Best plan for long distance - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-06, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Best plan for long distance

Hi gang,

I'm in the process of looking at cell phone plans and figured you might have some advice.

What I'm looking for is a plan that allows me to call throughout Canada and to the U.S. I'll be placing 90% of my calls from within the GTA area. I'd likely need 300-400 minutes a month. I'm thinking I'd do some texting, maybe once or twice a day and depending on the phone I get surf the net every once in a while.

Any suggestions on what provider I should go with and what plan I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Al.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 04:20 PM

All their plans are on their websites, but you might be able to get better deals if you can get an employee plan some how. I get 10 cents a minute in Canada for example on a corporate plan.

You can get these plans by being members of clubs also, like Air Miles etc.. but I dont know if the rates are as good.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-09, 10:32 AM

Look for plans aimed at business users. The providers tend to load-up consumer plans with features aimed at heavy multi-media using youths.

If your usage is high (minutes and LD) but the number of distinct contacts small (i.e. most calls are to office, home, same telephone numbers) you might win with a favourite-five, favourite-ten option that includes North American LD. These will give you unlimited calling between your chosen numbers and may be less expensive than making North America your local calling area. However, watch for roaming charges when you are in the USA; you may be able to call US numbers from Canada but not call home when you are in the USA. Again, some business plans offer discounts on roaming.

Sadly, not all clients are equal. Users who work for big, national corporations have access to plans and rates, for their personal use, that shame the published consumer rates. The rest of us are out of luck. i spent my career in the public service where such a "deal" would be considered a potential conflict of interest and where it was expressly forbidden to ask for or accept the "government rate" when checking into a hotel or renting a car for personal use. As a "regular consumer" I pay more so others can enjoy their corporate perks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-09, 01:38 PM
Veteran

I called in to Rogers about 8 months ago to look at better LD options for my wife's phone. Out of the blue they offered me 1,000 minutes of LD for $5. I took it, of course. So that package is out there - not sure precisely how to get it, but it exists.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 09:37 AM

1000 minutes is a lot of LD - begs the question how many minutes are you and she using each month? i expect all the providers have options available to high-spenders that the average user would not be offered.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 05:53 PM

The best plan for your need

According your requirement, my suggestion will be " Telus prepaid one number unlimited" Plus " Magic cell number ".

For Telus prepaid "one number unlimited", your cost will be $7 for every 30 days.
For " Magic cell number", will be another $9 per month. Combine this two services, you basically could get unlimited local and most long distance for free in Canada.

However, you won't be able to know who call you (limitation on Magic number), and Telus will charge all text massage for 0.15 on sned/received ( you can also choose to pay extra $5 for 250 massages send /unlimited received)

Google both of them and you should be able to get the trick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in