Best Android Phone in Canada right now? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 04:22 PM

The one really big plus to get the Nexus One is that you'll have the latest Android o/s version until the hardware become incapable of running it.

I get a little hot under the collar when cellular company don't provide timely updates to the o/s, it makes no sense to me.

My ISP doesn't stop me from updating the o/s on my computer why should my cellular provider. Imagine that world for a minute!

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Your ISP doesn't provide the computer, nor does it provide an OS to begin with.

You can run an unofficial rom version on several Android phones, just that the carrier won't support it if there are any issues (which makes sense if they haven't validated it yet).
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 04:07 AM

We're off the rails a little bit but there are instances were ISPs have provided computers to users under the same 'rent to own' conditions that mobile providers due. You can currently get a 'free' netbook from Rogers with the purchase of a mobile data stick at FutureShop. My guess is that Rogers doesn't stop you from tinkering with the o/s on that netbook.

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-04, 02:51 PM

Maybe, but I bet Rogers won't support it if you do, just like you're free to use a custom ROM on your phone.

I still think smartphone OS updates should be on the manufacturer though, but then I hate branded phones and carrier modded firmware.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-06, 10:12 AM

Quote:
According to the DHL shipping status, my Nexus One is in town. If I'm lucky I'll have it running tonight.
Where did you purchase your Nexus One? ... and for how much? Tht is, I do see pricey N1s at ********, and even well=priced N1s at PureMobile.ca ... but I'm skeptical about purchasing from either.

TIA
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-06, 10:19 AM

I ordered mine directly from Google. www.google.com/phone.

Once I had the phone charged I immediately unlocked and rooted it. I'm running the standard Google F/W right now but will be testing a SenseUI version shortly.

The phone is very nice BTW.

Android rocks!
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-06, 11:18 AM

I thought the Nexus One shipped unlocked, ie not tied to a carrier, and that you had to purchase a SIM card from your carry to use it as a phone. Is that not the case?

post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-06, 11:20 AM

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I unlocked the bootloader.

It does in fact ship unlocked as far as carriers are concerned.

Android rocks!
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-06, 11:20 AM

The word is that Bell is releasing the HTC Legend mid-June. HTC makes the best Android hardware out there, and this one seems to be the best in Canada for the moment.

http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/b...nd-on-june-16/
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-06, 11:21 AM

Unfortunately the Legend is the older CPU and low res screen.

Android rocks!
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

I am so disappointed by the Android selection in Canada.

No way am I going to pa $$$ for an unsubsidized phone. Can't believe the N1 still isn't available as a subsidized phone in Canada. They are going to announce the N2 in 6 months time.

I dislike Apple but at this point I think I may end up buying an iPhone 4 -- they will be in Canada by July.

I was hoping to activate 2 new phones 2 months ago.. still can't find an Android running 2.1 with decent hardware and multitouch.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 07:26 AM
apn

I hear you, Bob.

I'm close to pushing the button on an N1 purchase (shipped to NYC, so no cdn taxes), but also checking the bleak competitive landscape. Samsung's Galaxy S (supposedly available in July) looks like the bomb with its 4" AMOLED screen. However, it's a perpetual race and there's always something better on the horizon.

I'm curious, do you have a source for the N2 comment, or is that your speculation?

Also, Apple promised iPhone 4 by the end of July; that's a big IF based on what happened with iPad; delayed in Canada because of high US demand.

If you're already on a post-paid plan, then I understand why you want a subsidized phone, but those of us not locked into such contracts will save $$$ (perhaps $50 x 36 months) by purchasing the phone outright.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Hi apn,

My comment regarding the N2 being released is speculation. I recall reading from a number of sources that they will announce the N2 "next year" after they announced the N1 in January. I also recall the mention of the N2 being more enterprise based. If you google the N2 you get a lot of speculation posts about Motorola creating the N2. Nothing concrete. Sorry.

I do not have a cellphone at this point. I am looking at activating a plan. Assuming i am reading your post correctly, this sentence intrigued me:

"If you're already on a post-paid plan, then I understand why you want a subsidized phone, but those of us not locked into such contracts will save $$$ (perhaps $50 x 36 months) by purchasing the phone outright."

I am not locked into a plan. How do you save money outright by buying a phone ($550) up front first and then paying the same monthly rates as a subsidized phone?
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 11:20 AM

"I am so disappointed by the Android selection in Canada."
I also need to replace two phones in my house and I feel the same way.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 2010-06-10, 11:33 AM
Veteran

I just ordered the Nexus One yesterday. Like apn said, there is always something with better specs ready to come out, so if you keep waiting you will never get anything in the tech world.

At any rate, as much as I like the look of the Galaxy S, I doubt it will be available unlocked, and that is a requirement for me to save money on the contracts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in