboard so when I'm home, I can use a BT keyboard for writing e-mail.

The question now, will 500 GB enough? (any input is appreciated). I mostly use my current Blackberry 9000 for e-mail and IM (MSN and Yahoo) and read digitalhome.ca, avsforum.com, howardforums.com, highdefdigest.com, engadget (HD, Classic and Mobile), and facebook. I'm 80% at home or at the office (so I use wifi connection) and at the most browse/IM/Emailing no more than 1 hour a day on average.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #44 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 10:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The question now, will 500 GB enough?
I'm pretty sure 500GB will more than enough

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #45 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 10:21 PM
Veteran

doh! I mean 500 MB. duh! duh! duh! doh!

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in