Samsung Galaxy S or HTC EVO 4G - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-01, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Samsung Galaxy S or HTC EVO 4G

Which do you think is the better phone?...will we see either of these phones in Canada?

Samsung Galaxy S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kCdF6wrNYk&hd=1&hd=1

HTC EVO 4G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUD3UWTCXE&hd=1&hd=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-01, 08:15 PM
Veteran

Almost a guarantee we won't see the HTC EVO 4G since there is no network up here that would support it.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-01, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Almost a guarantee we won't see the HTC EVO 4G since there is no network up here that would support it.
Really? I thought Bell supported 4G? I never owned a cellphone before and I am thinking of getting one...I'm not very knowledgeable though.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-01, 08:41 PM
Veteran

The EVO 4G is using a technology called "WiMax" which is different from LTE (which I believe is the long-term goal of Rogers/Telus/Bell).

HSPA is considered 3G (technically 3.5G, but the whole rating scheme is not entirely accurate to begin with).
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-01, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Do you think we will get the Samsung Galaxy S?...If not then I guess I will have to see what the new Iphone has to offer.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-01, 11:32 PM
Veteran

If we do, I'm guessing it will be Telus that gets that handset instead of Bell. For some reason, Bell hasn't really jumped on the Android bandwagon much at all, and I haven't heard news stating this is changing anytime soon.

Anything can happen, but right now it's hard to say what devices each carrier is likely to get. Even Rogers has been silent on the Android front lately - which is surprising, since they were the first with an Android device. Granted, after the fiasco with the 911 issues with (I think) the HTC Magic, perhaps it's something they are going to research and test out just a little more thoroughly first.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-02, 10:35 AM

bell hasn't gotten any new phones recently other then the BB storm 2 .

maybe there waiting for a big release?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-02, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Which do you think is the better phone?...will we see either of these phones in Canada?
Given that it'll be a long time before Canada will offer 4G or anything like it, the Samsung is probably better compared to the HTC Nexus One or Desire. On paper anyway, the Samsung beats these with faster HSUPA (5.8Mb/s v 2), higher res video, and especially its Super AMOLED display. But, that's on paper, and there's been no real review of the Galaxy S yet (... except the previews which rank the display much better than anything else on the market). The Samsung looks to be released about the same time as the iPhone HD, both of which I'm waiting for to read real reviews, as well to know how they'll be marketed.

As to when we'll see the Samsung in Canada ... your guess is as good as mine, but I'm not holding my breath ... I'll be hoping to find one unlocked ...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-02, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The Samsung looks to be released about the same time as the iPhone HD, both of which I'm waiting for to read real reviews, as well to know how they'll be marketed.
Same here,that Super Amoled screen does look awesome though.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-03, 09:52 AM

The HTC Evo does have cdma/evdo as well. I guess Bell or Telus could carry this phone.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-03, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profets View Post
The HTC Evo does have cdma/evdo as well. I guess Bell or Telus could carry this phone.
That would technically just make it the "HTC Evo" right? I'd rather see an HSPA+ Android 2.1 handset than an Evo 4G with no 4G
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 05:26 AM

Quote:
The HTC Evo does have cdma/evdo as well
I don't understand the attraction to this PDA(?), especially to Canadians. Is has nothing over other HTCs 'cept a higher res camera, but I'm not convinced 8Mp over 5Mp (... even 3Mp) is anything other than false resolution (... ie, more pixels, but no increase of detail or signal/noise). If you still want HTC + 8Mp, hope for the Incredible.

cheerios from The Edge
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato9876 View Post
That would technically just make it the "HTC Evo" right? I'd rather see an HSPA+ Android 2.1 handset than an Evo 4G with no 4G
Thats right.. but 4G network in the US is pretty limited anyway.. and not like the speeds are faster than HSPA+. True though, i'd rather see an HSPA version of this phone. I'm sure there's one in the works.. I wouldnt think HTC is going to be a crazy android phone like this only for use with 1 carrier.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarewolf View Post
I don't understand the attraction to this PDA(?), especially to Canadians. Is has nothing over other HTCs 'cept a higher res camera, but I'm not convinced 8Mp over 5Mp (... even 3Mp) is anything other than false resolution (... ie, more pixels, but no increase of detail or signal/noise). If you still want HTC + 8Mp, hope for the Incredible.

cheerios from The Edge
It's the first/only Android phone with crazy 4.3" screen, 1ghz, etc etc.. For most i've talked to its not the camera that creates the attraction to the phone.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 05:38 AM

Quote:
It's the first/only Android phone with crazy 4.3" screen, 1ghz, etc etc.. For most i've talked to its not the camera that creates the attraction to the phone.
You didn't do the comparison, or I still don't get it. Either you're hot over an extra quarter inch, or there's something else I'm missing ... you haven't mentioned anything unique yet.

Regarding displays, I'd also be careful of HTC claims for 24bit color. See this comparison with the Motorala Droid at Displaymate.com.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in