CDMA iPhone coming [now its here] - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 02:42 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Personal hotspot....this is essentially tethering for iPad,
I don't think so. Sounds more like mifi abilities. You can't turn an existing iPhone into a Wifi router.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 03:52 PM

I love how AT&T was pretty quick to remind everyone that these Verizon CDMA iPhone users will not be able to Talk and Surf at the same time like you can on their GSM network.
post #78 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I don't think so. Sounds more like mifi abilities. You can't turn an existing iPhone into a Wifi router.
It sounds as if they've built MiFi into the CDMA iPhone, so isn't that essentially tethering for devices like iPad? Or am I missing some piece?

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD

post #79 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 06:02 PM

iPads or any other wifi enabled device, including other mobile phones.
post #80 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 06:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
I love how AT&T was pretty quick to remind everyone that these Verizon CDMA iPhone users will not be able to Talk and Surf at the same time like you can on their GSM network.
I don't know if it's a feature for the masses, but since I gained the ability to do so on HSPA, I've become quite accustomed to it. I often take conference calls while viewing a slide deck at the same time.
post #81 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 06:51 PM

Quote:
It clicked on the way home from work what you were getting at there Hugh -- WiFi router. But in cases where you have WiFi, you wouldn't need the hotspot features anyway. You iPad (or other device) could just use the WiFi network. Away from WiFi it would be cool to "tether" those WiFi only devices.

Anyone hear any rumours of this version being available in Canada?

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #82 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 07:00 PM

The Verizon iPhone is running a newer version of iOS, so there's speculation that when the other iPhones are updated they will also gain this feature. This may be true, or it may be based on whether AT&T and other carriers will agree to this feature.

I think this was inevitable after the feature was added to Android, and carriers are fighting a losing battle to block it. Between the data caps and data sharing options, I think the carriers were already seeing the end of the double dipping on data charges.
post #83 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 07:31 PM
Member #1

Quote:
so isn't that essentially tethering for devices like iPad?
Existing iPhones can't tether to an iPad. You can only tether the iPhone to a computer using the USB cable meaning your iPad is out of luck.

This will allow you to create a hotspot that you can connect up to 5 devices to via wifi.

post #84 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 01:36 AM
Veteran

You can tether a computer or other device to your iPhone4 via Bluetooth as well, so you don't need to be physically connected by USB cable.

Also, I discovered on BC Ferries one day that both my wife and I could connect our MacBooks via Bluetooth to my iPhone's data connection. We didn't have any other Macs around to see if we could get more than two connected.

But back on topic, I'm curious to see how Verizon fares with the onslaught of people looking for the "faster lane of traffic" on a network technology that's a little slower (CDMA 3G vs. GSM 3G).
AT&T probably thought they were prepared as well back in 2007. I'm sure Verizon thinks they're ready, but when two million people in NYC are all tethering at the same time......again, I'm curious to see.

I have used a Verizon MiFi while in the US, and it is noticeably slower than when I tether with my iPhone on Rogers in Canada. In fact, there have been plenty of times where it feels closer in speed to a good dial-up connection. Sure, the coverage is there just about everywhere, but speed - not pretty at all.
post #85 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 09:09 AM
Member #1

But you can't tether an iPhone to iPad via Bluetooth in order to surf have access to the web on your iPad.The CDMA iPHone will allow that.

post #86 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 10:08 AM

It is being reported that the feature may be available in iOS 4.3. It is rumor right now. Also I assume the carriers would have to be on board for this to happen. Love to be able to turn my iPhone 4 into a wi-fi hotspot for my non 3g iPad.
post #87 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 12:19 PM
Veteran

Teetering / mifi...i think it's just semantics and were talking about the same thing, just wirelessly.

At any rate, I'm glad to see this is finally coming. I give Android all the credit for making this happen!

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...4_3_rumor.html
post #88 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 12:42 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Teetering / mifi...i think it's just semantics and were talking about the same thing, just wirelessly.
No it's not the same thing.

Quote:
Also I assume the carriers would have to be on board for this to happen.
Agreed. In the past AT&T was not onboard because their systems are overloaded as it is. In Canada, my guess is Belus and Rogers will probably not allow it because it would limit sales of Wireless sticks and additional data plans.

post #89 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 01:05 PM

Quote:
No it's not the same thing.
Can you elaborate on the difference hugh?

Not that Wikipedia is any sort of definative source, but their article defines tethering as:

Quote:
a method for connecting a computer to the internet via an internet-capable mobile phone. The computer is connected to a mobile phone either with a cable, with a Bluetooth connection or with some other method: the connection to the internet is completed by the phone.
Given that definition, I'd agree with 99semaj and chalk it up to semantics. MiFi seems to provide the same function as USB or Bluetooth tethering, although how it accomplishes that technologically is different.

To steer a bit back toward the topic, has there been any rumblings from Canadian carriers about picking up this version of the iPhone? It would make total sense for carriers like SaskTel (and perhaps Bell?) who don't have a GSM network to fall back on in poor service areas, but still have a very extensive CDMA network.

post #90 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-12, 01:29 PM
Digital Sage

Tethering is making your mobile into a modem(hardwired or bluetooth) while mifi is a modem that usually handles up to 5 devices and has a few hours of battery time.

Similiar in a way but not the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in