Best Android Phone in Canada right now? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctnguy View Post
Yeah it'd be google maps most likely. Unless there's an app that would let me preload the maps.
I haven't really tried to figure out what I use up the 20 MB on - I typically get the day pass when I'm on the road and I do check Google Maps from time to time to get oriented, but I don't use it for turn by turn directions, which I suspect would burn up your 20 MB pretty quickly (though not as quick as tethering )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 07:38 PM
Veteran

Depending on how many maps you look at, 20mb should be fine.
I used GPS/maps for a very short time and it was about 5MB total
This was just the downtown area, though.
Had you been loading a lot of maps, or at an extreme zoom level, you might get to 20MB quickly.

Add in emails with pictures, etc and you may blow it.

My N1(2.2) has a navigation app that preloads the route, but if you deviate from what it says and have no data connection, it's done. If only they'd give you an option "calculate alternate routes x levels deep" or something :\

Not that I care at this point. I was in a home zone and had all the 3G data I wanted
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-29, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxtwit View Post
I haven't really tried to figure out what I use up the 20 MB on - I typically get the day pass when I'm on the road and I do check Google Maps from time to time to get oriented, but I don't use it for turn by turn directions, which I suspect would burn up your 20 MB pretty quickly (though not as quick as tethering )
Unless you're driving cross country, 20MB should be way more than you need. I've used the turn by turn GPS to go across the city and back with several stops (maybe 30-40 km) and I used 5700 KB of data for the whole day (ie not just maps/nav)

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 12:32 AM

Hey - on this Rogers page, http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...roducts/addons , it talks about a Mobile browsing monthly pass for $10. Is this new or not a data monthly pass like you wished for?

Taxtwit stated:
" Only way things could be better for my needs is if Rogers came out with a data month pass! (Can't really do much tethering with 20MB")
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 01:06 AM
Veteran

Based on the fact they specify "Mobile web" I believe that's just for their normal phones (not smartphones). I know technically a smartphone is mobile, but you're generally getting a much better web experience than you would with a basic phone.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
Hey - on this Rogers page, http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...roducts/addons , it talks about a Mobile browsing monthly pass for $10. Is this new or not a data monthly pass like you wished for?

Taxtwit stated:
" Only way things could be better for my needs is if Rogers came out with a data month pass! (Can't really do much tethering with 20MB")
The $10 mobile browsing pass is just for dumbphones, but as it turns out, Rogers just yesterday added a weekly data pass ($7/125MB) and have opened the door a crack for true PAYG data - see this:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...d-Rocket-Stick
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-06, 12:31 PM

The new HTC Desire is out on TELUS as of today with very decent pricing

No term $449.99
1 year term $399.99
2 year term $349.99
3 year term $79.99

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/h...re/index.shtml
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-06, 05:49 PM

Also looks like the Samsung Galaxy S is now available at Bell

No contract - $499
1 year - $449
2 years - $349
3 years - $149
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-06, 05:52 PM

Just picked up the HTC Desire, amazing phone and is light years ahead of my HTC Hero, the Android 2.1 and HTC Sense UI with the Snapdragon chip is super fast and responsive. So far so good
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yads View Post
Also looks like the Samsung Galaxy S is now available at Bell

No contract - $499
1 year - $449
2 years - $349
3 years - $149
Best Buy has the Samsung Galaxy S for $99.99 with a $75 gift card. That's a pretty dang amazing price.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/08/06/be...-75-gift-card/

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 07:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
the Android 2.1 and HTC Sense UI
My Nexus One, which I bought almost 2 months ago, runs Android 2.2. It has a couple of nice new features, including tethering via both USB & WiFi.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 07:55 AM

How is the N1 with flash 10.1? I've seen a couple videos of it running flash and 2.2 against other high end 2.1 phones and the flash upgrade really seemed to hinder the web browsing speed. With it turned off it looked much faster. I'm more looking forward to the jit compiler.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-07, 11:10 AM

Flash will occasionally cause a little bit of minor stutter when loading a page. It doesn't slow down browsing much though, especially with the browsing speed boost that 2.2 brought.

You can also choose to not install Flash if you don't need it.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimaj View Post
How is the N1 with flash 10.1? I've seen a couple videos of it running flash and 2.2 against other high end 2.1 phones and the flash upgrade really seemed to hinder the web browsing speed. With it turned off it looked much faster. I'm more looking forward to the jit compiler.
There is an option to set flash to be on demand. So by default it doesn't load it and you have to click on placeholder to download the item.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 08:42 PM
Rookie

I have the X10 and love it

I have a 16GB SD card, so it holds a lot of pictures (or music if you want, but I don't use it for that). Aside from the issue with upgrading to OS 2.2, the only problem I initially had with this phone was the lack of battery life. At first it was hard to get through a normal day on one charge. I installed an app called Juice Defender though, and I noticed a huge, huge improvement in battery life. There are both free and paid versions of the app -- if you have the X10 I would highly recommend it. Phone is very snappy overall, browser is very quick. I have not had any problems with the keyboard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in