Bell Palm Pre now free on 2-year contract - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-27, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Bell Palm Pre now free on 2-year contract

I never owned a smart phone before and am thinking about getting one are they any good?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/04/23/be...year-contract/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-27, 04:30 AM
Veteran

The general opinion is that WebOS is quite a good software platform (within the top 3 for smartphone platforms), but the hardware it's running on isn't the greatest. Some find the keys too slippery and hard to press, while others have suffered some build-quality issues. The main one being a wobbly slider - often nicknamed the "Oreo Effect." Also be wary of the bottom part of the slider as I know earlier revisions were very sharp - as in, cut a block of cheese as though it were a knife going through hot butter. I haven't heard whether devices shipping now have eliminated most/all of these issues, but it's still worth noting just in case.

Either way, the other big issue is the status of Palm itself. They are not doing too well at all financially at all. With the recent news that HTC walked away from a potential bid to buy them out, their future seems questionable at the moment.

I wouldn't go with it myself, but then I've pretty much decided I'm going to an Android device.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-27, 09:25 AM

I have owned a Palm Pre since last September.

Never had a problem with it, It's super easy to hack and there is great support from the homebrew community.

WebOS has consistently received praise as being the best Mobile Phone operating system in existence today.

I'll agree that Palm is an underdog in the Mobile phone market but I personally feel they have the best device out there (but not the most popular).

The latest WebOS update (free) has brought the Palm PRE in line with the iPhone from a features perspective and the Pre has always surpassed the iPhone when talking about multi-tasking.

Don't be scared because it's not the most popular kid in the playground. Take advantage of how cheap it is and enjoy

BTW.. The build quality issues mentioned above were resolved before the phone ever came to Bell.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-27, 11:03 AM
Veteran

Actually, within the first couple months, there were two revisions that Bell had; it was actually from Bell users where I came across the slider issues. Good to know Palm fixed them though.

I do agree that WebOS and the homebrew community are compelling reasons to consider the device. Given the fact there are still quite a few devices in the supply chain (not to mention refurbished units if warranty replacements are needed) perhaps I may have been a bit harsh in my recommendation.

Definitely visit a store and try one out first though - that is my recommendation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in