Google Nexus One Review - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-25, 06:22 PM

If you didn't use all the AT& T data, can you finish it off in Canada, i.e. does it allow for data-roaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-25, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
There are no built-in ways to disable data on android. There are some free apps that will do it, but your best bet is to call your provider and have them disable data on your account.
I just updated my N1 to 2.2 and under Mobile Networks, there is an option named Data Enabled: enable data acces over Mobile network - this in addition to Data roaming option.
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I just updated my N1 to 2.2 and under Mobile Networks, there is an option named Data Enabled: enable data acces over Mobile network - this in addition to Data roaming option.
Great News. Seems like Google's really on the ball.

And to answer the question above. AT&T's prepaid service does not allow roaming of any sort, you just get cut right off.

post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
So far so good on not incurring data charges - I got a Rogers Pay as You Go account without any kind of data and I get a text from Rogers every time something on my N1 tries to get data over 3G telling me I need to get a data plan (as if ). I still receive the occasional text, which is credited against my PAYG balance (I don't do any texting and don't want any kind of text plan), but my N1 is working exactly as I want it to - it gets data only when I'm WIFI connected or when I pay for a "data pass" (24hour/20MB access for $2.99).

I, too, am loving this phone!
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 01:16 PM

A couple of questions for all you N1 users now that you have had it for a while.

1. How are you finding the screen resolution/performance in daylight?

2. How well (or not) do the capacitive buttons work?

I haven't pulled the trigger on the N1 yet but my finger is getting itchy.

Android rocks!
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 01:31 PM

The screen is visible in direct sunlight if you have the backlight cranked, though it's still not great. I long ago memorized the location of the brightness toggle so that I could do it blindly if I forgot before I went outside.

The capacitive buttons work well, though I really never use the search key. They feel a very tiny bit higher than where they look like they should be, but you get used to that very quickly.

Overall this is a fantastic phone. I've been waiting for an OTA update for FroYo but if you're impatient you could already have the first FroYo phone.
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

^ I agree. Also add though that sometimes the digitizer seems to get out of whack (i.e. you press somewhere on the screen and it thinks you pressed somewhere lower). That's kind of anoying but a quick off/on fixes it.

Little quirks like that asside I love the phone. Anyone with an itchy trigger finger I'd urge to get one fast while Google is still offering them. I think it will be a while until the big 3 have an equally capable Android phone (except for the Telus Milestone I guess) and especially since it's fully unlocked.
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 04:35 PM

I'm liking mine very much as well. Brightness outside hasn't been an issue, although I haven't used it much outside. According to this -

http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/a...o-walkthrough/

- there's supposed to be a brightness control improvement in the imminent OS update.

I also haven't had any real issues with capacitive button that aren't attributable to user error/"fat thumb" syndrome.
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

And as a Google Apps business user I can appreciate how much better it handles the Google Apps email than the iPhone.

It still amazes me how far Android has come in the last year. I know it's really 1.5 years old but I think it was really the Motorola Droid who made it take off. Thanks to heavy promotion from Verizon and Google I guess.

I love the N1 and Android. Most of all I love that we have a strong competition to the iPhone. I don't want the iPhone to go away - it certainly has its merits and fans - but rather I love having two strong competitors in the market.
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
And as a Google Apps business user I can appreciate how much better it handles the Google Apps email than the iPhone.

It still amazes me how far Android has come in the last year. I know it's really 1.5 years old but I think it was really the Motorola Droid who made it take off. Thanks to heavy promotion from Verizon and Google I guess.

I love the N1 and Android. Most of all I love that we have a strong competition to the iPhone. I don't want the iPhone to go away - it certainly has its merits and fans - but rather I love having two strong competitors in the market.
Finally, somone that can think logically!
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Why thank you, my fellow Albertan! And not that I'm trying to suck up but I don't hate Edmonton either We're stronger fighting together than we are against each other!
post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 10:52 PM
Veteran

I agree, it's nice to hear the voice of reason, rather than the oh-so-common fanboy.

Competition fuels innovation, so I'm glad to see Android providing a good option to the iPhone. I'm still tossing around the idea of grabbing a Nexus One (while I can), although part of me says I should wait a few months to see what happens since my current phone is working just fine.

Decisions, decisions.
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 01:18 AM
Veteran

Off-topic posts deleted. Let's get back to discussing the Nexus One.
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 11:02 AM
apn

Anyone here using the N1 on a paygo account?

I inadvertently took my W810i for a swim on the My long weekend. I've managed to dry it out to point where everything works except the LCD backlight

This is probably my trigger to jump into the smart phone arena, and I favour the N1 over being locked into Steve's closed universe.

My voice needs don't warrant a post-paid plan, but access to the internet and use of functions like GPS would be useful. I've also found SqueezeCommander; an Android app to remote control my Squeezeboxen.
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apn View Post
Anyone here using the N1 on a paygo account?
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by apn View Post
My voice needs don't warrant a post-paid plan, but access to the internet and use of functions like GPS would be useful.
I don't have a data plan, but my Nexus One works very well getting data over WIFI. If I'm out of WIFI range and want data, I can order 20MB/24 hrs worth from Rogers for $2.99. One thing to keep in mind about GPS - Nexus One does have a GPS receiver, but unless you get a third party GPS mapping app that saves maps to the "hard drive"/SD card, the mobile version of Google Maps, which requires a live data connection to download the map, doesn't work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in