Black Berry Messenger 5.0 officially available for all BlackBerry models! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Black Berry Messenger 5.0 officially available for all BlackBerry models!

Black Berry Messenger 5.0 is no longer beta, its now publically available via Black Berry App World. The version is 5.00.33, most people I know were using the pre-release beta version 5.0.0.18 which did not work on Bellus blackberries, many compaints were their contact list erasing or the program was getting deleted off their handheld when they ran the pre-release OTA install link,

Some things I've noticed new in the final release of 5.0, no more ability to see when a contact is talking on the phone? (was in the pre-release, but they took it out for some reason?) this is a good feature because people will im you but if you are on the phone they will see the notice so they wont get mad at you for not replying right away, since you could talk for quite a lengthy time in some cases. and most people dont checkl their pins when they are on a phone call.

another is the ability to detect someones location, its been removed in the final release of bbm 5. i turned it off in the pre release cus i dun wan no one to find out where i am. thirdly, the bar codes are still there, which is cool, and the ability to save my contact list offline on a server or download it to my memory stick is also cool, it was available in the beta as well.

Thanks, take care ,and ttyl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 04:00 PM

Downloaded this morning. Nice upgrade. I like the new features.
I also updated my storm to OS 5.0.230 and it runs well on it. Overall this is the Storm that should have been released last year.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

thanks, im still waiting for the 3G version of the storm to come out, the one that will support WCDMA 850/1900 as well as the usual GSM quad band...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 07:17 PM
Veteran

I like this version....interesting use of barcodes for group memberships...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 09:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Downloaded this morning. Nice upgrade. I like the new features.
I also updated my storm to OS 5.0.230 and it runs well on it. Overall this is the Storm that should have been released last year.
Agreed on both counts.

I've been running OS 5.0.230 for just over a week, and find it to be a fairly good OS overall. There are some little glitches I've found, but they aren't too bad.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-10-09, 01:38 AM

A head's up ... do not use QuickLaunch (if you have it) to run BBM 5. It will crash BBM forcing an uninstall, service book deletion and receive, several battery pulls, and just a general headache to get it restored. It's a QL bug, not a BBM one ... they will probably patch it shortly.

Otherwise, fairly impressed with 5.0.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-10-09, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

thx for the heads up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in