Putting a cheap MicroSD card into a phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Putting a cheap MicroSD card into a phone

So I can buy a cheapo (new) 16GB MicroSD card for less than 1 dollar including shipping off of ebay (from HK powersellers). Or I can pay way more for a card from Futureshop.

Question is: what's the worst that could happen? The card dies, doesn't work, and losses the data (and apps) on it. It couldn't corrupt or damage the actual phone could it?

Just don't know why I should be paying for expensive MicroSD cards for cell phone content storage when they're so readily available for less than a buck online? Certainly not worth risking damaging your phone to save a modest amount of money yet at the same time, why spend more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 11:26 PM
Veteran

All of that can happen even from the card from FS.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 11:36 PM
Veteran

I would be surprised if those $1 MicroSD cards even have flash memory on them, but that's just me.

Not saying the cards you see at Future Shop aren't overpriced (they are), but I do recall quite a few cases of fake memory cards.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well for 92 cents from a power seller with 99% positive feedback and over 10,000 sales, I just might risk it.

One concern would be the speed, but in reality all of these phones ship with class-2 (the slowest) speed cards anyway.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 08:03 AM
Member #1

Please post your results. The only problem I could see is the possibility of causing problems when you insert and remove the card if its not constructed well.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 12:52 PM

Personally I'd go a little more mid-range, maybe a bit of a premium for a domestic seller with legitimate brand products, but you don't have much to lose at $1.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Actually it was a bit too good to be true. Millions of them on ebay for $1 and then in the last hour of the auction, there is a fight for it and the price goes up to $20-$30.

Ended up paying $23 myself for a 16GB. It could be a rip off but what the heck - I can afford a $23 risk in my life. Of course it's from a HK powerseller (as I said 99% approval on 10,000 and change sales).

So we'll see how it works out. I'm going to get a Nexus one. Pop the $23 16GB card and a Bell SIM into the N1 and see how it goes - yes I know that it's HSPA only with the N1 on Bell/Telus. (N1 ships with only a class-2 card anyway so I'm not worried about the speed.)

Could make for an interesting (or disppointing) week next week. Fingers crossed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 03:31 PM

Unless you run a custom ROM that pushes apps to the SD card, speed really doesn't matter.

The cameras on the smart phones aren't high enough resolution to matter and music doesn't push them hard either.

Android rocks!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I think it will be fine. I'll post back on how it works when I get it. But I'm going to eventually use it in the N1 and I need to get that first. I'll post about the N1 on Bell experience in the Bell forum.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 07:33 PM
Veteran

Probably hacked memory e.g. it's "16gb" but really 256mb that things it's 16gb
That, or they have people on standby to ensure the auctions always go for $x+

I sure hope you get 16gb after all for paying $23
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I doubt it. I've bought lots of things (batteries/cases) from HK power sellers. They've always been positive experiences.

These guys in China just get them cheap direct from the manufacturers. Take out the distribution, name brand markups, and retail costs and you can get a heck of deal.

When I get it I'll stick it into my computer's card reader (using an adapter I already have from a previous phone's microSD) and see if I can copy ~16GB of data onto it. I'd be really surprised if it was actually 256MB - otherwise these ebay sellers would be getting some negative feedback. But they always have over 99% positive feedback out of literally 10's of thousands of sales. And I have to say, I've given these HK guys positive feedback myself.

I think it's more likely that it just dies sooner or later.

Anyway, I'll see what happens for my $23. If it's crap, well I'll have to suck it up and move on with life
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 11:08 PM
Veteran

Yeah - I've had the same positive experiences with the HK powersellers on ebay.
And great customer service for the one thing that didn't work (a six-cell battery for Dell Mini9): gave me a full refund and didn't even ask me to ship the dud back.

I remember looking at a iPhone car charger for $19.99 at a Canadian retailer (The Source, maybe?), and the packaging had a manufacturer name on it. After some Googling and digging, I found the manufacturer's page for placing orders. In lots of 100, the price was like $1.64 or something like that; and when you got up to 1000, it was below $1.

I'm sure all of the stuff like memory cards come off the same assembly lines; it's the labels and packaging that costs the big $$.

I'd be surprised if you didn't get a good product; and if you do get a dud, I bet they'll replace it for you quickly. $23 for 16GB is a good price, but not absurdly low.
(It does lead one to ask, though, how/why Apple charges a $100 premium to go from a 16GB to 32GB iPod or iPad.......oh right - because they can, and people will pay it. )
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

And we're getting OT but I ordered a micro USB car charger for the N1 from a HK power seller for US$3.99 including shipping to replace the mini-USB one I've been using with my current phone.

And the leather belt holster for it for US$4.75. I have two iphone ones that I ordered the same way - watch it will probably end up being the same item I think the belt holsters actually come from the US. Still the lesson is that I order all of my cell phone cases (rubber, leather, etc) from ebay stores or power sellers for a fraction of what I'd pay locally.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Vodafone sends out 3000 HTC phones with a virus on the memory card:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20

I guess I'll be reformatting my Chinese one as soon as I get it
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 04:37 PM
rpr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in