Samsung Galaxy S or HTC EVO 4G - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 06:24 AM
Veteran

A 4.3" display would make it the largest on any Android device, but it also means the phone will be rather large. I have seen the HD2 in person and thought that was pushing the limit of how big a phone should be (and that only has a 4-inch display).

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 10:46 AM

i agree with you BGY i have a samsung omnia 2 and its 3.7" screen is right on teh edge for how big i would want a phone. ive seen teh hd2 and its a monster. i think you might be able to push it to 2.8 but 4" is just huge.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 01:23 PM
Veteran

Same phone as me. It's surprising how much a 0.3" increase really is when talking about handheld devices.

I can't wait to see reviews of the Galaxy - hopefully it's comparable to the current crop of HTC devices.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-10, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarewolf
You didn't do the comparison, or I still don't get it. Either you're hot over an extra quarter inch, or there's something else I'm missing ... you haven't mentioned anything unique yet.
The EVO also sports an HDMI port. I think it'd be pretty cool to load up the latest movies to take to the cottage, friends' houses, etc., and just plug it into their TVs to play HD movies.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-05-11, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The EVO also sports an HDMI port. I think it'd be pretty cool to load up the latest movies to take to the cottage, friends' houses, etc., and just plug it into their TVs to play HD movies.
That is cool but the Galaxy S supports DLNA if you have a Samsung tv you can stream your Video's from your Galaxy S to your LCD/Plasma ....you can also use your Galaxy S as a remote.

HDMI is still handy to have though.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 05:22 PM
Rookie

Galaxy S "Vibrant" coming to Canada

So, today's news is that the Galaxy S will be arriving in Canada this summer under the name "Vibrant". This permutation of the handset is set to be identical the T-mobile offering in the United States... which is identical to the specs and news/reviews of the model that is circulating in Europe right now.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 06:19 PM
Veteran

Slight difference - ours will use Bell's HSPA frequencies as Bell is getting it.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-06-29, 03:35 AM

A version of the Galaxy S will likely appear on several carriers, including any of the new entrants. Particularly for Shaw and Videotron who will need high-powered, big-name smartphones which they can potentially afford to subsidize with contracts.

The EVO 4G will likely be Sprint only; no other carrier seems to be going the WiMax route and HTC makes so many models they'll have an EVO killer ready before they could finish an HSPA EVO. If they really wanted to sell on another carrier though (assuming Sprint doesn't have exclusivity) they could launch on Verizon at 3G with no device modification required.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Which frequencies does the EVO use? Would it work with bell/telus?
What would its roaming capability be in asia?

What features (like GPS) would not work if I don't get a data plan?

Sorry for the amateur questions
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 03:37 PM
Veteran

It will not work on Telus or Bell at all as they don't activate non-carrier supplied CDMA handsets on their network.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 10:42 PM

I just played with it at The Source (formerly Radio Shack) and it was for Bell, w/ a micro-sim card. Awesome phone!!!

I'm stuck w/ Telus due to my stupidity of signing a 3-year contract. I wish I they could offer it for Telus. I'd buy it outright either way.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 01:13 AM

See if it will work with telus. If it does, buy it from bell, get it unlocked and go to telus.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 01:46 AM
Veteran

I'm not sure if people have been able to get the Bell version of this phone unlocked.

Furthermore, AFAIK, Bell isn't selling it to non-Bell subscribers yet due to high demand for the phone.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 09:29 AM

If you are on TELUS, get the HTC Desire, it is an amazing phone and prefer the the HTC Sense UI much more than the Samsung TouchWiz UI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in