Google Nexus One Review - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-10, 04:58 PM

Can Google N1 purchase be based on ecominic returns?

So, what is the best plan for using Google N1? This thread is not about the merits fo N1 vs. other smart phones.

Wind is not in Vancouver yet and there is no word on when they will be. Wind is also a bad choice if you really do not want a contract. If I buy the Wind compatible phone then I am stuck with them unless I sell the used phone and get another phone that works with Belus or Rogers. As I understnad it, the Wind phone is not useable on othe networks.

If I was to get N1 shipped here, then is there a plan provided by the incumbents that makes it worthwhile to buy my own phone? If the phone costs about $620 (full cost) then it takes about $17 per month in savings to pay for this purchase over three years, if the competing phones are given away for free, which they are not. Let's assume that a comparable phone can be bought for $200, so the incremental cost of have the Google G1 is abut $420. So the breakeven now is about $11.25 per month savings over 36 months.

Any thoughts on the logic of this decision making process? What is the best plan that warrant going down this path. I need to have data (I use about 40 MB per month) and I use a total of 100 minute total of voice per month, of which only about 40 minutes are outgoing. I would be considered a fairly light user. I think the data usuage might go down with Wifi use on the new phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-10, 05:27 PM

First off the N1 and the G1 are different phones. The G1 was the first android phone.

I don't know what their Vancouver plans are like but the Wind AWS version will also theoretically work on the Mobilicity and Shaw networks.

In terms of plans for the Big 3, you should call or visit a store and talk to a Rep. Keep in mind though that they will be eager to sell you a contract, and if you get a version of any phone for the Big 3 it will never work on any of the newcomers
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-11, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanagee1 View Post
So, what is the best plan for using Google N1? This thread is not about the merits fo N1 vs. other smart phones.

Wind is not in Vancouver yet and there is no word on when they will be. Wind is also a bad choice if you really do not want a contract. If I buy the Wind compatible phone then I am stuck with them unless I sell the used phone and get another phone that works with Belus or Rogers. As I understnad it, the Wind phone is not useable on othe networks.

If I was to get N1 shipped here, then is there a plan provided by the incumbents that makes it worthwhile to buy my own phone? If the phone costs about $620 (full cost) then it takes about $17 per month in savings to pay for this purchase over three years, if the competing phones are given away for free, which they are not. Let's assume that a comparable phone can be bought for $200, so the incremental cost of have the Google G1 is abut $420. So the breakeven now is about $11.25 per month savings over 36 months.

Any thoughts on the logic of this decision making process? What is the best plan that warrant going down this path. I need to have data (I use about 40 MB per month) and I use a total of 100 minute total of voice per month, of which only about 40 minutes are outgoing. I would be considered a fairly light user. I think the data usuage might go down with Wifi use on the new phone.
I think I understand the logic behind your question. IF (and that's a big if) you are willing to sign a contract, there may be money to be saved by accepting a phone subsidy. I recall reading that Bell (sometimes?) offers a lower monthly price to customers who bring their own phone but to my knowledge Rogers and Telus do not. It forces you to do the math to calculate the real value over of the subsidy over the months of the contract and then compare the monthly rates to carriers like Wind (and we assume, Mobilicity) who require you to buy the phone outright.

Then there are a lot of intangibles; what is the likelihood the monthly charges will increase/decrease over the term of your contract? do the start-ups offer satisfactory service where you will be using the phone? will you want to upgrade your phone more frequently than the contract provides? are you comfortable with buying/selling phones though sites like eBay and Craig's List? are you comfortable shopping for a phone at an independent phone retailer?

