iPhone 4 Announced - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 08:30 PM
Veteran

I seriously think Canada is not in the initial release because of our three year contracts. With every major carrier selling the 3gs and bellus only in the last half a year it means too many customers locked into contract with no chance of getting out of it. Hence Canada is a small volume county so why not push us off to July or heck even September!

Basing that on the idea that most sales will be upgrades for existing customers. In any of the major countries I think most people who really wanted an iPhone already has one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 08:54 PM

Interesting that while they increased the resolution they slightly reduced the screen size.

Not sure that it really matters, but interesting.

Android rocks!
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
I seriously think Canada is not in the initial release because of our three year contracts
I doubt that. If they expect Canada to have minimum incremental sales, then it would have been easier to roll out Canada at the same time.

post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
No carrier-supplied phone is unlocked - that's just the nature of North American cellular devices. Doubt it would happen anytime soon, as all North American carriers would probably object at this (and opt to not sell the iPhone).
Not entirely true, it's just very rare. Mobilicity's Sony Ericsson TM506 is an example of a carrier branded phone sold factory unlocked.

The iPhone 4 looks impressive, I particularly like the antenna built into the phone's frame, but it wasn't quite the game changer I had hoped for. I was kind of hoping Apple would work their magic to make the battery significantly better (rather than the moderate boost it's getting).
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 09:08 PM
Veteran

It does appear the screen is slightly smaller on the iPhone 4, even though the bezel (at least on the bottom) is noticeably larger.
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 09:09 PM
Veteran

This may be a stupid question... but is it worth for me switching to iPhone? I'm currently a Blackberry user and getting more and more tired with the slowness of its browsing (in)capability. In beginning it was tolerable, but now it's feels like poking my eye with a dull stick.

On the other hand, typing on the iPhone (I own 3 generations of iTouch) is also driving me batty.

What to do... what to do....

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 09:33 PM

Since the screen is slightly smaller, typing will be worse than on the Touch or iPhone 3GS, unless you put your fingers on a diet.

Android rocks!
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 09:36 PM
Veteran

yikes. and I already have problems will all generations of my iTouch.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 10:15 PM
Veteran

I was really hoping it would be 4G capable to take advantage of Rogers slowly growing 4G network.

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Typing on the iPhone is not a huge joy. I often hit the wrong keys and I don't have huge fingers. Teh only saving grace is I don't do a lot of typing on the iPhone.

Having said that, I love my iPhone and highly recommend it everyone.

To date, my biggest complaint about the iPhone was battery life but Apple seems to have improved that significantly this time around so now I am sad that I have to wait two years before my contract is up!

post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 10:33 PM

Screen size is still the same!

Not sure why you guys are thinking the screen is smaller? Still the same 3.5"

I have to say, there is a learning curve, but I love typing on the iPhone. I can fly while typing actually. I could definitely understand if someone doesn't enjoy it though.

One good thing too, although the screen is 3.5", smaller than a lot of new HTC's at 3.7 or new Sony Ericsson at 4.0, the aspect ratio keeps the iPhone screen just as wide or wider, making typing very good in portrait mode.
post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-07, 10:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteosome View Post
I was really hoping it would be 4G capable to take advantage of Rogers slowly growing 4G network.
Rogers doesn't have a 4G network - HSPA+ is still 3G. LTE would be considered a 4G network, but AFAIK, no provider up here has that (and given that AT&T hasn't rolled it out either, a 4G iPhone isn't in the cards yet.
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 01:14 AM

I was hoping that the iPhone 4 would have HSPA+ (21 Mbps) but it's not that big of a deal. LTE is probably a year away at least. I don't think Verizon's getting the iPhone until they roll out LTE and Apple can get LTE chipsets.

I was really hoping to get it in a week or two though, so am pretty disappointed that Canada has to wait for round two. Might be 6 weeks away. I'll just have to suffer with my 3G, and crippled iOS 4.

Now I only hope that Rogers will allow those of us 2 years into our 3 year sentence to do an early upgrade, like they did last year. Glad I didn't bite on the 3GS at the time.

It still sucks that all the Canadian contracts are 3 years vs. 2 in the USA.

Three PVRs and counting! Motorola DCX3400, 6412 and 3080 on Shaw.
post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 06:52 AM

Many people who rushed to buy their 3G iphone on Canada's release date was July 11, 2008. So, that marks a 2 year anniversary next month. As far as I know, Rogers allows you to upgrade a smartphone after 2 years of a 3 year contract. Personally, I don't care much about the contract since I have a good retention plan, but the fact that I can upgrade regularly is more important.

Perhaps the cause for the delay in this country is that June 24th is a Holiday in Quebec and they didn't want to upset them since many stores would be closed over there.
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you guys are thinking the screen is smaller? Still the same 3.5"
My mistake, I thought the 3GS was 3.7". Too many phones kicking around these days.

Android rocks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in