Best Android Phone in Canada right now? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 11:37 AM
apn

@Bob,

Well, if you're planning on getting a contract, then there are no savings to be had AND paying full price for a phone stings some more.

If this is your first phone, then I'd recommend seriously assessing your needs before commiting to a 3yr plan; those of us that don't yak a lot can save money using the paygo (voice) option. It certainly gets more complicated and expensive if you want/need a data plan, but in my case, wi-fi is OK and I'll eat the (current) $3/day charge in the event a dire need should arise.

Looking at Rogers website, the cheapest voice+data "personal" plan is $50/mo + SAF and other fees; leading to a bill of $60+ per month

A subsidized 32GB 3GS runs $299, adding $60x36 commits you to spending $2,459 over the life of the contract, assuming that you don't exceed voice/data allowances. Buying your own phone in this case probably adds another $300

On the paygo option, I buy the phone @ $600 and spend ~$100 per year on voice/data for a total of $900, thus saving;

- ~$500 per year (for 3yrs) vs. subsidized phone on a post-paid plan.
- ~$600 per year (for 3yrs) vs. full-price phone on a post-paid plan.

FWIW, I learned these painful lessons after getting my wife a Bell 3yr plan only to learn that she used 10-20 minutes a month. That's expensive talk time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 11:48 AM

also if you are a current subscriber to a provider looking into retention deals ( a big thread on rfd for each provider) there are deals to be had.
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 11:50 AM
apn

I took my car in for service this morning and while waiting for a shuttle ride, I picked up a magazine extolling the virtues of the Acer Liquid E handset, featuring Android 2.1

Apparently, this bad boy is available on Rogers for $50 (3yr commit) and features a Snapdragon CPU @ 768MHz (vs. 1GHz for N1), 3.5" LCD, 5Mpix camera, GPS, wi-fi, bluetooth etc. etc. We should be able to find them unlocked.

I've also been looking at the HTC Desire (Android 2.1 on Snapdragon 1GHz, 3.7" AMOLED, 5Mpix cam AND Multi-touch), although not sure if it's available on all the carrier/frequency bands used in North America. Since it's HTC, like the N1, I'd expect a separate 700MHz device might come later.

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 01:03 PM

I was considering the Acer Liquid E and decided against it because of the reduced system memory. Probably not a deal breaker for most people.

Android rocks!
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 01:07 PM
Rookie

@apn

I'm a little curious as to what pay-as-you-go plan you are on that costs a mere $100/year. If you could offer some insight on how to get by so frugally I would love the advice. I seriously hate all the 3yr commitment BS that cell-phone companies force you into.

I would love to get the nexus one but have a hard time justifying it if I have to get a 3yr contract. (P.S. I'm currently a blackberry user on no contract but with no data plan)

Also, you seem to be comparing a "full-fledged" talk/data plan on a 3yr contract vs a "bare-bones" pay-as-you-go which you use wifi to fulfill your browsing needs, which is a bit misleading. Shouldn't you compare the savings on plans that offer similar services.

(I know the thread seemed to fizzle about a month ago. Hopefully some sees this and resurrects it).
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 10:01 AM
apn

I'm using the Rogers paygo option, where a $100 voucher still has a 1yr expiry. Other plans (7-11 etc.) have the same option, but many don't provide US roaming, which I wanted for very occasional use.

I purchased the Nexus One outright (in the US) and simply transferred the SIM card from my SE W810i. I've purposely disabled the use of 3G data for now.

I wasn't trying to mislead, but simply illustrate that those with small voice and data needs don't have to get suckered into a 3yr $$$ commitment to get a nice phone.

As is posted elsewhere, I have the option to pay $3 for 24hrs data (20MB, iirc) if the need arises. However, for me, other than in the car, I seem to have perpetual wi-fi access. The only issue might be on-the-go mapping, but I could purchase an app that stores data on the SD card instead of relying on a data connection.