About 2.5 years ago I was very willing to sign a 36 month contract because I was reasonable sure the new carriers would only get up and rolling in 2010 and would need a few months to prove themselves (looks like I was right on that one); also, I got a very good monthly rate during the usual year-end/Chirstmas promotions (unlimited BB data for $15 has never been repeated by any carrier). If a comparable deal were to be available this Dec when my contract expires, I just might sign another multi-year commitment to same hundreds of dollars on a new handset. My guess now is that there won't be anything that will make me confident enough to commit to more than a year but hope I will be pleasantly surprised as 13+ carriers and re-sellers compete for customers in the Greater Toronto Area.

post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-18, 01:35 PM

outinthornhill writes:
Quote:
.., I'm deeply into Apple but I also support open systems and the idea behind Android. I'll be shopping for two smart phones in the last quarter of this year and will be comparing the 4th generation iPhone to the N1 and whatever else emerges for Android in the next 6 months. ....
I had a brief chance to play with a friend's N1 yesterday, and I have to concur with the OP (although I had no chance to take it out into the sunlight here in St. John's ... not this week anyway ...<g>...). He also showed me the following blog, Why Cellular companies should be very scared of Nexus One, which makes a very good argument for me to simply replace my Xperia (WinMo) with the N1 ASAP, as well as to investigate the Google Voice service for when it comes to Canada.

I may still wait for Apple to announce its iPhone HD, just to see if Apple will be countering the N1 on both fronts, but if not I have to believe the N1 (ie, its freedom from CSPs and Google services offered) may be the iPhone killer. I certainly hope Apple will at least offer the iPhone without CSP commitment, else I'm definitely turning towards the N1 (... possibly the Samsung Galaxy S, depending also on its availability).

cheerios from The Edge
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-19, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I think it's the iPhone OS 4.0 that's more important than the 4th generation iPhone hardware when it comes to comparing. After all, is it really going to be the difference between a 3.2MP and 5.0MP camera and small hw upgrades that will make the difference? I think the more significant thing is the added functionality that you'll get from iPhone OS 4.0. And you can get all of the details about that already.

So I think you probably have 95% of the criteria for making the decision already. There's really only 5% of the decision factor to wait for. Whether to wait to June 22nd or not to get the rest of picture may depend on how badly you need to upgrade.
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 01:59 PM

Hey NofC:

Thx for your very useful review of the GNI - it helped me decide to get one myself, which arrived a few days ago. Just wondering if you could answer a quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to in the manual. Is it possible to turn off the cell network receiver so that it doesn't download data without a prompt? My scenario is that I'd like to use GNI as a pay as you go phone and use the WIFI connectivity to do anything involving data. I don't really need data connectivity via cell network 95% of the time and I don't want to get a monthly data plan for the 5% of the time I'm outside of WIFI range. I read in the manual that I can disable "data roaming" when I'm not connected to my home cell network - is there a similar functionality when I AM connected to my home cell netowrk? Alternatively, is there a way to set the GNI to default to "data over WIFI" in preferance to "data over cell network"?

Any response much appreciated
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 03:46 PM

There are no built-in ways to disable data on android. There are some free apps that will do it, but your best bet is to call your provider and have them disable data on your account.
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 04:35 PM

If you delete (or maybe change) the APN data for your network provider you should be able to turn off data.

Android rocks!
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 06:14 PM

Thx for the helpful comments.

Also stumbled across another trick that appears to work - GNI has a "Wi-Fi sleep policy" in Advanced Wi-Fi Settings which determines when the GNI switches from accessing data via Wi-Fi to accessing data via cell network. One of the "Wi-Fi sleep policy" options is "never", i.e. if this option is selected, it appears the GNI will never switch from getting data via Wi-Fi to getting it via cell network, thereby (presumably) eliminating the risk that you'll run up big data download bills when you don't have a monthly data plan. On those rare occasions I want to get data via cell network, I can just change the option to something other than "never".

