CDMA iPhone coming [now its here] - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 12:41 AM

That depends on your definition of soon. Verizon is planning on lighting up it's LTE network in many major cities this year, but replicating it's fantastic rural coverage will likely take at least until the end of 2012. Even if from the beginning of 2013 Verizon only sold LTE handsets they would need to keep the CDMA network at peak performance until at least 2015 to satisfy all those who signed a two-year contract in 2012 with a CDMA device, and would likely need to keep it operational until at least 2020 simply due to other equipment using it's network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
apn

Words of reason, Colin!

It seems that many here don't know that EVDO shipments are still growing AND have not yet peaked.

There's also growth outside North America. Net1 recently launched a brand new 450MHz EVDO network in Scandinavia, and there are other contracts in wings.

As I said above, GSM was declared dead almost a decade ago, but the now defunct Nortel had it's highest GSM shipments and revenue in 2009. Due to the scale of investment to build a network, technology transfers historically have a very long tail.

CDMA is far from over, but in addition to counting VZW as a major customer (for CDMA and LTE), we're also happy to sell HSPA and eventually LTE equipment to AT&T and others that want to get a head start
post #48 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
apn

...and in other news;

http://www.ericsson.com/news/100923_cdma_20100923170352

Sep 23, 2010. CDMA Spectral efficiencies for data explosion

• Successfully demonstrated a 1x Advanced call, a technical first for the CDMA industry
• 1x Advanced enables greater spectral efficiency gains
• Allows transitioning scarce spectrum resources from voice to data and leveraging the data explosion

With 1x Advanced, voice capacity is increased by 100-200%, freeing up scarce spectrum resources for operators to deploy new and additional mobile data services. Having more spectrum available for data services will enable operators to increase their revenue potential by increasing their deployment and offering of bandwidth hungry data applications.

See the trend, yet?

post #49 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 08:40 AM
Veteran

Topic is Apple and iPhone, not whether or not CDMA has any legs left.
post #50 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 12:01 PM
Veteran

Yes, I think we should leave the CDMA's fate discussion out, what I wanted to stress first and foremost is that there won't be a CDMA iPhone.
post #51 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
apn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Topic is Apple and iPhone, not whether or not CDMA has any legs left.
Sorry dude, but one is directly related to the other.

...and besides, it was a convenient argument when it supported your position. The purported death of CDMA was the first response post#2 (BYG11), repeated post#3 (Arthur) and repeated again in post#5 = YOU.

You can't have it both ways, brother, so pick an argument and stick with it. One of us is going to be wrong.

Truth is, I'm quite familiar with VZW's LTE rollout plans, because we're supplying them. You can take it to the bank that it will be a few years before that network has traction, and VZW is not going to leave the bulk of its ~95 Million subscribers "stranded" on a dead network.
post #52 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 12:45 PM
Veteran

apn, no one has said that the Verizon CDMA network will be shut down, or "dead" any time soon. Just that it will be phased out, may be still on for 10 years or so, just like the analog network of Rogers didn't get shut off until 2008 - long after they stopped selling phones for it.
The point is it will stop seeing the best of new phones pretty soon.
post #53 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
apn

Fair dues, Arthur and sorry for being a hothead.

To reiterate my point, we're seeing demonstrable evidence of a very long tail i.e. rising revenues (even though we supply LTE too!). Given the current environment, we don't see VZW or anyone else cutting off hot handsets until LTE has some serious traction.

None of us really knows if there's a CDMA iPhone in the works, and there's conflicting evidence to support both sides of the debate. Only time will tell
post #54 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Fair enough apn. I don't mind backing down when the argument is fair.

FWIW, it's not lost on me that CDMA is very much a part of LTE from a technology POV. I still maintain, however, that a CDMA/EVDO version of the iPhone is not modus operandi for Apple.
post #55 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 12:14 PM

Sigh ...... not sure why so many people have blinders on and keep droning that Apple is not coming up with a CDMA iPhone. As I stated before (also droning from my part --- :-D), creating a CDMA iPhone will make money for Apple and CDMA carriers.

