Steve Jobs says why no Flash on iPhone, iPad - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Steve Jobs says why no Flash on iPhone, iPad

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Pretty well summarizes everything that has been said before, in an open letter. I already use click-to-flash on my Mac to block flash on websites and don't miss it on my iPhone/iPad either.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 01:28 PM

Except that he misses the point, why does he get to say no to Flash? If Flash really is as problematic as Steve claims, won't consumers stop buying Flash apps and visiting Flash sites or disable Flash themselves? And if they do that, isn't that a far more powerful motivating factor to switch to HTML5 or whatever Apple wants?

Also Steve condemning Flash for being a closed platform is pretty hilarious.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 01:33 PM

very well written...that was a great read. Sure does look like Adobe is loosing out with its proprietary system. But what is good for the goose....

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 04:38 PM
Veteran

too many sites that can't be accessed without flash, especially car manufacturer sites (I like going to those sites) and I still need my PC because of the "no flash policy" on my iTouch

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 04:47 PM
Digital Sage

Makes Apple look foolish actually. Almost as bad as losing a phone in a bar.

Consumers should drive what's good and bad not Jobs.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 05:00 PM
Member #1

Well put me in the Apple column on this one. It was an interesting read and I buy it.

post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 05:06 PM
U

Very nice!

I think that he makes a lot of very good points. It's great to hear this right from the horse's mouth. Very refreshing.

Personally I hate flash, what he says about Mac's crashing because of it couldn't be more to the point (I experienced it a few times). The sooner it goes away the better. This morning I brought up the nhl.com web page on my iPad to find everything working perfectly, even the videos, with no flash whatsoever.

And please, I heard this argument about open/closed in other forums too. Read the letter again, Jobs readily admits that Apple has many closed and proprietary platforms. When he refers to openness he's talking about web standards.

Imagine if Apple would have waited for Adobe to deliver a good mobile flash application, we still wouldn't have the iPhone, iTouch and iPad...

Don't get me wrong, before you think I'm some mindless Apple kool-aid drinker, I fully realize that Apple is first and foremost a for-profit organization and that to a certain extent they are trying to protect their business by not allowing flash. That is certainly part of the equation, but obviously not the only reason, as this letter just proves.

Mods, can we have a poll on this one?
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 05:09 PM
Veteran

In *some* ways, this is similar to FireFox's decision to not natively support HTML5/H.264 in terms of the reasons Jobs cites for the path Apple has taken - there's something to be said for the use of open standards as much as possible.

Having said that, I find Apple's stance somewhat ironic, given the proprietary nature of most of their products i.e. they're not exactly standing on the moral high ground on this one.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 05:10 PM
U

There is nothing ironic, he is very clear that "open" refers to web standards:

Quote:
Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Adobe CEO responds to Steve Jobs letter in an interview -

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/04/...ith-adobe-ceo/

Speaking about Mr. Jobs's assertion that Adobe is the No. 1 cause of Mac crashes, Mr. Narayan says if Adobe crashes Apple, that actually has something "to do with the Apple operating system."

Nice. Now I know why Steve Jobs called Adobe's developers 'lazy' awhile back.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 06:01 PM
U

It's interesting that Adobe says that Flash is a totally open specification yet it doesn't come integrated into any browser, mobile or otherwise. See, Mr. Adobe, I don't want to have to install any plugins to enjoy the web.. the web experience should be entirely based on open standards.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 07:00 PM

It's not really fair to agree to Job's, without seeing both sides of the story.

I disliked the blame game jobs played with crashing. Adobe products dont crash on my PC, neither does my PC crash to a Adobe product.

Microsoft releases updates often enough to show that, they're atleast trying to fix the problem versus crying out with a finger pointed elsewhere.

Webkit and Microsoft? It's like saying you should get a iPhone because you and your friends have one.
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 07:13 PM

Not that I'm very religious or anything but this reminds me of the "throwing the first stone" bit from the Bible.

So they're both trying to portray themselves as the nicest and most open?

This is the same Apple that forces developers to submit apps to them for scrutiny and censoring function (no wifi hot-spot for you!) or content (tiddies are bad!) on a reguar basis when they are submitted to them for appproval? Yes they're very open in their desire to control and impose their will.

And this is the same Adobe that routinely bashes Canon and Nikon for not adopting the Adobe dng raw standard or alternatively, disclosing every detail about their raw processing so that Adobe can use it in their proprietary raw converters? They are very open in their desire for complete control of digital photo processing.

Just two digital corporate giants acting like two-year-olds... I love it! All we need is Google and Microsoft in there for a great old fashioned tag-team match. Pass the popcorn.
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 07:57 PM

I like HTML5. I like it a heck of a lot more than Flash. I wish all the websites I visit used HTML5 instead.

However that hasn't happened. Many websites are in Flash and will stay that way for the foreseeable future. So if web designers are designing in Flash, and Flash is willing to create a plug-in for Apple devices, why does Steve get to say no for me? Why can't I chose to install it or not? There is a big difference between telling people they shouldn't and don't have to use Flash and telling them that they can't use Flash.

If, when Froyo arrives, Flash bogs down my Android phone I will disable it. If I can't disable it I (along with I'm sure many, many others) will raise hell. But at least I'll have that choice.
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 09:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
Adobe CEO responds to Steve Jobs letter in an interview -

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/04/...ith-adobe-ceo/

Speaking about Mr. Jobs's assertion that Adobe is the No. 1 cause of Mac crashes, Mr. Narayan says if Adobe crashes Apple, that actually has something "to do with the Apple operating system."

Nice. Now I know why Steve Jobs called Adobe's developers 'lazy' awhile back.
I agree with the no-Flash stance, but the Mac argument is kind of a double-edged sword. Apple's OS should be robust to bad programs from companies like Adobe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in