Only thing I'm not sure about is how it works when you're out of Wifi range, i.e. does "never" mean "never", even if there is no Wifi signal.
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-27, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I think it's the iPhone OS 4.0 that's more important than the 4th generation iPhone hardware when it comes to comparing.... So I think you probably have 95% of the criteria for making the decision already....
Not really ... The main attraction for the N1 is its ability to be purchased outright, in which case, I can shop around for the best V+D monthly package. It's certainly true that's not how the iPhone currently is marketed, but I expect Apple to feel the N1's heat, and I personally would not be surprised to see Apple adopt similar marketing. Afterall, it's not like Steve Jobs needs subsidies for attracting buyers to iPhones any longer. In any case, one can still hope ... and it would certainly be worth waiting to find out.

cheerios from the Avalon
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-04-27, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hey rarewolf, I'm totally on board with you if I'm interpreting your comments right and you're saying you hope Apple comes out with the 4th Gen iPhone unlocked.

I have my fingers crossed for that and I think there's a slimmer of hope since they marketed the iPad unlocked but unfortunatley I think the chances are low.

Back to the topic of turning off the data: when I'm in the US and I just want to use WiFi I put the phone in Airplane mode and enable WiFi. Like with the iPhone, WiFi works in Airplane mode on the N1. Now of course you won't have phone/txt services while in Airplane mode. I guess if you want that to keep working then jvincent's suggestion about changing the APN settings is probably the best bet.
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-23, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Gotta love this phone!

Took the phone down south and walked into an AT&T store. Told them that I wanted the $19.99 100MB of data only (Go Plan) and within minutes I was up an going with no problems at all. No need for any voice minutes, other charges, SIM card fees (they gave me the card for free), etc. $19.99 was all and barely anything for account setup - I think they took my name and that's it.

It was great. Then when I was out an about I had 3G data all the time. Used it for email, a little web browsing, and even a little streaming from the tv.com app. Actually I can't believe I didn't run out and use up my 100MB. I wish I knew how much of that I had actually used.

On the flight home, just popped the Bell SIM back in. It was a great experience.

It makes me sad though that Google closed the online store for this phone. It's probably the best phone I've ever used (yes, I like it better than my iPhone 3GS) but more significantly it was purchased unlocked. This whole process of waiting for the carriers to adopt new models, bastardize them with their custom ROMs, and lock them to their networks is frustrating. My view is that the carriers have us locked into a contract for the subsidy fee so don't also lock the phone! But I'm going off on a tangent. Point is that the SIM swapping was cheap, easy, and instant.
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-23, 06:17 PM

Just as an FYI, you can still get if from the web store. I think they will only be phasing that out once they get some brick and mortar presence.

Android rocks!
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
Gotta love this phone!

Took the phone down south and walked into an AT&T store. Told them that I wanted the $19.99 100MB of data only (Go Plan) and within minutes I was up an going with no problems at all. No need for any voice minutes, other charges, SIM card fees (they gave me the card for free), etc. $19.99 was all and barely anything for account setup - I think they took my name and that's it.

It was great. Then when I was out an about I had 3G data all the time. Used it for email, a little web browsing, and even a little streaming from the tv.com app. Actually I can't believe I didn't run out and use up my 100MB. I wish I knew how much of that I had actually used.

On the flight home, just popped the Bell SIM back in. It was a great experience.

It makes me sad though that Google closed the online store for this phone. It's probably the best phone I've ever used (yes, I like it better than my iPhone 3GS) but more significantly it was purchased unlocked. This whole process of waiting for the carriers to adopt new models, bastardize them with their custom ROMs, and lock them to their networks is frustrating. My view is that the carriers have us locked into a contract for the subsidy fee so don't also lock the phone! But I'm going off on a tangent. Point is that the SIM swapping was cheap, easy, and instant.
Does the phone auto-configure the APN settings when you switch between the AT & T and Bell SIMs?
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 2010-05-24, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes. In fact I was a little perplexed as to why I had to put the Bell APN information in manually the first time. With the AT&T SIM it worked it all out automatically. Everything was up and running in literally seconds.

And similarly when I put the Bell SIM back in everything automatically went back to normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in