CDMA iPhone coming [now its here] - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
apn

CDMA iPhone coming [now its here]

Contract manufacturer Pegatron (Taiwan) will be producing a CDMA variant of Apple's iPhone from September 2010, with likely launch early 2011.

AT&T loses US exclusivity, but I guess Apple decided it couldn't ignore the combinded ~70% market share of CDMA operators Verizon, Sprint and their affiliates.

Expect Google to follow, if it doesn't already have plans in the works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 07:45 AM
Veteran

I would take this with a grain of salt for several reasons:

- The Verizon iPhone rumor has popped up quite a few times with nothing to show for it.

- a CDMA iPhone would have a slower network connection, and would not be able to talk and use data at the same time. It would seem like a downgrade from the existing iPhone.

- It doesn't match Apple's traditional release schedule. It reminds me of the rumors of a camera-equipped iPod Touch that was going to be released early this year.

- With CDMA carriers in the US rolling out LTE around this timeframe (or sooner) would it make sense to realease a CDMA version? I'm doubtful.

Of course it is all speculation at this point. What I can say though is don't expect a CDMA version here in Canada. That would cause a lot of confusion with Bell and Telus already carrying the current HSPA one.
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Apple hasn't said anything. It's all still speculation.
I also think it's kind of late for that, with LTE on Verizon coming up.

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
apn

Does Apple EVER say anything

I wouldn't doubt the WSJ , plus I think you're underestimating the continued importance of the CDMA installed base with its ~70% market share in the US.

Yes, VZW is planning to deploy LTE (I'm with a major selected vendor), but it will be limited to select hot-spots (read: data) for the short-term and will probably be an overlay, not a replacement network.

In the meantime, the CDMA side of our business is going gangbusters with network expansion and continued feature requests from this important customer.
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 11:55 AM
Veteran

CDMA won't happen. Verizon will get an iPhone, but it will be LTE.

Bottom line is that CDMA just isn't a viable option. Those carriers still using it are all well advanced in their replacement plans to move to LTE.

Apple, by the way, is currently hiring LTE engineers to work on this product.
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 09:27 PM

Google announced a CDMA N1 a long time ago, likely will start shipping next week.
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Different go-to-market strategy. Apple prefers to be more techno-chic and won't pander to low-brow/knuckle-dragging CDMA just for the sake of gaining share. They'd rather appeal to the the higher end of the market and command a higher price.

Is it the best strategy? That's debatable. But that is their approach.
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-04-01, 10:29 AM

The timing of this "announcement" is impeccable. Perhaps and April Fools?
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-04-03, 10:43 PM

Note, these are not confirmed reports ("appears" "rumors"). To be taken with a grain of salt. Even Reuters and the WSJ get it wrong sometimes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTPU00229320100330

http://www.iphone-scoop.com/2010/03/...ion-of-iphone/

http://www.macdaddynews.com/?p=877
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 03:42 PM

These rumours first appeared in early February (link below) - so its not timed as April Fool's joke. But where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

LINK

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #11 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
These rumours first appeared in early February (link below) - so its not timed as April Fool's joke. But where there's smoke, there's usually fire.
Or just as easily steam and hot air.
post #12 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 07:54 PM
Veteran

We had this rumor last summer as well. Actually I think that was for an "iPhone like device" - speculation was that the body shape would have been a little different/smaller. Nothing happened then and I'll believe it this time when I see it.

But then again, it really doesn't matter to me (I barely care)
post #13 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Verizon CEO comments today support the hypothesis that Apple will go straight to LTE and forgo a CDMA model.
post #14 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 10:52 PM

I don't think that's likely to happen that Apple will go to LTE directly. Eventually over time, yes.

LTE is still new and the infrastructure is only in specific, and strategic places and has not been rolled out to all major and moderate metro areas yet. So, just as Apple first first introduced the iPhone 2G model, where everyone was wondering why Apple chose to come out only with 2G as the initial introduction instead of 3G, Apple won't move to pre-4G (LTE) yet until there is sufficient critical mass in the LTE infrastructure (easier adoption by more people) and this LTE infrastructure won't happen until mid-2011 or end of 2011, or later.

Carriers don't invest heavily in CDMA technology and then rip them out to replace them with LTE. They usually move to new technologies gradually e.g. LTE, consolidate, or overlay, and/or move the older technologies e.g. CDMA to smaller or rural areas.

I think what's more likely to happen is that for 2010+, Apple will introduce the Apple OS4 and CDMA iPhone (to grab existing CDMA market share from other phone manufacturers), and in 2011/2012, they'll come out with their next iPhone 5 (aka iPhone pre-4G or LTE). That way their future version of iPhone will be usable on the more readily available LTE infrastructure.

Most people always think that people can install such cell technologies as fast as people can design them. But in actual truth, the overall time taken to manage the roll out and implement LTE (or any new technology) is very long.

GSM is still around and was introduced back in 1991. That's nearly 19+ years ago. CDMA will be around and maybe for just as long but definitely longer than when LTE will be implemented for the masses.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. It definitely will be interesting to see which way Apple moves to. I'm for the CDMA iPhone rumour due to the additional milking revenue that Apple will get with introducing the CDMA iPhone in 2010 and another LTE iPhone in 2011/12.

I forgot to mention, that if Apple moves to an LTE iPhone, and there is no LTE signal supported in a specific regional area, then there is no fallback technology unlike the HSPA/2G/GSM that is possible with the existing iPhones. That's why Apple won't be moving to LTE yet since the infrastructure is not there until 2011.

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #15 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-04-10, 12:19 AM
Veteran

But LTE does fallback to HSPA, doesn't it? HSPA is available just about everywhere in the civilised world today...

My guess is that Verizon is in the same situation that Bell/Telus found themselves in...at the dead-end of their technology cycle and needing to make a massive capital investment to stay relevant. Seeing as they are well down the path of making this required investment, Apple is just as well to direct their engineering efforts towards the next-generation (which will generate returns around the world) rather than invest in a technology that will be tired before it even comes out.

All personal opinion, but that's my $0.02.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in