CDMA iPhone coming [now its here] - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 11:10 PM
Veteran

I'm not sure what else a special Verizon event could be for, but if it is for the iPhone, I do find it odd that Apple is not the one giving the presentation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 12:12 AM
Veteran

I agree. I'm actually flip flopping now and thinking that maybe this is really it after all. I give it a 50/50 at this point.

I sort of wonder, why get into CDMA this late in the game. One logical answer: the speculated AT&T exclusivity contract ended on Dec 31, 2010 and they didn't want any of the luster of the announcement lost this week with CES.
post #63 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 12:51 AM
Veteran

I think with all the hype from Vz on LTE, to announce a CDMA iphone is like going back in time. Why would someone want to be locked into a phone on a dead-end technology for 3 years as LTE starts taking off. If it would be a LTE/CDMA phone, fine. But by announcing a CMDA only iPhone, it would diminish their message on the need for the high speed you'll get on LTE.

My bet is still on a LTE iPhone (something Apple has to be working on anyways in order to compete with all the other LTE android phones). If not, they will lose Vz all together as people load up on Android/LTE.

post #64 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 07:50 AM
Veteran

If Verizon releases the iPhone this month, I feel sorry for anyone who rushes out to buy it; given that the iPhone 5 will probably be announced in less than 6 months and everyone will be stuck on contract with them. Given that Verizon is upping their early upgrade time to 20 months instead of 12 it won't make people happy.

Granted, maybe that's what Verizon wants.
post #65 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 09:07 AM
Veteran

Looks like my prediction is wrong on this one...I always thought Apple would let CDMA sail into the sunset, but given VZW won't be able to support voice traffic for another year, i guess an old-school CDMA version is imminent. I've heard that Qualcomm was really desperate to make this happen...i wonder how much incentive they had to pay Apple?

On the plus side, i guess we'll finally see how iOS can stack up against Android in the US market.
post #66 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 09:23 AM
Veteran

Right - no voice on Vz LTE until 2012 makes a Vz CMDA iPhone pretty much a certainty. Whether the phone will be "LTE ready" is still a possibility. Those who want an iPhone will also want LTE - makes no sense to lock into a CDMA plan.
post #67 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 10:15 AM

I'd guess that 95% of Verizon users don't really know or care about LTE. We're talking about the same people who think the iPhone 4 means 4G, the vast majority of consumers don't read tech blogs or do research. If they want an iPhone the fact that it's a CDMA device won't stop them.

If Apple wants to make it an LTE device they can do so much in the same way that HTC's Thunderbolt does. CDMA for voice and LTE for data. If they don't, it's probably because LTE is such a new technology. Apple has never been known to shy away from legacy networks, they launched the first iPhone without 3G support and it's public knowledge that they initially approached Verizon before AT&T.
post #68 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 10:38 AM
Veteran

Even the mainstream media is reporting it now. Last night I saw a CBS news update where I believe they reported it as "Tuesday is whey Verizon will announce". Seems to be a bonafide fact at this point. Tech reporters will be speachless if for some reason that's not what it is
post #69 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 08:57 PM
Veteran

Apple is also dropping restocking fees (at least in the US) for iPhones starting tomorrow.

It seems the closer we get to the event, the more evidence pops up that Verizon could in fact be getting the iPhone. Oh well, I guess we'll know tomorrow for sure.
post #70 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 11:08 AM

Verizon iPhone 4. It exists.

Verizon iPhone 4. It exists. Live from Verizon's iPhone event.

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #71 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 11:17 AM
Veteran

and it is CDMA
post #72 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 11:18 AM

$199 for the 16GB, $299 for 32GB -- mobile hotspot included. And the carriers will milk it for all they can.

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #73 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
apn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
and it is CDMA
Yes indeed, just as I posted back in March 2010, and I sure took some lumps from all the naysayers.

Step right up now, come and get it while it's hot, there's plenty to go around:

post #74 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 12:46 PM
Member #1

From WSJ

Quote:
Apple, meanwhile, gets access to Verizon Wireless's 93 million customers, essentially doubling its potential customer base.
This should really boost iPhone sales

Quote:
Verizon said the iPhone 4 also would include new "Personal Hotspot" capabilities allowing customers to use the smartphone to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices.
Hmm, I want that for my iPhone!

Quote:
. IHS iSuppli said the Verizon iPhone should boost global iPhone shipments 25% to 61.2 million this year.
Verizon is expected to sell 9 million iphones this year vs. 6 million of AT&T. I suspect many of those 9 million would have bought an Android phone so this could hurt North American sales of Android devices.

post #75 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Personal hotspot....this is essentially tethering for iPad, but of course CDMA won't support that along with voice at the same time, so I wonder if they'll promote it as such?

Hopefully the HSPA world will get that at the same time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in