CDMA iPhone coming [now its here] - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 03:57 PM
Veteran

but what about canada? There maybe hope for my unlimited plan after all?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 04:18 PM
Veteran

I would say the crows are still very safe.
TKG26, what you are hoping for is the longest shot ever. Unlimited data from your current ulimited CDMA browsing option? In order of importance, here are the problems.
1. CDMA iPhone is still extremely unlikely, whatever the new and improved rumours say.
2. Bell/Telus will not be getting the CDMA iPhone, even if it miraculously emerges. They have deployed a whole new 3G network in order not to have to bother with anything new CDMA ever again.
3. Following from 2, you will need to use a Verizon-only CDMA iPhone. If memory serves me well, in the medieval world of CDMA, "SIM card" is an unknown word, and the handful of CDMA carriers in North America don't activate phones from the other CDMA carriers.
post #33 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-08-09, 04:20 PM
Veteran

Man, how many times to we have to go round and round on this rumor. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still under the belief that Apple doesn't want to make an iPhone with a CDMA chip set. And actually never did. I believe that from the conceptual days, Uncle Steve always intended to sell it in 80+ countries around the world and hence always wanted to go with the international standard GSM chip (any negotiating with Verizon at the time would have be posturing with AT&T). And to essentially only make one phone. Some minor customization with the memory sizes and the black or white plastic, but really that's it - world wide they essentially only make one phone and that's the way they want it!

Also, there's issues where a CDMA iPhone wouldn't be functionally the same as an AT&T one. The example that comes to mind is the inability to use CDMA data while on a call. Just means they'd run into issues with some people's working differently than others. And then issues with people who don't know better wanting to transfer their AT&T iphone to Verizon.

Plus CDMA is an old/legacy technology so this whole iPhone on Verizon CDMA thing just doesn't make any sense. What makes more sense is future iPhone models (i.e. iPhone5 and beyone) supporting LTE or future generation Verizon/Sprint/international networks but not CDMA.

post #34 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 05:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Of course, if Verizon does get the iPhone, I predict it's only a matter of time before T-Mobile gets it as well.
T-Mobile is GSM/EDGE, not CDMA. Their barrier to entry is their lack of any decent 3G coverage in NA.

I still hold to my theory from a year ago. No CDMA iPhone. Verizon will be live in 30 markets with LTE in the same time frame that this latest rumour is said to be happening.

I just can't see Apple getting excited about a declining market, especially when the big players are so close to flashing up a network that IS attractive to Apple.
post #35 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
T-Mobile is GSM/EDGE, not CDMA. Their barrier to entry is their lack of any decent 3G coverage in NA.
T-Mobile is 3G over AWS. Their 3G coverage isn't quite as good as AT&T, but it's definitely there, and they're in the middle of a wide-scale deployment of their HSPA+ network.
post #36 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 09:59 PM
Veteran

I'd like to know where...every time I roam in the US (two or three times per month) I can only access EDGE on T-Mobile. This includes Atlanta, Houston, Hartford, Charlotte, western NY, Tampa, etc. I'll try Phoenix this weekend...

Granted, my Bold 9000 wouldn't pick up the AWS freqs, but my 9700 which I've been carrying the past month should.
post #37 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-08-10, 10:14 PM

Is it an AWS 9700? The 9700 comes in several varieties, not all of them support AWS.

T-Mobile's 3G coverage can be found here. Most major urban centres should have 3G coverage on the 1700 band.
post #38 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-08-11, 10:41 AM
Veteran

Ah, I think you are correct. My "About" screen reports bands 1,2,5,6 and from what I can tell, T-Mobile's freq would be band 4.

I stand corrected.
post #39 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 10:41 AM
Veteran

CDMA iPhone less and less likely

With AT&T's annoucement that they will deploy LTE broadly in mid-2011, and Verizon's deployment coming even before that, I am guessing that there is almost no chance at all that Apple would waste time designing an iPhone for a network infratructure on palliative care.
post #40 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 03:04 PM

There will still be plenty of CDMA use throughout the world for a long time to come (that's sort of like saying Apple should drop the GSM/EDGE radio from iPhones because HSPA is the new standard) but I agree that we will likely see an LTE iPhone before a CDMA variant. With Verizon set to light up LTE this year it would seem like next June would be the ideal time for an announcement. Initially Verizon's LTE will likely be limited to mobile broadband anyway, like T-Mobile's HSPA+ network was.
post #41 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Yes, that's what I meant by palliative...they want to keep it alive as long as feasible, but there's no illusions that the old guy is going to live forever. Too early for last rites, but it's time to get ones last will and testament up to date.

[/metaphor]

I will politely disagree with your comment about around the world, though. Trust me, CDMA doesn't get much love outside of Canada/USA/Mexico.
post #42 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 04:13 PM

Perhaps, but the iPhone was launched in 2007 as a GSM/EDGE only device, despite AT&T launching 3G HSPA service in 2005. Apple has shown in the past a willingness to support legacy technologies.

CDMA is certainly not nearly as popular outside of North America, but it has it's footholds. China Telecom for example has 43 million CDMA subscribers and recently launched 3G EVDO service. More than just personal cell phones use CDMA infrastructure. Though new upgrades are unlikely, expect to see CDMA networks maintained by carriers for a long time yet.
post #43 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Despite my obvious preference, I actually do hope that the network stays up for a few years. I manufactured CDMA products for years, and replacing them before their natural life ends will cost me (and others like me) a small fortune in business concessions for major customers. Not to mention loss of loyalty from smaller ones.

Fortunately, all the major players in my industry saw the dim prospects for CDMA a few years ago, so hopefully we'll be able to close this dark chapter in mobile technology sooner than the consumer handset makers.
post #44 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 06:11 PM
Veteran

Verizon CEO hints iPhone not coming soon

Verizon CEO hints iPhone not coming soon. I know I'm betting against all the rumours out there, but it just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Comments from Verizon Communications Inc. CEO Ivan Seidenberg on Thursday left little room for the possibility of a Verizon version of the iPhone any time soon.

Speaking to investors at a Goldman Sachs conference, Seidenberg said nothing about an iPhone for the company's current network, but said he hopes Apple Inc. will come around and allow Verizon to sell the phone for a new network it is building. The "4G" network hasn't yet opened for service and won't be complete next year.
post #45 of 109 (permalink) Old 2010-09-23, 06:31 PM
Veteran

I think this statement marks the demise of the CDMA iPhone rumour, as well as the beginning of the final countdown for CDMA. Once Verizon lights up its LTE, it will have an iPhone, and all CDMA smart or dumb phones will be phased out pretty soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in