BlackBerry doubles apps in three months - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

BlackBerry doubles apps in three months

Research In Motion Ltd. doubled the programs available online for its BlackBerry phones and will open its Web store to more customers abroad, striving to lure users away from rival models such as Apple Inc.’s iPhone.

RIM opened App World in the first week of April to customers in Canada, the U.S. and U.K. with about 1,000 applications.

In case you're wondering Apple has about 50,000 Apps for the iPhone / iPod Touch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 02:21 PM

I did always find it a bit strange that blackberry was so thin on useful apps.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 02:44 PM

There was always useful applications, there juste wasn't a centralized repository like the Apple store. And don't kid yourself; not all of the 50,000 applications on Apple store are useful!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Considering the average person might use 5 or 10 apps and that many Apple apps are me-to apps or fart apps, I think 2,000 is a LOT of apps.

I doubt they'll ever come close to the quantity Apple has but do you really need 50,000 apps to be useful?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 04:45 PM

Up until recently, the Blackberry was marketed to the corporate world. The blackberry is exceptionally good at that. And the Blackberry sucks as a consumer phone. Speaking as someone who had a Blackberry on BIS for 1.5 years before my work finally installed a BES, I speak by experience. Desktop Manager is atrocious, the only way to truly enjoy a Blackberry is with wireless sync.

This probably explains why the blackberry was "lagging" behind Apple in terms of consumer applications. And like hugh said, fart apps get old quickly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-09, 11:15 AM

I am with Despe666 on this. RIM seems to be missing opportunities left, right and centre. Its investors better hope it can maintain a solid corporate base for a a few years because it has lost the consumer race. Even the Financial Post declared RIM's app store a loser in a feature report a couple of weeks ago.

BlackBerries handle mail and messaging well and some have a keyboard. After that they are also-rans. Web-browsing is poor, multi-media and GPS simply don't work on many models, software updates to fix problems are vapour-ware. RIM's reputation for turning out a durable and reliable device vanished with the launch of the toy Pearl (which I made the mistake of acquiring "free" on a contract with Telus) and the fiasco which surrounds the Storm (to make it work, open battery compartment, tape a business card under the cover, replace and type with crossed fingers). Comparing the BlackBerry app store to the Apple app store is like comparing shopping in Havana to shopping in Hong Kong or Tokyo.

I have been waiting 18 months for "coming-soon" support of MAC OS-X for BlackBerry while using "sorta-work,sometimes" third party software to sych and load files. There has been one "official" operating system update although many unofficial versions have been leaked.

I want to prefer BlackBerry and support a local company. I am proud of the investment RIM and its founders have made in research and the University of Waterloo. However, I am anxious that RIM's corporate history will replicate Nortel's but at warp speed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-09, 11:27 AM

I don't think Blackberry's dominance in the enterprise world will be threatened soon. The level of control and security Blackberry's solution provides is unmatched.

I agree though, in the consumer world, I don't think they (or anybody for that matter) can match the iPhone. Apple just "gets it" as far as consumers are concerned. How many touted "iPod killers", or "iPhone killers" have come and gone?

And I too have made the mistake of falling for a free Pearl... I would get a Curve or the new Tour for my next phone without hesitation though. Only 6 months before I'm eligible for an upgrade!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 09:39 AM

I used to work for a company that provided services to RIM, and RIM has never focused on the consumer market in that they considered nonsensical applications that had no use in the enterprise world! Their main focus was corporate applications and those were to be developed in house or by specialty software vendors. There are literally hundreds of thousands of apps developed in the corporate world for specific functions. This is not to say there are not usable consumer apps as there are many of those too. It just has not been their focus. Now that the corporate enterprise world is fairly saturated with blackberries, they need to find new markets, yup maybe preoccupied with NHL teams, but the consumer world is more or less in the hands of the inept three! RIM/Blackberry are not in the business of developing applications, I have not looked, but the SDK used to be free to download, I still believe it is to this day!?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 12:50 PM

I just wish I could use BBAW without BIS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in