Opera Mini now available for iPhone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Opera Mini now available for iPhone

Despite many people saying they wouldn't, Apple has approved the opera mini browser for the iphone.

I have downloaded and synced and am now trying it out on my iphone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 04:31 PM
Veteran

Browsing Yahoo! Sports on it right now and wow, is it ever fast compared to Safari! Images load just a hair slower than text.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 04:36 PM
Veteran

I played with it last night and today, and feel underwhelmed. I am comparing it with Safari and Oceanus. The zooming functionality is very bad, IMO - there are just 2 levels, nothing in between. I just couldn't fit the exact content I wanted on the screen - I usually got either one or the other part of the page, but not the combination I was aiming for.
The other big problem is the lack of full screen view, as with Oceanus - where you can get rid of both upper and lower toolbars. This gives you a lot more real estate, and is an obvious omission in Opera.
The hyped speed of downloading pages - overrated, IMO. What happens is that you get a longer pause at the beginning - while the Opera servers retrieve the page you request, and then it all pops up at once (when it's sent compressed to your phone). The other 2 browsers start showing stuff gradually. You may end up being able to read the whole page faster, but nothing to write home about really - I actually never had complaints about the browsing speed on the 3GS anyway. And nothing at all like the big talk of "up to 80% faster" that I've read on some fan sites.
And what's up with this everything you browse going through one server somewhere? Helloo, isn't this a huge privacy issue?
As a whole, I find it faster at serving the page, and bad at displaying it. I don't know how the others surf the web, but I spend a lot more time reading the page, than clicking on links, so this Opera version is thumbs down for me. No wonder Apple allowed it on iTunes so fast. Not much of a competition. But I welcome it anyway, because any competition is good.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 05:11 PM
Veteran

Arthur, I should mention I'm using a 3G, and the browsing & loading speed is significantly faster. Yes, there is an initial pause when loading as you described. While Safari loads pages gradually, I can't make use of the content while it appears. Often times links will jump around while loading, which results in many wrong links selected if I start touching the screen.

I agree the zoom function could be improved.

I like the options to toggle load images, image quality, font size, mobile view, and fullscreen.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 08:43 PM

I don't have an iPhone, but I've been using Opera Mini on my LG Rumor 2 for almost a year now and it's amazing. I can pretty much browse any website on my (dumb)phone and it's fast even with 1XRTT data speeds thanks to the compression.

A great day for iPhone users, and kudos to Apple as well for actually allowing this one
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 10:02 PM

Is anybody having issues with this app crashing on some sites?

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 01:45 PM

Will it do Flash?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Hmm, can't display digitalhome on it and had problems with other sites.

I will try it a bit longer, however, I suspect this app will be removed from iphone until they come out with an update.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 02:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Hmm, can't display digitalhome on it
Hugh, I'm writing this on my iPhone using Opera Mini. I started on the Digital Home homepage and navigated to the forums using the links. It did however default to the mobile view, which can be toggled off at the bottom of the page.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Yes I went in mobile mode. It worked for the main page but wouldn't serve up a content article. No biggy, I just think I will stick to Safari!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 04:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulp View Post
Will it do Flash?
No. I don't think we'll ever see Flash on a legitimate Apple device. It seems more and more that Apple has declared a "holy war" on Adobe Flash Player.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 04:26 PM
Veteran

It seems snappier but that could be because it compresses everything. Also, on the default zoom level I can't read the text on most pages. With Safari I can read the text/links as the page loads and navigate on to the next page before the current page fully loads. I do like the greater options for personalizing browser settings.

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
It seems more and more that Apple has declared a "holy war" on Adobe Flash Player.
Not true. Opera could make it so Mini could show flash but they chose not to because it wouldn't be "interactive" (their words not mine). I believe this is because Opera Mini is not really a browser rather its what they call an enabler

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 05:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Not true. Opera could make it so Mini could show flash but they chose not to because it wouldn't be "interactive" (their words not mine). I believe this is because Opera Mini is not really a browser rather its what they call an enabler
Many developers can show flash in their browsers or even in Safari. It's been done long ago on a jailbroken iPhone (not very well, as you can guess). And it doesn't matter what Opera points out as a reason not to have Flash - the two real reasons (almost certainly) are that they cannot do it well on the iPhone platform, and Apple had explicitly told them not to try that if they want the browser to be approved.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Hmm, can't display digitalhome on it and had problems with other sites.

I will try it a bit longer, however, I suspect this app will be removed from iphone until they come out with an update.
I don't use it on iPhone but Opera Mini renders Digital Home fine on my Rumor2.

Tags
app , browser , iphone , mini , opera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in