Overall, I'm delighted with my Nexus One, which to me offers all the benefits of iPhone without the shackles.
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apn View Post
I'm using the Rogers paygo option, where a $100 voucher still has a 1yr expiry. Other plans (7-11 etc.) have the same option, but many don't provide US roaming, which I wanted for very occasional use.

I purchased the Nexus One outright (in the US) and simply transferred the SIM card from my SE W810i. I've purposely disabled the use of 3G data for now.

I wasn't trying to mislead, but simply illustrate that those with small voice and data needs don't have to get suckered into a 3yr $$$ commitment to get a nice phone.

As is posted elsewhere, I have the option to pay $3 for 24hrs data (20MB, iirc) if the need arises. However, for me, other than in the car, I seem to have perpetual wi-fi access. The only issue might be on-the-go mapping, but I could purchase an app that stores data on the SD card instead of relying on a data connection.

Overall, I'm delighted with my Nexus One, which to me offers all the benefits of iPhone without the shackles.
I am curious... Roger's site says that "Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing " doesn't work on smartphones (unless I read it wrong). So would I have to buy a smartphone unlocked and then also take the sim card from a "dumb" phone and use that in the smartphone?

I'd love to have a smartphone where I could just pay $3 per day on the days I need it and use a pay-go plan otherwise.

Thanks for the info!
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctnguy View Post
I am curious... Roger's site says that "Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing " doesn't work on smartphones (unless I read it wrong). So would I have to buy a smartphone unlocked and then also take the sim card from a "dumb" phone and use that in the smartphone?

I'd love to have a smartphone where I could just pay $3 per day on the days I need it and use a pay-go plan otherwise.

Thanks for the info!
You would get a 2G only WAP connection that likely wouldn't work for many of your apps and might not work at all, depending on the phone. If you want a smartphone you can get a data day pass which gets you a certain amount of 3G data for the day.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
You would get a 2G only WAP connection that likely wouldn't work for many of your apps and might not work at all, depending on the phone. If you want a smartphone you can get a data day pass which gets you a certain amount of 3G data for the day.
So I could acquire an android phone somewhere and sign up for a pay-go plan, and just use the day pass for data when I need it?
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 06:20 PM

That is exactly what I did - I got a unlocked Nexus One, got a Rogers PAYG simcard, paid for a $100 voucher that doesn't expire for a year (before which I'll top up to extend the expiration date) and I buy a $2.99 data day pass whenever I'm on the road and outside of WIFI coverage. Only way things could be better for my needs is if Rogers came out with a data month pass! (Can't really do much tethering with 20MB )
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxtwit View Post
That is exactly what I did - I got a unlocked Nexus One, got a Rogers PAYG simcard, paid for a $100 voucher that doesn't expire for a year (before which I'll top up to extend the expiration date) and I buy a $2.99 data day pass whenever I'm on the road and outside of WIFI coverage. Only way things could be better for my needs is if Rogers came out with a data month pass! (Can't really do much tethering with 20MB )
Is the 20 MB sufficient for the occasional GPS usage along with a few Google searches and a few web hits?
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 07:31 PM
Veteran

Depends on how your GPS works. Preloaded maps? Or is it google maps that needs to download on the fly?
Should be fine with preloaded, but if you need to download maps because of a route deviation, you may need more. (depends on how big an area you're covering)
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recneps77 View Post
Depends on how your GPS works. Preloaded maps? Or is it google maps that needs to download on the fly?
Should be fine with preloaded, but if you need to download maps because of a route deviation, you may need more. (depends on how big an area you're covering)
Yeah it'd be google maps most likely. Unless there's an app that would let me preload the maps.
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctnguy View Post
Yeah it'd be google maps most likely. Unless there's an app that would let me preload the maps.
There are navigation apps, but they're not free. Google Maps, typically uses a couple of megs per trip in the city in my experience.
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 12:37 PM

MapDroyd has offline maps but I don't think it has navigation.

Android rocks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in