iPhone users: what does 500MB look like? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 04:15 PM

i'm about to jump into the 21st century and purchase an iphone and a data plan. I'll be paying out of my own pocket.

How are u guys tracking data usage? Is it an 'app' ( $ or free)?

Can't decide if I should get a 500Mb/1Gb/2Gb plan.

Typical weekly usage would be

3-4h surfing/week
IM'ing my wife at home
check markets / sports scores a couple times per day

P

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 04:26 PM

The iPhone has a data received/sent counter built-in - it's in the Settings app.

I have a 2Gb plan and under heavy usage I'll do maybe 600Mb of that in a month. Heavy usage is defined as running out of battery before running out of internet.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
The iPhone has a data received/sent counter built-in - it's in the Settings app.

I have a 2Gb plan and under heavy usage I'll do maybe 600Mb of that in a month. Heavy usage is defined as running out of battery before running out of internet.
Hkaye,

Thx for the reply..... why don't u switch to a cheaper plan if ur heavy month is 600Mb?

P

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 05:23 PM

I don't think there is a cheaper plan. I got my plan quite a while ago. A quick look at rogers and their basic plan is more than what I'm paying right now.

2Gb data
250 minutes daytime
unlimited night and weekends calling
unlimited text messaging
visual voice mail
plus other stuff I don't use

$60/month + service access fee + plus taxes.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 08:00 PM

Just checked the rogers.com portal. You can also track your data and voice minutes on rogers.com as well - that's assuming you're going to use rogers as your cell phone provider.

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 12:40 AM

Oh there's always cheaper.

ive got

250 min
Unlimited eve/Weekends at 6pm
Unlimited Incoming
Unlimited Txt
8cent/min Long Distance
Caller ID/ Voice Mail
500 Mb Data

For 53.11 tax in

My Wife has

200 min
Unlimited eve/Weekends at 5pm
2500 Txt
Caller ID/ Voice Mail/ Who Called
500 Mb Data

For 48.03 tax in

but you can always negotiate better. im sure there are better deals then mine!
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 01:08 AM
Rookie

I got a 3 gig plan simply because I knew I would be using the Sirius radio app a lot and I am glad I did. Two weeks into my plan and I have already used over 750mb of my quota. Then again, even 3 gigs may be too much!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 02:11 AM

How do you negotiate a better plan? Seems like I got no bargaining chips, except to say, I'll cancel, which means I would have to pay a cancelation fee. Seems more like poker then negotiating and they'll just call my bluff. I think the cancelation fee is bigger than any savings right now.

I know when I canceled my cable TV they offered me 20% off if I stayed for a year, but I wasn't interested and I had no cancelation fee for the cable TV.

I guess I can wait until my 3 year contract is up to negotiate now that every cell company carries the iPhone and it's not a Roger's exclusive.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 04:08 AM

I think if you sign up data plan first time with Rogers you get first month (or 2 months) unlimited data. So sign up with 500MB/mo first. Use as much data as you would (or as normal as you would) and estimate your monthly use when it hits 100MB (you can check your up-to-date usage on Rogers website).
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 04:26 AM

redzone, have you got your plans lately or have you had those for a while? Seems like the plans these days aren't favoring new-signup/renewal.

hkaye, how long were you into your contract when you were bargaining. It makes a big difference if your contract is up for renewal than if you are just 1 yr into your 3-yr contract.

I'm just over 2 yrs into my 3-yr contract with Rogers, which means eligible for hardware upgrade. I'm looking into either bargaining for hardware upgrade now or wait for another year when my 3-yr contract is up which means bigger bargaining power by then. In the past, I always bargained when 2 years into each 3-yr contract because I always signed up for 3-yr contract to get the biggest discount for hardware upgrade. As long as I stick with Rogers and do hardware upgrade every 2 years, signing up a 2-yr or 3-yr contract makes no difference at all (other than getting bigger discounts on hardware upgrade obviously). However, lately Rogers plans aren't very atrtractive compare to my existing plan so that's why I'm on the fence to upgrade now or wait for another year.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 10:36 AM

I have about 2 years left in my contract.

I'm pretty happy with the package I have now. I was just trying to answer why I don't get another package with less data - mostly because it would seem cheaper to keep the package I have now because there aren't any less expensive packages available from Rogers - at least publicly.

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 11:43 AM

Both plans were given to me in the last 2 weeks on 3 year agreements.

My plan was a new activation through a corporate plan.(OPSUE Ontario Gov) If you work for any company you should always find out if you can get a corporate rate as they are your best bet for a new activation.

My Wife was on month to month after completing a 2 year agreement. When i received my corporate plan i called in to Fido on her behalf and got them to offer me the deal above to stay with Fido and not switch over to bell( as i could get her the same rate that i pay)

If you are already locked into a plan and your not in the last 6 months or so your pretty much SOL as they have no reason to negotiate with you but you can still try. Just be very polite and chat with the CSR and they may offer you something. You could probably call in and say something about WIND coming out and they may offer you a deal as i suspect the big 3 will be very aggressive in the coming months to prevent WIND from stealing clients.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in