This conflict of GSM vs CDMA is irrelevant to consumers. Consumers will simply choose whichever wireless technology that provides the best experience for them, and at the best price points that a consumer feels they want to pay.

I believe that not only is a CDMA iPhone coming, but that the next iPhone will be using something like the Qualcomm multi-mode CDMA/EV-DO, and HSPA+/GSM chip. A world iPhone.

This will help bring down costs when Apple normalizes their factory production of iPhones to utilize one chip in their phone designs for multiple different carriers.

If/when they're planning to incorporate this multi-mode chip on their iPad2, its impossible to avoid not using this on the next iPhone version.

So, watch out for this coming soon...

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #56 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 02:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
...This conflict of GSM vs CDMA is irrelevant to consumers. Consumers will simply choose whichever wireless technology that provides the best experience for them, and at the best price points that a
Keep in mind that there are functional differences with a CDMA phone. One specific one is the ability to mult-task and use data while in a call - something that Apple used to show in their commercials. So introducting a CDMA iPhone in the US will open them up to "why can't I do this with Verizon while with AT&T I can", and "why can't I take my phone with me and move from AT&T to Verizon", and "why is my batterly life so much better/worse now". Basically: customer confusion.

As it stands right now they essentially only make one phone (with some minor memory chip adjustments) and sell it 88 countries around the world. Apart from the carrier locks, memory size, and localization, all iPhones around the world are essentially the same and functionally identical.

So I still can't see them adding a CDMA specific iPhone (which was rumored for October, then "immediately after Christmas", and now "coming soon") but I would agree that we may see a universal chipset on an iPhone5 in the summer.
post #57 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 03:45 PM
Veteran

I agree .. CDMA is the past. Vz wants to move their customers to LTE. An LTE iPhone is a certainty. What better way to get customers to migrate to Vz (iPhone + LTE) or to keep their existing customers. If they try to compete CDMA+iPhone to 3G+iphone they may lose.

I predict an LTE iPhone soon - no CDMA.
post #58 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
Sigh ...... not sure why so many people have blinders on and keep droning that Apple is not coming up with a CDMA iPhone. As I stated before (also droning from my part --- :-D), creating a CDMA iPhone will make money for Apple and CDMA carriers.
Perhaps because there is NO evidence that Apple is planning a CDMA iPhone and business decisions are about more than revenue.

Speculation and assumptions is ALL that we have about a CDMA iPhone.
post #59 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 07:52 PM
Veteran

Remember two summers ago (I guess that would be summer 2009) there was all those "hot" leads that an "iphone like" device was coming to Verizon that year. Supposedly the lead was someone very high up in Verizon and close to the situation.... well obviously that never materialized but my point (from page 1 of this thread) is that it wasn't a Verizon iPhone per say but it was an iPhone like Apple CDMA phone.

Who knows what that actually means. There was speculation that it would be smaller and/or a different shape and/or a different screen size. But something to definitely distinguish it from the iphone so you don't end up with all the customer confusion questions I previously posted. It would have still been a CDMA phone and still run what we now call iOS but would be quite different and distinguishable.

Maybe that was all rumor or maybe they were close and the deal fell apart from a technical or contract perspective - I doubt we'll ever know. But it doesn't make sense to me that they'd do it at this point.

The iPhone v5 supporting LTE, HSPA, ABC, XYZ, Tic-tac-toe, and whatever else is up and coming I can see. But a CDMA iPhone doesn't add up in my books. Not saying it definitely won't happen (maybe I'm wrong), but I'll believe it when I see it.
post #60 of 109 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 10:37 PM
Veteran

There are reports of a Verizon press event for this coming Tuesday where they are expected to release the iPhone. Maybe? Maybe not? I don't know. It still makes sense to me that if that's what it is, it will be an LTE version and not CDMA. Who the heck knows???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in